Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need opinions, Is this normal??????

Hi everyone,
    The summer days are here, and the heat seems to be killing my car!!!!
    What i'm trying to say is that during morning times till about 5pm, i can't drive my E46 M3 hard! it heats up all the way to the red mark (right at the start of red mark)!
    I have to drop the gear ratio to the lowest (SMG) and shift like a grandpa! i shift so early, it pisses me off!
    Thats the only way to get it not to heat up!

Keep in mind my car is Gulf Spec!

A friend of mine is telling me i have a problem, but i've checked my car about a month ago, just as inspection, and thank God, absolutely nothing was wrong with the car.

Is that a common problem for the E46 M3s????

What can I do if it is a problem????

Thanks...
    Last edited by LSB_M3; 04-06-2008, 12:10 PM.
    sigpic
    Audi R8 - White / Blk
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

No it's not a common problem and totally not justified that it's hot outside (well, kuwait is about the hottest country in the world for some reason!!). Tariq and Abu Zaid had their M3s heating up while sitting in traffic together, but I'm not convinced it's a common problem.

I'd change the thermostat and bleed the radiator and coolant lines out of air. Still, heating up or normal, I wouldn't push my car when it's above 33C outside simply because the intake is sucking in hot air that does nothing but make me feel guilty!

Check your water pump as well and upgrade to this one:

Link: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=STE%2030330

Comment

Its not even pushing the car, but driving normal! (how the hell do u drive an M3 ayham! lol)
      I actually just remembered that one time i was driving around looking for a place and i was lost, etc. i was all the way to red mark and then i got a warning sign on my dash. the sign turned out to be related to the SMG gear box. all it said in the manual. is stop immediately and check it with dealer. it was a yellow circle sign (the lines of the circle have edges on them).
      at that moment i found the place, parked, and when i came back after maybe half an hour, started the car and the warning sign was off.
      the car heated up again, but no warnings
      sigpic
      Audi R8 - White / Blk
      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

What's the temperature outside now??

That sign is the SMG pump sign...

Comment

it was about 45C, lol
          sigpic
          Audi R8 - White / Blk
          Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
            What's the temperature outside now??

That sign is the SMG pump sign...
            OH NOOOOO DONT MENTION THAT WORD!!!!!!! ITS EXPENSIVE AS HELL, LOL!!!!!
            sigpic
            Audi R8 - White / Blk
            Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Could be the SMG oil pressure dropping cuz it's TOO DAMN HOT it thinnes the oil miserably. Any lag while shifting??

But still, these cars are good to handle beyond that temperature! Change your T-stat and bleed the radiator.

Comment

Wisshooo hatha el "LAG"? ha3????
                translation: So whats this "LAG" thing you are refering to Mr. Ayham.
                The car shifts just fine.
                sigpic
                Audi R8 - White / Blk
                Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Shifting lag, is shifting lag!!!!!! i.e. sluggish gear changes as if the clutch is slipping...

Comment

LSB...dont think the SMG has anything to do with the temperature going up. thats a different problem altogether. My guess is the system acting funny. Have you seen the light come up again?

regarding the heating, I would go with what ayham said. water pump, fan, radiator.. these could be the culprits. if the car is overheating when its standstill, id say your fan is about to give way. listen to the fan during idling, if its at a constant speed (running high) then its a sign of failure.

Ideally, the fan speed should be regulated based on the relative temperature of the engine.
                    ________
                    America's next top model forum
                    Last edited by Wazif; 18-04-2011, 07:34 AM.
                    Current
                    E92 M3 - Mineral White
                    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                    E36 318is
                    E39 540i ///M sport
                    VW CC
                    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

back to your question..... the car overheats pushing the needle slightly above the middle. Mine goes up slightly when i drive harsh during the day (35-45C). and the same with rafik (correct me if i'm wrong) but it never goes all the way up to the red zone.

when i abuse the car it goes slightly up but below the dot. When i go gentle on it drops back to normal again.

EDIT: Ok guys the problem is solved… this dude faced a similar heating problem.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=148031

in short it’s the water pump.

Comment

ok Bruno: ..... what about our temperature.... why does it over heat when driving bit (Racing Style) .... is that normal or do we have a problemo !!
                        Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                        Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                        Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                        Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                        1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                        eMail:
                        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Well, when i stop the hard driving, the tempreture does go down and u can see it. when i stop, lets say at a traffic light, same thing, goes down!
                          Its only the hard driving during the day (11am-5pm).
                          It goes up quick, but also goes down the same!

From what i'm eading, It seems like an E46 M3 problem!
                          sigpic
                          Audi R8 - White / Blk
                          Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

So it doesnt over heat when standing still, and i never hit the red area, but was right there standing at the door!
                            sigpic
                            Audi R8 - White / Blk
                            Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

guys i think this is a regular thing in our climate... i've been asking around and got confirmations from many individuals who own M3s and all said the same.

tip of the day take it easy in summertime or you will end up without an M... i would like to here comments from ayham, ahmad, and the rest

Comment

Working...
                              X