Long haul/heat problems? E60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long haul/heat problems? E60

Right, just curious if anyone has any guesses as to what this could be.

A few weeks ago, I drove to abu dhabi and it was over 45. Traffic was bad and we had a hard time finding where we were going so total time in car was about 2 hours. Car started having a rough idle and a drop in revs (like a chug) at press of gas, but once in the revs it was okay. (Not a fun problem to have in Abu Dhabi traffic, really).

After a two hour meeting, it was fine, made it home no problems.

Last Thursday, drove to Abu Dhabi for another 4 hour meeting, no problems. On the way back, I had to make a couple of pit stops so the car sat idle with my colleague in it, end destination was Sharjah. Just after Diera, the traffic started stacking up a bit - problem came back. I had an idea and turned off my AC, rolled down the windows to sweat it out. Figured I'd run it by a mechanic friend of mine in Al Qusias(sp) and see what he thought of it. Turns out, he's in Iran (drats), but just before getting there, the car stopped doing it and ran fine.

Turned the AC back on and it was fine after that.

Any idea what in the heck this is all about?

Back in the OLD days, I had an old GrandAm back in Las Vegas (very hot as well), and it was prone to vapor lock in the summers, which is what this kinda felt like, barring the breaking down and not being able to go anywhere bit. I know the knew fuel pumps have made vapor lock history, but the onset of the symptoms were very familiar.

Even though my friend was gone, we put the car on the computer and ran through to see if any error codes and it all came back clean. The theory at the time was it was my mass air flow sensor screwing up. I've put the RPI ram air scoop on the car, and a aftermarket filter to improve airflow, the guy there thought it was probably damaging the airflow sensor letting particulate matter through, I'm doubtful.

Thoughts?
    -Dirk
    2004 545i, Gulf Spec, Sports Suspension, RPI Cat-back exhaust, LCI Hella Tail lights w/V6 cable, Ipod adapter, Pro-Nav Retrofitted, Shadowline trim, Elite Motorsports Stage II LED Angel Eyes Upgrade, M166 OEM wheels (M6 offsets), xenon fogs, LCI iDrive knob and looking for Mtech front and sides!
    sigpic

Looks like MAF Sensor I guess ! :)
    sigpic
    07' HFP Accord | Current
    HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

IAC idle air controller can be the cause theoretically but according to wat i have seen in BMWs so far MAF go bad if u use less restrictive performance air filters so IMO it is MAF or IAC
      I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

IAC is my vote, and plus. Hot air is less dense, meaning less oxygen per given volume of air. Check you MAF both ways, maby it's dirty. It can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol, but WARNING : Be extremely gentle with it, it's fragile !
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

What was your fuel level in the tank at the time? If it was below half, the fuel pump WILL overheat after all this time in traffic and therefore you'd lose fuel pressure, especially in our summer.

Otherwise, and especially if you're running an after market filter panel, your MAF is saying goodbye.

Comment

Both were over 1/2, second time damn near full. Replaced the MAF, and popped in an OEM filter. Trip to AD tomorrow, let's see! Thanks all for the suggestion, you guys rock.
            -Dirk
            2004 545i, Gulf Spec, Sports Suspension, RPI Cat-back exhaust, LCI Hella Tail lights w/V6 cable, Ipod adapter, Pro-Nav Retrofitted, Shadowline trim, Elite Motorsports Stage II LED Angel Eyes Upgrade, M166 OEM wheels (M6 offsets), xenon fogs, LCI iDrive knob and looking for Mtech front and sides!
            sigpic

Comment

let us know please
              I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

3 hours in the car today, no problems. Wasn't very hot either though, we'll see!
                -Dirk
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X