Audi RS5 vs. BMW M3 – The War Rages On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audi RS5 vs. BMW M3 – The War Rages On

The horsepower war took a bit of a hiatus for a few months after Audi’s B7 platform RS4 went out of production and the debut of the Mercedes Benz C63 AMG – both in 2008 and both to do battle directly with the king of the hill: the BMW M3.
    However, Audi is back and packing quite a weapon in their arsenal – a powerful coupe of RS caliber. The all-new 2011 RS5 has finally broken cover after much speculation as to what exactly Audi would put into play in the battle between the mid-size, mini-supercar realm. The M3, for an all-round package has managed to keep atop of the list of these mid-size powerhouses over the last few years by providing the most complete package between handling, power, and luxury accouterments.
    Audi is out the change the game, of course, with the new RS5. So, let’s take a look at the specifications that have been taken from the “accidentally leaked” brochure of the upcoming Ingolstadt warrior. The wide-bodied two door is anticipated to sport a modified version of the V8 of the now defunct RS4. So, the car will be powered by a 4.2L V8 pushing out approximately 450HP – a full 30HP over the B7 RS4 and the V8 model of the R8 sportscar – coincidentally, about 30 horsepower over the 4.0L V8 of the M3.

This boosted power figure, in part, has been created by the two enormous air boxes sitting just behind the front air dam. In terms of a redline, the RS5 runs out of juice at 8,200 RPMs and is regulated by a dual clutch transmission with 7 forward gears. Rumor has it that the RS5 will not have the option for a traditional 6-speed manual – though this has yet to be confirmed.
    The war is on, but will there be a winner takes it all? We’ll find out more after the first test drives.

Source: bmwblog.com
    Last edited by SSense; 04-04-2010, 10:57 PM.
    sigpic

the RS5 will be a nice car and will definitely compete with the M3....

too bad the M3 didn't get a proper twin-turbo engine to further distinguish it from the rest of the crowd :(

BMW history:
    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Anyone else here glad the RS5 didn't get a forced induction engine ??
      Satisfaction can also be spelled: B.M.W

E90 320i - soon to retire
      19" Black CSL replicas staggured F:8.5", R:9.5" // continental sport contact2 F:235/35/19, R:255/35/19 // Blacklines taillights// Black OEM rear spoiler // Matt Black grill // Y-connector // 30% V-kool tint // H&R sport springs // H&R TRAK+ Wheels Spacers // Black roof+mirrors // De-badged

F30 335i - Current
      M-performance kit // M-performance steering wheel with race displays.

Comment

cant see no pictures!
        2008 325i coupe
        Stock

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.509 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/302)

Originally posted by hiten86
          cant see no pictures!
          I had no issue with the pix when I posted the thread!anyway I'll giv it a check once I'm home sorry about that hiten!
          sigpic

Comment

+1 on what Amarant and Hiten said...
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

first of all no manual no fun

second, m3 may have less power but faster than C63 on the track. i think rs5 will be faster than m3 but more expensive as well

Comment

Originally posted by reak6ion View Post
                Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.509 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/302)

I had no issue with the pix when I posted the thread!anyway I'll giv it a check once I'm home sorry about that hiten!
                No wirres :) works fine now.

But i dont like what I see. 30 hp more than M3?

Lets just hope it weighs more than it too.

Though i have a feeling that Audi has come up with a monstrous machine, and the M3 killer.
                2008 325i coupe
                Stock

Comment

not a big fan of runway style front grills. but the car looks nice.

Comment

From the back the RS5 looks far more aggressive, but it's look better with quad exhausts as compared to the big egg blasters
                    2008 325i coupe
                    Stock

Comment

I've been in an S5 the other day and man that car is fast and beautiful in every sense! I think the RS5 will give the M3 a maaaaaajor competition! No one can deny the beauty of this A5 series! Its nice all around and inside. Include a massive engine like the S or RS, u've got a complete package.

Would love to see a top gear epesode on this! Eventhough i feel that clarkson is always biased with audi!
                      sigpic
                      Audi R8 - White / Blk
                      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

M3 ALL THE WAY!!! nothing will ever compete!

I love this RS5... but not a chance against the M3
                        sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

^ save those words for later tiger! you dont want to eat them back! do you ?

I think this ones going to be stiff!
                          2008 325i coupe
                          Stock

Comment

audi rs5 I think its a nice car really
                            I try my friend car he has s5 and I like it but for me m3 it much better

Currently Own:
                            -2009 BMW 335i
                            -2007 BMW 540i
                            -----------------------
                            follow me in twitter
                            @MANSOOR335I

Comment

Video: Audi RS5 vs. BMW M3 Roadtest

[YOUTUBE]zSoa7qAq9N8[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Working...
                              X