X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust sound

Hello guys,

Hope all is good.

Ok, about the exhaust sound, my car farts! Yes. Specially when im going uphill, usually over flyovers, I am at a constant speed, it farts. That is exactly how it sounds as well so I dont really have any other way to describe it. :) But its a deep sound. Like the stomach is really upset.
    Anywho, the sound doesnt come when I accelerate going uphill.

Even when accelerating it keeping a very light foot on the accelerator, it does the same.

I know the sound itself or if someone would drive the car himself would have a better suggestion, but still, if anyone would have any clue as to why this is happening, please let me know. Would really appreciate it.

I havent been finding time to visit X service or any other garage but would do so as soon as I get time.

Thanks a lot in advance guys.
    Cheers!

Alright, is your exhaust aftermarket? How long has it been on the car? Decat?

My E36 does the same, but I call it backfiring cuz that's what it does when I left off...Gosh isn't it sinfully sweet! It's like "spitting" rather than "farting" really...I don't mind testing it for you sometime next week bro...

Comment

make sure that the exhaust is stable 100% over all RPMs

Comment

:sorry: gents, but does any smell comes out????? :lol:

Comment

Interesting subject,bisho, how do you stabilize an axhaust?
          I will leave it to the exhaust doctors!
          Last edited by The Caveman; 23-04-2009, 08:22 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

No it doesnt smell akanso. Or atleast i wouldt know. Need to ask the driver behind :)
            As far as i know it is not aftermarket. I bought it second hand.
            Ayham, i dont think it is backfire. It really is a "fart" sound :).
            I think another post which had mulitple queries included the same issue. So I guess i should go visit one of the garages there in Rashidiya?
            Just needed a rough advise form you guys before i do. Just to know how much i would be looking at to get it fixed.
            Thanks a lot guys.

Comment

if it's a fart sound and it's that obvious then i assume you have a hole somewhere down the exhaust pipes. any exhaust shop can re-weld it once you detect it.

Comment

Well, if it's there all the time, then you have a leak somewhere...

Comment

Check your spark plugs and coils such sound is generated when the cylinder is not firing up and petrol is there..... its not ur exhuast mate :)

when the cylinder is not burning the petrol inside it effeciantly, ull hear a deep sound from ur exhuast like a heart beat or sth.

So I'd suggest checking ur coil pack and spark plugs since if they are old (failing) such sound appears before the hated hesitation :)
                  sigpic
                  iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                  Falcons Garage
                  Carbotech

Comment

Hey thanks a lot guys.
                    However, i dont think it is the sparkplugs. I believe they were changed on my "honey-bees" (beige beemer :P) last visit to the garage.
                    There is one thing i forgot to mention earlier though.
                    The RPM decreases a little when the sound comes. Its only for a second but thats what happens. Going uphil, the sound comes and simaltaenously the RPM decreases a little.
                    Hope this would help in further advises.
                    Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate the response im getting from this group.
                    Long live all!

Comment

Well, that's an important piece of info....

It supports what Bashar suggested, it has to do with your ignition.

Comment

can you post a vid?

Comment

OK. will do that. if i remember :P
                          So basically the video of the RPM right? OK.
                          Any recomended garage for this? Im looking for cheap :$

Comment

change ur coils buddy :) if ur spark plugs are good....
                            sigpic
                            iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                            Falcons Garage
                            Carbotech

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                              Any garage recommendations? Im looking for cheap over here *embarassed*
                              Ill try to put a video as well, if i remember that is, but it is exactly as im describing.
                              The sound is not constant. I mean its not there all the time. It only comes when i press on it a little. If i floor it, the sound is a normal 323i. Happens mostly when going uphill (easy foot on the pedal i guess). RPM decreases for a second. It happens on intervals. say after every 2 or 3 seconds, when goin uphill. Straight road no regular interval.

I think ive said too much :D
                              THanks a lot guys.!

Comment

Working...
                              X