Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need the experts!!! How to install this shift light!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need the experts!!! How to install this shift light!!!

Hi,
    My friend is installing a shift light in his E46 M3, a very nice kind. His mechanic installed it however needs to know what this statement means:
    GREEN WIRE - Connect onto the ECU tacho signal Wire or the ECU igniter trigger wire
    Can someone say it in arabic??? The shift light is connected, and lights up when the engine starts. but that last green wire is not connected in order to set up the RPM range.
    Here are the complete instructions as per manual:

Installation Instructions

Caution: under no circumstances is the DS II’s Signal wire (Green Wire) to
    be connected to a high voltage ignition source e.g. the coil negative.

RED WIRE - 12v ignition Positive ECU terminal wire
    BLUE WIRE - Negative ECU terminal wire
    GREEN WIRE - Connect onto the ECU tacho signal Wire or the
    ECU igniter trigger wire
    Once installed, when the ignition is switched on, the unit will do an opening ceremony
    indicating that it is receiving power and Earth.

Thanks!!!
    sigpic
    Audi R8 - White / Blk
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Well i think that the green wire should be installed to the Speedometer ECU wire :)

As tachometer means a speed meter :D
    sigpic
    iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
    Falcons Garage
    Carbotech

Comment

Originally posted by Bashar M. View Post
      Well i think that the green wire should be installed to the Speedometer ECU wire :)

Can u say it in arabic. We have to tell the mechanic where? lol
      sigpic
      Audi R8 - White / Blk
      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

u need to find the tachometer (rpm) signal wire and attach the green wire this should be attached to your dash board from behind or check your ECU pins and know which one is the tacho signal and attach the green wire to the wire attached to that pin
        as for the "ECU igniter trigger wire" i think it is the ignition signal coz the ignition signal can still give the rpm figure as u fire once every 2 revolutions
        but my recommendation is find the tacho signal easier and safer
        I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bashar M. View Post

correction tacho means rpm dial (rpm) not speedometer (km/h)

Comment

well actually an RPM (rev per. Minute) is a measure of rotational speed, and KM/H is also another measure of speed.... And Tacho Means speed :)

But regarding the wire going where, its make since that it should go to the RPM wire in ur gauge cluster.....since it will need the RPM signal to decide when to illuminate :)
            sigpic
            iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
            Falcons Garage
            Carbotech

Comment

^ @ bashar ........ok boss :)
              but for u LSB_M u need an electircian not a mechanic
              if any one has the manual it is so easy to know the tacho wire coz it is usually color coded

Comment

The green wire from your shift light assembly should connect to the RPM gauge for it to understand at what RPM to illuminate.
                You need to get the schematic diagram (wiring diagram) and pin configuration of that specific model year E46M3, try using the TIS software. BMW garages should have it.

Then, locate the RPM signal wire and pin on the ECU side. Find some way (mechanic) to connect the green shift light wire to that specfic pin/wire on the ECU side without causing any short circuit or damage. It will cost you a new ECU, not something you want!!!

The above is relevant to your question, but not using the ignitor trigger signal. I do not assume responsibility if you fry anything !
                sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

the wire connection should be "spliced"
                  meaning that u have a Y connection after u attach the wire

Comment

Can someone tell me what i should tell my mechanic in arabic. if u want pm it
                    sigpic
                    Audi R8 - White / Blk
                    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

the X16 is the tacho signal it is supposed to be a black wire
                      NOTE that this is for 2001 M3 so use it for reference only and please make sure this applies on your friend's car
                      Last edited by mahmoud_bedewi; 04-04-2009, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mahmoud_bedewi View Post

the X16 is the tacho signal it is supposed to be a black wire
                        NOTE that this is for 2001 M3 so use it for reference only and please make sure this applies on your friend's car
                        So tell the mechanic to connect it to X16 if this is the same as my friends M3?
                        I'm lost! lol :please:
                        sigpic
                        Audi R8 - White / Blk
                        Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Thanks for the PM mahmoud. I will print out this whole thread and take it to the mechanic. Now he is the type that fixes boards (those green mother boards) and other wiring stuff like that. I believe he should know.
                          To tell you the truth how would i know who is an electrician. they are all mechanics at the industrial area in kuwait! :)
                          sigpic
                          Audi R8 - White / Blk
                          Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

And just so that we both know, if the wire is connected as its suppose to. will this ever have any negative effect on ECU or the car itself???
                            Would u say, never install such a thing? most probably it will cause problems?
                            sigpic
                            Audi R8 - White / Blk
                            Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

If you ask me, I'd rather NOT tamper with any wiring in the car unless it were necessary.
                              And for a shift light I'd pass and not touch the wiring. It could happen that let's say, the shift light short circuits for some reason and fries whatever it's connected to. That's a bad thing, a very bad thing.

It's a risk, but accidents such as a short circuit are rare if installaltion is done properly. But, to feel safe I'd rather not have anything .
                              sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                              Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                              LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                              P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                              Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Working...
                              X