Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed - Shaft & Fans

Hey Guys,

I need your expert help and opinion on my 2005 e46 330ci..

1- I changed my Central Baring and I used a new Original Bmw Baring that looks something like this .. http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mVKO...1rUoDQ/140.jpg

The issue now is that the shaft is vibrating a lot now, and the mechanic is saying I need to change the shaft.

Since I didnt have this issue before I was wondering what would be the problem, and from prior experience I know that if you dont put the shaft, the bolts, and everything, in the same position they were before replacing the baring, you would get problems.

If this is correct, can you please advise me if this is reversible and who can help me either balance the shaft again or fix this issue. (Note that Im afraid that if I replace the shaft the issue will still there.)

2- I have a mechanical 11 blades fan clutch, but im getting sick and tired of the OWoooooooooo Noise that is riping away some power of the engine, and making higher noise from the exhaust!!.

I was thinking if its possible to make the swap from the mechanical to the Electrical fan ( I got a quotation from Central in sharjah for 1,005 AED Original Bmw Fan).

Is this advisable considering the weather in dubai and the highways.

If yes can you direct to someone who can help in the installation.

let me take the chance to thank everyone in advance, Im asking this in here because ive seen all the knowledge and talent here and Im sure many of you have either done this or resolved such issue..

Appologies if this is a re-post, but couldnt see it anywhere else in the forum.

:grouphug:
    sigpic

Jerez Black 2008 E92 M3 - The beast unleashed

History:
    Black 2005 E46 330ci Mtech2
    Silver 2003 E46 330i Mtech2
    Black 2002 E46 320i Mtech2
    Black 1986 E28 535i
    Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
    Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
    Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

How bad was the previous bearing? Was it completely ripped and the shaft was moving around out of place?
    In other words, did you have any vobrations prior to replacement?

Did the shop reinstall it properly? Was the shaft dropped? Stepped on? Bent? Stored improperly? Left to hang from one side while still bolted on from the other?
    The bolts don't affect vibration, I've tried on my car before, never had effect.

Your driveshaft can't just go bad on its own like that, I suspect the shop danaged it or its been improperly installed.

The fan issue.
    Yes. You can delete the mechanical fan and run an electrical unit instead. Its been done before with proven result. You don't need to go with a BMW fan, there's better aftermarket fans available for this specific mod.
    Something like PermaCool or Spal electric fans. They're available woth fan controllers as well.
    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Vibration after a guibo+central bearing job:

a) Torque specs are not followed. Torque specs at differential input is usually neglected. These drive shafts are indestructible, so I'd be very surprised if it turns out to be that.

b) The guibo is fit backward. Common malpractice by many.

c) The shaft was hanging from the transmission side while the job was done.

Electric fans; I'm not a big believer considering our weather. Usually the noise is coming from a leaky fan clutch. You can swap to a six-fin mechanical fan.

If you like and have the time, pass by Das Autoworks for a look-see.

Comment

Originally posted by Makaveli7 View Post
        Hey Guys,

I need your expert help and opinion on my 2005 e46 330ci..

1- I changed my Central Baring and I used a new Original Bmw Baring that looks something like this .. http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mVKO...1rUoDQ/140.jpg

The issue now is that the shaft is vibrating a lot now, and the mechanic is saying I need to change the shaft.

Since I didnt have this issue before I was wondering what would be the problem, and from prior experience I know that if you dont put the shaft, the bolts, and everything, in the same position they were before replacing the baring, you would get problems.

If this is correct, can you please advise me if this is reversible and who can help me either balance the shaft again or fix this issue. (Note that Im afraid that if I replace the shaft the issue will still there.)

2- I have a mechanical 11 blades fan clutch, but im getting sick and tired of the OWoooooooooo Noise that is riping away some power of the engine, and making higher noise from the exhaust!!.

I was thinking if its possible to make the swap from the mechanical to the Electrical fan ( I got a quotation from Central in sharjah for 1,005 AED Original Bmw Fan).

Is this advisable considering the weather in dubai and the highways.

If yes can you direct to someone who can help in the installation.

let me take the chance to thank everyone in advance, Im asking this in here because ive seen all the knowledge and talent here and Im sure many of you have either done this or resolved such issue..

Appologies if this is a re-post, but couldnt see it anywhere else in the forum.

:grouphug:
        Hi mate,
        It sounds like the centre bearing is fitted arss about face or not inline! common fuckup.
        A visual check is the only way foward!

Comment

My freind drove the car and siad im getting peakyy and its nothing, but I know how she drove and this is not the same...

@SSU thank you m8.. Though I dont know if they bent it, droped it, steped on it, or played cricket with it:P.. The Old central baring was fine, and I still have it with me, the reason I changed it is because it was a tijari, and the one in right now is original :(.

@ Ayham & Shak thank you for the feedback ill try passing by tomorow to das or the X to get this fixed when you guys have the time. Need to finish this for the drive :P

Warm Regards gents
          Hani
          sigpic

History:
          Black 1986 E28 535i
          Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
          Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
          Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

Comment

Funniest thing happened on Saturday.. So I googled Das Autworks Dubai.. Got a phone number, droped a call, asked if they open, the lady said yes... Is Ayham in the Garage?? Yes sirr.. can you give me directions... Yes

Got the directions.... Drove and got lost in AL quoz for 30mins.. Got the shop that was called DAS AUTO MAINTAINANCE !!!

But Voilla, the wron DAS Centre that I was trying to locate!!!!!!!!

Not having internet, and having some wisdom tooth problem I went to find the X service centre (Since Ive been there before)..

Got lost for another 30 mins!!!

Went back home and the shaft is still vibrating:(

Sorry guys ill try again during this week (Im an auditor and my clients are taking all my time:( )

The vibrations are only when going from 1st to second gear so hopefully the shaft wont damage??? :S
            sigpic

History:
            Black 1986 E28 535i
            Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
            Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
            Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

Comment

Drop a call to Ayham on 050 652 7722..

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                Drop a call to Ayham on 050 652 7722..
                Thank you so much Ssense :) Will definitly do :yessir:
                sigpic

History:
                Black 1986 E28 535i
                Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
                Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
                Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

Comment

check if the shaft is 100% straight and check the rubber shaft even if the problem was the senter bering as shak said chek the shaft it self it could be bent
                  it took me three shafts in one mounth to learn this lessone :D
                  good luck :)

E36 1996 325 coupe MT + supercharged RIP
                  E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech + Bolt On's CURRENT
                  E30 1989 325 M50 Mtech coupe MT + RIP
                  E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech coupe AT SOLD
                  E30 1991 325 low 4door AT SOLD
                  E30 1988 320 ac schnitzer 4door AT RIP
                  E36 1992 325 M50nv MT DRIFT/RACE CAR CURRENT
                  E34 1991 525 ac schnitzer Daily CURRENT

Comment

Lol, so I was in the office?? And you mentioned my name and yet she said I'm in? Some businesses are just too desperate..

Call me on 050-6527722 to arrange.

Comment

Working...
                    X