Re-paint or Foil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-paint or Foil?

Suppose I could start a Poll, but will wait for general comments first.

Spoke to Ayham about this the other week - as Maggie is 14 y/o, she needs to have the exterior done. Its dull, lacks shine and has a few scratches, knicks and knocks on her. There is also a fairly large patch on the bonnet where the previous owner (not sure which one) looked like they tried to remove a mark with 1200 fine wet and dry sandpaper and has taken off the laquer and its very visible.

So, do I re-paint or foil her? :please:

If I repaint, it will be in the original Black, if I foil her, I may go for another colour (as I said above, that will be looked at later).
    1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
    2012 Camaro SS
    2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab: 6" lift,
    2008 Mercedes SLK 350

as far as I know , if there are dents specially on the doors or the hood , they still be visible after foil , Foil looks really nice but on some cars and i'm really sorry i don't really know what you are driving to give my honest opinion .. in general if Maggie is from 90's , keep it simple / clean and shiny , go for the repaint .. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Ehssan View Post
      as far as I know , if there are dents specially on the doors or the hood , they still be visible after foil , Foil looks really nice but on some cars and i'm really sorry i don't really know what you are driving to give my honest opinion .. in general if Maggie is from 90's , keep it simple / clean and shiny , go for the repaint .. good luck
      No dents, just stone chips and a few minor scratches. Here is what I am driving!

1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
      2012 Camaro SS
      2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

nice car ,,, no sure if the foil will looks nice on it ,, maybe yes maybe now ... maybee it will look Ajman Style ( with all the respect to Ajman ppl ) but I'm sure you know what I mean ,, similar to what you we see sometimes , Honda Civic 1995 with matte foil colors ...

again maybe i'm wrong ,, for sure other will share opinions as well..

Comment

Originally posted by Ehssan View Post
          nice car ,,, no sure if the foil will looks nice on it ,, maybe yes maybe now ... maybee it will look Ajman Style ( with all the respect to Ajman ppl ) but I'm sure you know what I mean ,, similar to what you we see sometimes , Honda Civic 1995 with matte foil colors ...

again maybe i'm wrong ,, for sure other will share opinions as well..
          I know what you are saying, and before I start, IT WILL NOT BE A MATT colour.:spank:

Heart tells me to re-paint, head tells me something else. The Mrs thinks it will look "cute" in yellow!
          2012 Camaro SS
          2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Re-paint!
            I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

Repaint ! Fresh, will look new and way cheaper..

There are consequences of foiling, one of them is when removing the foil your original paint might peel off too, it happened with people I know..

Comment

Repaint (Y) am doing mine full repaint it cost me 5500
                sigpic
                • BMS Dual intake system • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e Tial BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg3 map • Fox super SS cutback • MMP 2.5 Turbo inlets & outlets • CF Front Splitter Lip Diffuser

When fast cars become cheap, the wrong type of people buy them
                and the e36 M3 is one of the biggest victims of this phenomenon" - BMW Car Magazine

Comment

yellow looks even better ,, one of my favorite colors specailly on the E36 coupe is the estoril blue ..

few examples .. the Z3M is the best example , the rest of the pictures are edited in a bad way which affected the beauty of the color

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289958

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                    Repaint ! Fresh, will look new and way cheaper..

There are consequences of foiling, one of them is when removing the foil your original paint might peel off too, it happened with people I know..
                    then those people were greedy and went to the sharjah foil companies.. the paint is NOT supposed to come off when removing the foil.. The "GOOD" foil companies give warranty for that..

Steve, get it either foiled or painted.. Paint will come cheaper.. and please do yourself, ME and everybody the favour and get the car painted/foiled in ALPINE WHITE and put the M/// karos on the hood and the rear quarter panel :)
                    sigpic

Simon Motorsport L.L.C
                    Dubai Investment Park 2
                    The Curve Building Complex
                    Warehouse No.1
                    P.O Box 28638
                    Dubai, United Arab Emirates
                    Office: +97148830851
                    Web: www.simonmotorsport.com
                    Email: Franz@simonmotorsport.com
                    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/simonmotorsportdxb
                    Instagram: http://instagram.com/simon_motorsport_dubai#

Comment

i would repaint it and use the opportunity to change the color, Estoril Blue is just perfect, it really makes the lines of the body so visible....i know, you're head says foil it 'cause it's cheaper and if you don't intend to keep the car then go for it, otherwise repaint it...
                      '09 RS6 V10 BiTurbo - current
                      '08 BMW 540i Mpack - sold
                      '04 Audi RS6 - sold
                      '01 Audi A8 D2 4.2 - sold
                      '06 BMW 750Li - sold
                      '05 BMW X5 4.8is Blue Le Mans - sold
                      '12 Golf GTi DSG Superchips stage 1 - sold
                      '11 Passat 1.8T DSG - sold
                      '01 540i M-pack - sold
                      '08 Cayenne Turbo - sold
                      '09 Porsche Cayenne - sold
                      '04 Audi RS6 ABT - sold
                      '04 VW Phaeton - sold
                      SLK 230K - sold
                      E46 330i -sold
                      E46 330i M-Pack - sold
                      Jaguar X-type - sold

Comment

My voice goes for the UK-only GT2 M3 color; Imola Red.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, seems that painting is the way to go :yuhoo: however, this brings up 2 "issues":

1) keeping to the original colour would be quick and simple, plus cheaper
                          2) changing the colour would mean complete strip out of the car, including engine etc and then a re-spray taking a lot longer and costing more.

'she that must be obeyed" has already :read: the rules to me on Budget

Damn, I hate this.

I LOVE the Estoril Blue :ayham::ayham:
                          2012 Camaro SS
                          2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

do u have to paint the interior and engine bay? sorry if the question seems strange to u :D
                            I just see it is too much of headache to do a complete strip out
                            I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

since it's black , I don't really see any problem changing the body color only , keep the engine bay as it is ,

Comment

Working...
                              X