Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing an E60 M5?

Hi everyone,

I have just signed up and am glad to be here, there seems to be a lot of knowledge on this forum.

The short story is, I've just moved to Dubai and am waiting to hear back from a couple of interviews about work. Once I've got myself a job sorted I want to get myself a car as soon as I can.

Anyway, I've got a hankering for an E60 M5, I do also quite fancy a Mercedes E-Class AMG but I have had a lot of Mercs in the UK but never owned an AMG. The most powerful cars I've had before are a Mercedes S600 (400PS) and an Audi S8 40v (360PS) and I've never owned a fast BMW before. I've had an E39 but it was a 3.0 turbo-diesel but I did like, also had an old BMW 750iL I believe it was a 1993 model and a couple of small engined 3 series, oh and a 530i e39 touring but only for a short period. I was a car dealer in the UK you see.

Sorry for writing so much!

My questions are -
    • Does the E60 M5 have any issues with the heat here in the Summer?
    • Are there any must have optional extras that I should look out for? (I love alcantara headlining and a good stereo)
    • What are the signs that an M5 has been abused and not cared for?
    • What are the insurance costs like?
    • Where would you suggest to get an E60 maintained?
    • Any major dos or don'ts when it comes to the M5?

Any help, advice or assistance you can give me will be much appreciated.
    Thanks for reading and I hope to post up a photo of my new M5 as soon as I can get one!

Regards,

James Rothwell

welcome on board James...there are quiet a few E60 M5 owners who will provide you with valuable input :)

I'll leave it up to them experts to answer your queries. In the meantime enjoy browsing through our forums and topics
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Thanks! I noticed there is a good number of M5s on here. Nice M3 you've got there, how often do you get to drive with the roof down though? Must get serious sunburn in the Summer!

Comment

James it was a pleasure to meet you the other day.

some answers to your questions:

•Does the E60 M5 have any issues with the heat here in the Summer?

i still have yet to see one that actually fails in this department.

•Are there any must have optional extras that I should look out for? (I love alcantara headlining and a good stereo)

most of them had alcantara so you are safe. the stereo on the recent models are different, can someoen actually cofirm this? but old or newer models of e60s have very decent quality audio stuff.

•What are the signs that an M5 has been abused and not cared for?

various leaks.. suspension clunks... diff clunck at low RPMS... play in the back when downshifting.. vanos noise.

these are a combination of lack of service love

•What are the insurance costs like?

depends on what value you want to insure it for. it's usually at 4% for a full insurance. and 1k for 3rd party

•Where would you suggest to get an E60 maintained?

i have tried them all. DAS not because they are sponsors. trust me just DAS

•Any major dos or don'ts when it comes to the M5?

just make sure you get a list of what things have been replaced.

Comment

Hi Bruno, was nice meeting you at the weekend too. Glad to see you're on here too.

I think the upgrade stereo is called Logic7 and I think the change was the early part of 07? Is there any way to tell if the E60 is one of the later 2007 models? Did they change the dials, steering wheel or design of the wheels or anything. I'd also really like the heads up display but I think that is standard?

I hate cars that have clunky suspension so I have a good ear for that, I presume with a car like this that if it's making a nasty unwanted noise to fix it will translate into several thousand dirhams to make it right. The vanos noise worries, me I have no idea what it sounds like? Any advice?

4% isn't too bad for insurance on a car like this, I guess 3rd party would be silly on the roads of the UAE!

I think I shall only use DAS then, as I read somewhere else that they are very good. Would it be normal if I paid them to inspect a potential car for me?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

I would say look for a low milage M5.
            Mine is a 2006 with 45,000 km now. No accidents and full original paint. History of the car was checked at BMW and all parts replaced were nothing major. Until now everything is good and car drives like new.
            You just have to keep in mind that M5 parts are very expensive in general. I replaced my brakes (full set) and it cost an arm and a leg ;)
            Changes in looks happened in 2008 model, thus 2006 and 2007 will look the same.
            2008 models have the newer front lights, upgraded tail lights, and some interior changes. Nothing major. The 2010 i drive button looks different and much nicer than the older ones.
            Here in kuwait insurance rates depend on who u know! I get the lowest rates cause i know the owner of the insurance company i deal with. I insure allmy cars there.
            Oh, no heat issues that i have heard of. And options to look for are the heads up display (which shows u the rpm and gear reflected on the windshield, u see this info while u drive) also look for the active seats (seat hugs you when making turns, for example if u turn left, the seat will hug you from the right side to keep u in place, an amazing feature that i dont have lolll). I think these are the main ones. The rest are standard.
            Best of luck with the M5, i do love the car, my only problem is lack of torque. I wish it pushed more!
            Last edited by LSB_M3; 24-01-2012, 07:06 PM.
            sigpic
            Audi R8 - White / Blk
            Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Hi Quattro, I actually bought a beautiful Silverstone II e60 M5 recently and I'm loving every second of it (ignore my siggy... that's my original beauty, need to update it).

Anyway, contrary to what LSB_M3 said, sometimes a higher mileage is actually better. It means the service has been done at 100k (which is not cheap) and possibly the vanos and the SMG pump have been changed (cost a fortune). In the case of my car, it had 118k on the clock but all the above mentioned items have been replaced, which meant saving a WHOLE lot of money on the car. I have to admit though, mine is by far and away the cleanest 2005 M5 I had ever seen, I got lucky that way.

