AD Motors Service question... your opinion required and appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AD Motors Service question... your opinion required and appreciated

I just got AD motors service calling me saying my car is ready and i have to pay 25dhs only for the petrol

- for you who did not know, there was a grinding noise coming from the diff -

when asked what was the problem, and what did they do, he said there was a loose bolt causing the grinding noise, they just tightened it up, and everything is back to normal.

I asked him what will happen if the same problem happened again after few months, and was asked to replace the diff, taking in consideration that my warranty is expiring after exactly 4 days (27th nov).

he said, they will send a "good will request" to BMW, and most probably they will change it for free based on being in service due to the same fault before the warranty expires, BUT will not give me any commitment about this.

What do you guys recommend I should do ?

Take the car in peace hoping it was really a loose bolt ?
    or give them the **** till they replace the diff or commit changing it if problem happen again in the near future ?

:-S i hate these situations :(
    Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
    Majeed Photography

i say take the car and make sure they will change it if something happens in the near days

Comment

you think ? how can i make sure they will do that ?
      Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
      Majeed Photography

Comment

check with a guy called ziad marchi, senior service advisor, tell him about the case ;)

Comment

sure will ! am going there now ! let's see ! my service advisor is salman.
          Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
          Majeed Photography

Comment

ya3ni it is very intresting

when we got my friends Z4 from the service back last time with a bill of 4k AED for only a small sound like that; they said they do not repair anything, instead they replace

yess, he said exactly that

and now...they are repairing?? why? becaus is it in warranty?

heck!

whatever replaced has a warranty right? suppose you change ur engine then it has a warranty just like SSense's new S62

but if they repair it...no waranty huh?

bullcrap!

Comment

Tell me about it my friend !
              I guess I can't do much except making sure it is documented correctly in my file.
              Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
              Majeed Photography

Comment

Mate I'd really suspect that a grinding noise from a differential could be caused by a loose bolt on the subframe....and how does a subframe bolt got loose in the first place. Those bolts are torqued to specs at BMW.

I'd assume that they did change the differential oil at least in order to mask the problem for a while since your warranty ends after 4 days.

If i were you i wont take my car out and demand a thorough differential inspection or replacment.
                sigpic
                iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                Falcons Garage
                Carbotech

Comment

Moreover, a "good well" request is not always granted by BMW..... there are alot of facts to be considered. I bet that a new diff will cost an ARM.
                  sigpic
                  iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                  Falcons Garage
                  Carbotech

Comment

Originally posted by elchemor View Post
                    I just got AD motors service calling me saying my car is ready and i have to pay 25dhs only for the petrol

- for you who did not know, there was a grinding noise coming from the diff -

when asked what was the problem, and what did they do, he said there was a loose bolt causing the grinding noise, they just tightened it up, and everything is back to normal.

I asked him what will happen if the same problem happened again after few months, and was asked to replace the diff, taking in consideration that my warranty is expiring after exactly 4 days (27th nov).

he said, they will send a "good will request" to BMW, and most probably they will change it for free based on being in service due to the same fault before the warranty expires, BUT will not give me any commitment about this.

What do you guys recommend I should do ?

Take the car in peace hoping it was really a loose bolt ?
                    or give them the **** till they replace the diff or commit changing it if problem happen again in the near future ?

:-S i hate these situations :(
                    Did They change the diff oil ?? it happens

I suggest you to Get a black and white paper from them explaining the issue( that the car was received with grinding sound in diff and it will be repair under their cost since they discover the problem in the last days of warranty expiration ) and you will be in the safe side :D

Comment

I took the car after arguing for ten mins and showing my dissatisfaction.

The repairs that were done were tightning the diff bolt and a rear axle bolt.

kept driving the car for 45 mins doing U turns in the back yard of ad motors and SURPRISE ! same f*cking noise !

Went back and took the service advisor with me who in his turn sent the workshop in charge with me to hear the music my diff is producing.

And they both acknowledged the problem is still there !

Very bad service ! I was cursing ali & sons, now I feel it was paradise with them.
                      Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
                      Majeed Photography

Comment

i got the same grinding diff noise from the day i picked up my Z4M from the showroom, exactly as you described when slowly going in circles or doing u-turns etc..

i researched the issue online & it seemed to be a common thing for LSDs & particularly on ///M cars.. drove the car for 18 months without any issues then before selling it i went to AGMC & they replaced the oil which solved the problem.. i personally don't think the diff needs changing but i stand corrected..

i'd go to ADM & get them to replace the diff, but most probably they won't agree so you should at least get them to change the oil & give you written assurance that if the same problem comes back within 6 months for example then they'll replace the diff as if it were under warranty..

try your best man

BMW history:
                        07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Thanks Haissam, i think ur hash isnt it ?

i was reading ur other post online, very interesting, hope BMW service advisors knows they have to use a different type of oil on their cars :D will be calling them tomorrow early morning anyways.

i wish i read this today before going there... i quote :

The S.I.B. has been updated four times,the latest :

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B33 01 02 dated February 2008.

SUBJECT
                          Grinding Noise from the Differential during Slow Cornering

MODEL
                          E46 M3 from start of production

E60 M5 from start of production

E63, E64 M6 from start of production

E90, E92 and E93 M3 from start of production

SITUATION
                          A grinding noise may be heard coming from the differential during slow cornering.

This noise is best heard during tight cornering situations.
                          For example : while parallel parking, driving in a tight circle, etc.

CAUSE
                          When the rear wheel speed differential varies during tight cornering, a slip stick effect is created on the lining and steel discs incorporated in the differential locking clutch, causing the grinding noise.

This noise typically goes away as the locking clutch discs in the differential are broken in.

The break-in time varies depending on driving habits.
                          For example : tighter cornering (working the locking clutch) means that it takes less time to break in the locking clutch discs.

CORRECTION
                          If a complaint is verified as described above on the E46 M3; E60 M5; E63 and E64 M6; or on the E90, E92 and E93 M3 vehicles, the differential oil should be replaced with a specially formulated differential oil, BMW part number 83 22 2 282 583.

Road test the vehicle. (the part I hate the most and every other technician.perhaps most of them skip this part.I would rather give you the option to perform this or at least inform you of this procedure.)

With the vehicle at operating temperature
                          Drive in tight circles (20 circles in each direction), allowing the special oil to coat the locking clutch discs.

The grinding noise will decrease when the locking clutch discs are sufficiently coated. Some slight noises may still be heard after driving in tight circles. Its necessary to drive the vehicle up to 600 miles before all noises are eliminated as stated by the manufacturer.

Note: Vehicles that have had the differential oil converted to this special oil should continue to use this oil whenever a service requiring the differential oil replacement is indicated.
                          Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
                          Majeed Photography

Comment

elchemor

you are lucky man ,,

>>>(fight with them to change the diff) <<<
                            sigpic
                            • BMS Dual intake system • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e Tial BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg3 map • Fox super SS cutback • MMP 2.5 Turbo inlets & outlets • CF Front Splitter Lip Diffuser

When fast cars become cheap, the wrong type of people buy them
                            and the e36 M3 is one of the biggest victims of this phenomenon" - BMW Car Magazine

Comment

yup i'm hash on bimmerfest.. don't post there anymore though :)

that's the SIB i read too :D

BMW history:
                              07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Working...
                              X