SS brake lines and DOT5 brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS brake lines and DOT5 brake fluid

In the last track day, the brakes just faded on me after 3 hard sessions not to mention red-glowing brake discs. Had to resort to the run-off area after the straight line. Brakes take the most abuse on the track just like the tires. Just ordered 4 Stainless Steel brake lines with Motul600 (DOT 5) brake fluid to elongate the life span on the track...Will see how much of an improvement they yield.

And please, to anyone wanting to participate in any track event. With us or without, check your tires, brake pads, discs, brake lines/hoses and brake pump.

Make sure youve got either DOT 4 brake fluid or above. If you have an ///M car, DOT 5 should be handled nicely by the pump, but DO NOT use DOT 5 on a standard pump, exampl, 325i or 330i .
    You'll end up blowing a brake line, something you don't want happening !

For brakes, that should be good enough as prep. Good luck !
    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Hail!

Just when i needed to know something - you read my mind!

Thanks!
      2008 325i coupe
      Stock

Comment

P.s - Whats the difference anyway?
        2008 325i coupe
        Stock

Comment

Between what exactly Hiten ? DOT 4 and DOT 5 ?
          Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims

Comment

Yea. . .that and the pumps of a 325/330 and a ///M?
            2008 325i coupe
            Stock

Comment

The reasons I'm doing this upgrade is to eliminate brake fading under hard usage. Stock hydraulic lines carrying the brake fluid (oil) from the brake master cylinder to the four brake calipers are made of rubber; bad news for reliability but are used cuz they're cheaper to make (Doesn't make sense to throw in the more expensive stainless-braided lines based on the fact that 10% of the owners track their cars). Brake fading happens when the fluid "boils" and air bubbles form in the hydraulic circuit, therefore you start to have a "mushy" pedal feel with a longer travel to acheive similar braking, if any.

So, from the above, your braking problems as a track driver stem from a low-boiling-temperature fluid and rubber lines that expand under repeated hard, late braking. They can't hold the required pressure once they've expanded and will have to cool down till they regain initial ID and be optimum at holding pressure (don't expect them to work well after a few track days even after they cool down). Now get rid of the rubber and replace it with steel-braided lines (they hold up to 6000psi, while your brake system is tested at 1200psi Max with a safety margin!) and a high-boiling-temperature brake fluid (Motul600) and you have a killer setup just short of track pads. Upgrade to more technical choices once you're at that level...

As for master pumps, the M pump is designed for track use and this means it's built to handle the increased pressure resulting from thicker brake fluid and steel lines.

Hope this helped...And I'm glad you're getting the hang of it :)

Comment

i need to strat working on my braking system... can you source some CSL rotors for me?

Comment

^^^ how about marwan ??
                  Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                  Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                  Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                  Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                  1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                  Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                  eMail:
                  Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Yes I can....But you need the whole nine yards with it, not just the rotors.

Comment

yeah i know... sort them out for me. it's time for some serious upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                        Now get rid of the rubber and replace it with steel-braided lines

Hope this helped...And I'm glad you're getting the hang of it :)
                        Thanks a ton Ayham

I think that'll be the first thing i get done, but after my next track event i guess - Just want to know my car a little more before i do anything, what say?

How much d'ya get them for (SS brake lines) and from where'd you order ?

Cheers!
                        H
                        2008 325i coupe
                        Stock

Comment

I am not so sure, but I do have a feeling changing the brake lines might affect warranty. Again, not sure but check in case.
                          What say you Ayham ?

Comment

Yeah, thought of that. I'm going to Shj AGMC tomorrow to find out the 'what ifs' !
                            Though i hope it doesnt!
                            2008 325i coupe
                            Stock

Comment

I like how you're going about tracking your car Hiten, thumbs up! What a waste when a noob starts dumping this and that on their car before properly learning.

I don't think they'd void your warranty. What I'd be concerned about is the brake master cylinder. I'll check it out for you and let you know. A couple of members want to order some as well, this will reduce shipping cost per person...

Comment

Working...
                              X