• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this is good or bad

http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...303089996/1193

Daimler, BMW plan to swap 7% stakes, report says

Automotive News
    March 8, 2009 - 9:45 am ET

MUNICH -- Daimler and BMW plan a share swap to boost cooperation between the two automakers, the German magazine Der Spiegel said today.

Daimler would take a seven percent stake in BMW, and BMW would have the same stake in Daimler, the magazine said in a report on its Web site.

Der Spiegel said that the Quandt family, which owns 46 percent of BMW, opposes cross-ownership. Family head Johanna Quandt, her son Stefan and his sister Susanne Klatten fear Daimler would launch a takeover of BMW, as happened when Daimler-Benz seized full control of Chrysler soon after a much-touted “merger of equals” in 1998.

The German government has been informally approached to find out whether it would overrule any opposition to cross-ownership from antritrust authorities, the magazine said.

Der Spiegel said Daimler and BMW will shortly announce details of a proposed cooperation for purchasing components. Joint purchasing is expected to save the two companies several hundred millions of euros in the short-term and billions in the mid-term.

The magazine quoted a BMW manager as saying: “We will get closer together through this cooperation; perhaps more will come out of it.”

Daimler and BMW have both been hit hard by a steep decline in luxury car sales during the global economic recession.

Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Not good! The merger with Benz was witnessed by more cheap quality plastic interior in mercedes cars, much an american feature!
      Same went for Jaguar when merged with ford! They responded to customer complaints in their new XK8, and XF models
      My opinion ;)
      sigpic
      Audi R8 - White / Blk
      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Well, tough times require tough measures.

If it can be formulated as a leasing contract where each giant would use the assembly lines/R&D departments/management resources of the other then I think both will emerge intact after the recession.

Brokendown for the simpler audience;

You're a BMW employee at R&D and now instead of researching new paint technology for BMW (your employer) only you'd also be researching new composites for body panels for Merc for the same salary. Well maybe a little increment but that's it. However, Merc doesn't "own" a stake at the R&D facility of BMW, but BMW is bound by lease contract to carry out this task for Merc for a predefined amount of time.

Comment

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens... it'll hopefully at least be interesting u know?! :D
          sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

I'm not sure about this.... :(
            sigpic
            07' HFP Accord | Current
            HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Originally posted by ahmad.alkhalil View Post
              I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens... it'll hopefully at least be interesting u know?! :D
              You should be the one telling us what can go wrong with such a deal!!! Mr. Lawyer :D

Comment

hehe... I'll have to check the documents before I can comment... MR. PRESIDENT!!! :D
                sigpic

Comment

Presidents hate words like "if" and "have to before" :taser:!!!

Comment

and lawyers hate assumptions of fact before reading documents :starwars:
                    sigpic

Comment

Tayyeb, bottomline: Rental VS. Purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                        ...Der Spiegel said Daimler and BMW will shortly announce details of a proposed cooperation for purchasing components. Joint purchasing is expected to save the two companies several hundred millions of euros in the short-term and billions in the mid-term...
                        This is old news, in a way it is good because it will lower production costs (parts will be cheaper), but from what I have read it mainly for common electrical items like batteries and certain mechanisms
                        ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Working...
                        X