How to: Refix the glove-box cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Refix the glove-box cover?

So, after sitting in the sun all day last week, as I pulled out of my work's car park, the glove-box cover came off.

So, whats the best way to re-fix it? What glue to use?

Do I need to remove the old glue first or can I just apply a fresh line and hold it in place whilst it dries?

Thanks.
    1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
    2012 Camaro SS
    2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab: 6" lift,
    2008 Mercedes SLK 350

There must be something in the sun this week, because this just happened to mine! Anyhow my plan is to remove the old glue with a small screw driver and sand the reminaining residue.

I am going to use a high strength epoxy and clamp and weigh down the 2 pcs over night, with some books etc, also use those old style black paper clips on the lip of the glove box cover.

can't believe this happened to you as well, what year is your car and how many years has it been here in the land of sun?

Originally posted by yorky500 View Post
    So, after sitting in the sun all day last week, as I pulled out of my work's car park, the glove-box cover came off.

So, whats the best way to re-fix it? What glue to use?

Do I need to remove the old glue first or can I just apply a fresh line and hold it in place whilst it dries?

Thanks.
    '94 Avus Blue e36 m3
    2007 LWB Prado. 2" IVD lift.GPS 276C.Bashplate.Rear Pintle Hook

Comment

Mines a 97 model. Not sure how many years here in the UAE to be honest.
      1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
      2012 Camaro SS
      2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Also it is better to take the glove box out. 2 screws in the vents above, and 4 around the corners on the felt. squeeze in the tabs for the flashlight recharge cradle and unplug the massage parlour courtesy light.
        '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

the e36s usually melt in this weather sooner than you would expect...

which part of glove box cover came out?

Comment

The front cover to Item 1 of your above diagram. Its the plastic panel that covers the metal on the front of the glovebox. The glove box is closed but has no plastic cover.
            2012 Camaro SS
            2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

i found this http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/e...x-sag-fix.html
              and this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1194167

on some other forums some have pointed out the clips popped out or broke so that might your case.

if at any point you want to use a bonding material use this http://bostik.com.au/home-office-sch...d-m-0-g-0.html :D

Comment

+1 ....got all the glue off, and sanding gives a good result as well, removes microns of the plastic, but the rough surface will aid in bonding the glue. Found a plastic glue at Speedex for less than 20, and is clear. Takes 10 minutes to bond, but will need the paper clips and a few clamps with tissue to hold over night.

The interior of the e36 is a real pity to the engine/drive train of the car, already fixed passenger window guides, and also the interior door panel with some glue and new white plastic clips. I need to fix the gear shift console, as 1 screw locator is broken and kind of flexes when shifting gears.... also add some new white clips to the driver door.

Also need to get rid of the auxilliary fan noise, although working and cooling, it is an item about to fail sooner or later, but the fan's bearing can not be replaced...so new fan is the only option.....will try some grease first.
                '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Those links are for a different issue not the same that I or Yorky500 has. The bostik link is standard epoxy adhesive, Bossil, bison and fevicol, which are all easily found here also make the same epoxy glue, where in UAE did you buy that bostik from Bruno?

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                  i found this http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/e...x-sag-fix.html
                  and this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1194167

on some other forums some have pointed out the clips popped out or broke so that might your case.

if at any point you want to use a bonding material use this http://bostik.com.au/home-office-sch...d-m-0-g-0.html :D
                  '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

IMAG0364.jpg

here is the pic of the leather cover with various clips to keep it under pressure....
                    '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

there are places in rashidiya that have it. it's behind the RTA office.

Comment

Working...
                      X