SMGII Gearbox problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMGII Gearbox problem...

Hey guys, i wonder if anyone can help me (before i head off to AGMC) with a problem i'm having with my SMGII system, specifically the paddle shift levers. Basically, the + paddle doesn't work on, roughly, 10% of gear changes. It can be fine for a while, then not let you change from 2nd to 3rd, or 5th to 6th. So when this happens, i change it using the stick and after that the paddle will work fine again. It seems to have most of it's problems changing form 1st to 2nd and 4th to 5th, but like i say it's only some of the time. The rest of the system (the stick shift, the - paddle and fully-automatic) work fine. Does this sound like a dodgy conection or is my car doomed!?!?

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Phil
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

sounds to me like a dodgy connection only...check the levers.. as long as shifting is fine wen using the stick and auto mode....u got nothin to worry bout
    ________
    Caribbean Recipes
    Last edited by Wazif; 18-04-2011, 08:08 AM.
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

you should replace the SMG paddle switch

Here is a rough procedure breakdown.

1. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY - Do NOT forget because you will be taking the airbag out. Not yelling but no need to eat airbag.

2. Locate the two holes on either side of the steering wheel backside ( L and R )

3. Push a flathead screwdriver into these holes straight on, you will feel a tab (Spring inside holding the airbag on either side), push the tab while pulling on that same side of the airbag in the front. Repeat for other side. There is a very good writeup of this on Mad Russian.

4. Lift out airbag and unclip the two clips for the hor and airbag wiring. Set airbag aside.

4. Take a Torx bit and unscrew two screws on back of steering wheel, lower part.

5. Take a Torx bit and unscrew the two screws inside the wheel holding the front panel controls onto the wheel. The front upper and lower piece should now come off as one piece. unhook electrical for switches and put piece aside.

6. It may be necessary to undo the paddle to replace the switch. In this case undo the torx holding the paddle to the steering wheel and lift off being careful not to loose the spring for the paddle.

7. unplug and unscrew micro chip, replace with new one.

8. Install is reverse.

Hope that helps a little. It is not that hard at all. You may find that the key just slipped off the switch. The key looks exactly like a key on a computer keyboard and mine simply came off when I installed my new paddles so I had to take apart the wheel to fix it.

ayham you have the same problem on the left paddle when you were fixing the extended ones.:nono:

for pics look in this thread
      http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthrea...ghlight=Paddle

Comment

hope it works :)

BMW history:
        07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

I agree, if ur stick shifter and automatic mode work fine, then ur SMG is ok!
          Its the connection to ur paddels, could be that something is loose in there!
          Update us please. would like to know the outcome.
          sigpic
          Audi R8 - White / Blk
          Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

My (-) paddle shifter quitted working 2 months ago while replacing it with a longer aluminum shifter...Although it's the easiest DIY, when I reverted back to the OE shifter, it quitted on me. Ordered a new switch...

Comment

Working...
            X