engine cooling system, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine cooling system, please help!

:cry: hi guys yesterday i had a problem with my beast an E46 2001 model..here is the scenario....while i was driving the coolant indicator lit up, i stopped, turned off the engine and restarted again, the indicator light dissapeared but to make sure i stopped at a petrol station to refill water to the radiator and drove myself away...no problem after that...in the afternoon after driving for a short distance the indicator lit up again and even i tried to restart the engine it wont go away...and the temp gauge started to rise...i stopped and the indicator turned off and irefill my radiator again.after sometime of idling the engine ccoled down and the gauge returned to its normal operating status, i drove again for a very short distance and it came rising up again, i brought my car to a mechanic friend and he opened a small valve beside the radiator refill opening and let a lot of air out he told me probably there is no enough water in the radiator, the reason why i think its full already when i refill it is because there is a lot of air inside the radiator and pushes the floater up therefore will look like that its already full, we filled the tank again this time making it sure that there is no air inside...i was relieved that it might have solved my problem but after i drove again for some time the temp goes shooting up again... my friend told me probably the thermostat is defective and it needs replacement...i dont think there is a leakage in my radiator or any tubings because we cannot find any water leaking out...

could it be the thermostat to blame for this? please help...i need your expert opinions on how to solve the prob....many thanks!

if the thermo is faulty and stuck closed it can cause overheating for sure, coz it will prevent the coolant form going into the radiator, and will keep it circulating around the engine thus gaining more and more heat (temp rise) without letting it lose this heat in the radiator
    to test it start the engine cold and let it warm up to normal operating temp then switch off the engine and check the upper radiator hose (i guess it will be the same for E46 330) if the hose is hot this means the thermo is OK, if the hose is cool this means some restriction to radiator is there, whether in the thermo or the radiator itself
    I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

makes sense...thanks i will try doin that... :thanks2:

Comment

Working...
      X