Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing a US Spec X5 in a month...Dealer recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing a US Spec X5 in a month...Dealer recommendations?

I live in Dubai but work in Abu Dhabi, so I was hoping for any dealer recommendations. I have a friend who says the import process isn't too bad (It's arriving in Abu Dhabi.) I've read around the web varying stories of ease and heartache in trying to go through this process. Specifically, I'm hazy on the following:

- Importing Process for Abu Dhabi
    - Would like to buy an extended warranty (it's a 2011 X5M with 2 year factory warranty, so it has until roughly this year's end left)
    - Any dealer recommendations?

Thanks for any input. I'll continue searching these forums for some of these answers as I'm sure someone else has asked.
    Last edited by phantomias33; 20-04-2012, 03:23 PM.

Hello and welcome here. I know how frustrating it can be to get cars in. For that I'd contact members Jean Loup or Meskovic to find out about proper paper work needed as they import cars all the time.

I'd go with ADM for the extended warranty, did you pay them a visit to see what they have to offer?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up ADM online just now and maybe I'll stop in there. Someone was saying that AGMC asked them for 4000 AED to 'process' their car before they would cover it under its factory warranty; citing that had they bought it from them instead of importing their U.S. car that fee would've been waived.

If there are hard and fast rules/regulations, then that's life. It just seems like the rules are different for each person and I can't find a standard answer as to what it takes to import the car and what fees there are.

Regardless, the car is en route now. I've got a letter from BMW Corporate (Munich) stating that the car has it's 2 year international warranty. But I have a feeling that when I import it and get license and registration for it, I will still have a problem just showing up and getting work done at a dealer.

I'll get in touch with ADM. Thank you.

Comment

My pleasure. But AFAIK, when the factory gives you that letter, then local dealers anywhere have no choice but to honor the warranty.

Comment

Hi Phantomias33,

Yes all cars (from the time of registration) is covered under global 2 year warranty. These cars are built in Spartanburg, SC. Your best bet is to spec it out at www.bmwusa.com based on the options and such, ping me. A friend's father owns a BMW dealership in GA and can process the order for you. JeanLoupe can then help you bring the car back. You save a ton as dealers in UAE charge you an arm and a leg.

You wont have issues getting the car warrantied as long as it has the 2 year international warranty intact. Get in touch with BMW AG if they D***K you around.

Lutfy

Comment

Hey phantomias33, as discussed, just send a copy of the documents and I will take care of it. Any questions, please feel free to call me back.
            sigpic

2004 X5, HAMMAN - SOLD
            2006 Z4M - SOLD
            1967 SHELBY GT500CR - SOLD
            2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello - SOLD
            2001 Ferrari 456 MGTA - CURRENT
            2006 Hummer H3 -CURRENT
            2003 Citroen Saxo 1.1 - Special Mongol Rally 2012 - SOLD TO CHARITY
            1997 E36 M3 - PROJECT CAR
            2008 Ferrari 312 Scaglietti - CURRENT

Comment

Hey good luck and please keep us updated!! I am planing to import an X5 from the US as well. Thank you :)
              sigpic

Jerez Black 2008 E92 M3 - The beast unleashed

History:
              Black 2005 E46 330ci Mtech2
              Silver 2003 E46 330i Mtech2
              Black 2002 E46 320i Mtech2
              Black 1986 E28 535i
              Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
              Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
              Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

Comment

Update-

Jean-Loup from these forums successfully imported my X5 M. Customs, inspections and all the port hassle is complicated in any country but does seem to be an ever evolving process here in UAE.

To anyone thinking of importing a US Spec car- CALL JEAN-LOUP. Gladly pay his fee and let him handle it. I showed up, he drove with me to the Emissions Inspection and Registration and sat with me until I had plates in hand, registration complete and was on my way. It is doable and it is easy if you use Jean-Loup. (he posted on this thread if you're looking to find him.)

Now I need to pick either AGMC or Abu Dhabi to work with and buy an extended warranty before the end of this year.

- Matt

Comment

Matt, pleasure was all mine.

Thanks for the referral though, the same is very much appreciated.
                  sigpic

2004 X5, HAMMAN - SOLD
                  2006 Z4M - SOLD
                  1967 SHELBY GT500CR - SOLD
                  2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello - SOLD
                  2001 Ferrari 456 MGTA - CURRENT
                  2006 Hummer H3 -CURRENT
                  2003 Citroen Saxo 1.1 - Special Mongol Rally 2012 - SOLD TO CHARITY
                  1997 E36 M3 - PROJECT CAR
                  2008 Ferrari 312 Scaglietti - CURRENT

Comment

Pick the one closer to you, although from general reviews ADM maintains a better service/customer relation standard.

Well done JL ;)

Comment

Working...
                    X