My advice would always be to get it checked before you purchase it, it would cost around 850 Dirhams I think (dont quote me on this) for the inspection at DAS (the only ones I trust) but it would save you loads on the long run. Never EVER buy the car because of the way it looks... get it checked, ALWAYS! :)

As I said mine is a 2005 and it came with the Logic7 sound system which is brilliant, love it! I also had the old pre LCI lights which I've changed recently to the LCI ones and upgraded the angel eyes to white thanks to Ehssan... my light covers were shot to sh!t but doctor Ehssan restored them

Important options in the car? I hated the dynamic seat thing LSB spoke of, not a necessity but definitely an added plus. Also if the car comes with the cooled seats that would be great... dont have them and dont really care.

sorry for the lengthy response. Please let me know if there is anything you need :D oh and only service your car at Das... we've tried everyone else and this is the only one I trust
              sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Hi Quattro
                Welcome to the club and good start pointing on how to choose the beast, I owned 2006 silver grey M5 since more than year and half, it was done 68000Km and now its 94000km. I ll brief as much as I can what you should worry about b4 u buy the beast…..for sure what all members said its true but I ll share my experience

I bought the car from AD motor (Agency in abu dhabi) and it has been fully checked for major issue and it was free

[*]Does the E60 M5 have any issues with the heat here in the Summer?
                I drove it during the very hot summer months and it was almost above 100 which is normal as soon as you coolant system healthy.

[*]Are there any must have optional extras that I should look out for? (I love alcantara headlining and a good stereo)

As the guys said most of the E60 M5s equipped with good options starting with adaptive head light to the LCI tail light (2008 and above) I upgrade the tail light which give a big smile on your face :D all the time, active seat which I love hugging me all the time :D ;), sound system great with Logic7 and you can upgrade it easily (www.bavsound.com), ventilated seat ..mmm not really make difference but good to have it :)

[*]What are the signs that an M5 has been abused and not cared for?

You should worry about all type of bushing underneath the beast which ll cost you min. around AED 10K, brake discs & pads will cost you between AED 5K to 6K, hydraulic unit (SMG pump) you should know if its replaced recently or not coz it ll cost you a leg/arm/head….and maybe body lol, set of tires and the normal other things

[*]What are the insurance costs like?
                2006 M5 E60 insurance will cost you around AED 3,500, im talking about full insurance

[*]Where would you suggest to get an E60 maintained?

If your car not covered with any type of maintenance contract from the agency, I would strongly suggest Das Autoworks….they know how to deal with the beasts.

[*]Any major dos or don'ts when it comes to the M5?
                As Bruno said….

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Originally posted by ahmad.alkhalil View Post
                  Hi Quattro, I actually bought a beautiful Silverstone II e60 M5 recently and I'm loving every second of it (ignore my siggy... that's my original beauty, need to update it).

Anyway, contrary to what LSB_M3 said, sometimes a higher mileage is actually better. It means the service has been done at 100k (which is not cheap) and possibly the vanos and the SMG pump have been changed (cost a fortune). In the case of my car, it had 118k on the clock but all the above mentioned items have been replaced, which meant saving a WHOLE lot of money on the car. I have to admit though, mine is by far and away the cleanest 2005 M5 I had ever seen, I got lucky that way.

My advice would always be to get it checked before you purchase it, it would cost around 850 Dirhams I think (dont quote me on this) for the inspection at DAS (the only ones I trust) but it would save you loads on the long run. Never EVER buy the car because of the way it looks... get it checked, ALWAYS! :)

As I said mine is a 2005 and it came with the Logic7 sound system which is brilliant, love it! I also had the old pre LCI lights which I've changed recently to the LCI ones and upgraded the angel eyes to white thanks to Ehssan... my light covers were shot to sh!t but doctor Ehssan restored them

Important options in the car? I hated the dynamic seat thing LSB spoke of, not a necessity but definitely an added plus. Also if the car comes with the cooled seats that would be great... dont have them and dont really care.

sorry for the lengthy response. Please let me know if there is anything you need :D oh and only service your car at Das... we've tried everyone else and this is the only one I trust
                  You got very lucky indeed ;-)
                  sigpic

2004 X5, HAMMAN - SOLD
                  2006 Z4M - SOLD
                  1967 SHELBY GT500CR - SOLD
                  2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello - SOLD
                  2001 Ferrari 456 MGTA - CURRENT
                  2006 Hummer H3 -CURRENT
                  2003 Citroen Saxo 1.1 - Special Mongol Rally 2012 - SOLD TO CHARITY
                  1997 E36 M3 - PROJECT CAR
                  2008 Ferrari 312 Scaglietti - CURRENT

Comment

On the subject of insurance, does it matter that I am not 25 until later on this year as I tried to quote online with HSBC to see what the cost would be like and they wouldn't quote me for as I'm under 25, is this going to be a problem for me do you think?

Also, why are there so few M5s advertised on Dubizzle, there are so few that there isn't much of a choice!

Comment

a new license and bein under 25 is a bit of a problem... but money solves anything.

they are not very common, so waiting for the right one might take ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                        a new license and bein under 25 is a bit of a problem... but money solves anything.

they are not very common, so waiting for the right one might take ages.
                        Any idea how much money we're talking here? Is it something ridiculous or semi realistic.

Comment

It's 4% of the value of the car man not more.

Comment

Oh well that's cool, thanks for letting me know.

I think it'll be a 2006/2007 I'm looking for and mileage wise I'd like something with 70k-100k so I guess it should be about 100,000AED mark?

Comment

Working...
                            X