Known M3 SMG Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Known M3 SMG Problems

The experiance that I have had with many BMW M3 SMG has not always been the best, most of the problems I have had related to the SMG.

Below are some of the problems I have experienced and the potential remedies that have worked for me!

Accumulator pressure loss

I have had to replace many accumulators due to loss of hydraulic pressure. Apparently, the accumulators
    do loose pressure over time, especially if the car is driven in a fairly 'spirted' fashion.. flat changing, club days, etc..

The most telling symptom is the long 'buzz up' when the the drivers door is opened upon entering the car.
    Typically, after the car has not been driven for a while (say overnight) the hydraulic fliud flows back into the reservior, upon opening the driver's door in the morning there is a 'buzzing' sound as the accumulator pumps the fliud back into the clutch mechanism.

This should gerenally take up to 10 seconds to complete. If this takes longer there is fair chance that the pressure is not holding in the accumluator unit. Another tell-tail symptom is that startup buzzing when the door is opened even straight after driving the car.
    As the SMG unit requires this hydraulic fliud to operation the clutch, if left uncheck it can result in non-selection of gears, particlularly 2nd and reverse.

The only fix for this is to replace the accumulator unit which can be quite costly.

Intermittent SMG light on.

Cheap and fast fix would be to check the SMG relay and its base for burn marks caused by the pump drawing a large amount of current on start up.There was a recall on some of the early SMG2 cars and that was to replace the SMG relay and its base (socket).

SMG Reprogramming

I have reprogrammed many SMG1/2 control units. This is a factory/dealer option which is released with other software updates relating to numerous components and models.

What the latest program gives you is a slightly quicker change 1st to 2nd but not by much as these still have to work within BMW specs!

As enhancements are made to the SMG programs are made by BMW and sent to each dealer as part of a general software upgrade, who may or may not install this. In my experiance I had to only do an upgrade when asked by the cars owner and not as a standard scope service.

With the advent of the SMG2 the orginal SMG1 updates are becoming less frequent. I would suggest that when you next take your car in for a scheduled service, you request that they update the SMG software to the latest version they have... (warranty cars upgrade is free)This will not give you "super fast" gear changes but the smoothness and speed improvement you do get will make a difference.

Gearshift slipping out of position

This could be caused by a locking ball and spring which is fitted to the rear of the gearbox to lock each each gear shift in possition.If the spring collapses
    there will no tension on the ball to lock the gear into place!

HOPE THIS INFO HELPS!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Shak; 14-07-2009, 09:38 PM.

Defo a life saver thread!

Thanks for the update Shak...Them SMG failures are getting more and more frequent.

Comment

Manuel FTW,
      SMG and Autos FTL
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
      Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
      Schrick cams
      Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
      Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
      KW Coilovers V3
      WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

sanks for ze info dr shak :bow:

Comment

Originally posted by alquazi View Post
          Manuel FTW,
          SMG and Autos FTL
          :spank2:

SMG is the best :Guns:

thanx Shak :D
          Last edited by akanso; 15-07-2009, 09:38 AM.

Comment

:goodpost:

Thanks shak
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Comment

man i cant tell that by the end of this discription u was totally exhausted becaus ethe last paragraph contains spelling errors and some missing text, thanx anyway ;)

Comment

Thanks for the information Shak... u really are speaking to most of us who have been having these stupid SMG issues and can't figure out what the hell is going on :)

+1 to what the President said
                  sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

sigpic
                    07' HFP Accord | Current
                    HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Working...
                    X