No announcement yet.

January launch for 2009 BMW Sauber + BMW Sauber will fight for title in 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January launch for 2009 BMW Sauber + BMW Sauber will fight for title in 2009

BMW Sauber have scheduled the roll-out of their 2009 car for January 20 of next year. The F1.09 will make its first public appearance in testing at Valencia in Spain.

After scoring their maiden win this season and finishing a highly-competitive third in the constructors’ standings, BMW Sauber hope the F1.09 turn them into genuine championship contenders next season.

The team believe that major changes to the Formula One regulations for 2009, including the return of slick tyres, aerodynamic restrictions and the introduction of KERS to recover waste energy from braking, could play into their hands.

“The challenges are big but we will stick to our ambitious goal: in 2009, we want to be one of the teams battling it out for the title,” BMW Motorsport director Mario Theissen told the team’s official website.

Following the F1.09’s launch, it will participate in three further test sessions before the 2009 season kicks off in Australia on March 29.
    After watching Ferrari clinch the constructors’ crown and McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton take his first drivers’ title at the weekend, BMW Motorsport director Mario Theissen has refocused his ambitious sights on the 2009 season. Theissen believes BMW Sauber will step out of the shadows cast by their more experienced rivals to become bona fide title contenders next year.

“With immediate effect we will fully focus on the BMW Sauber F1.09,” said Theissen on the team’s official website. “After all, after the season is before the season. The challenges are big but we will stick to our ambitious goal: in 2009, we want to be one of the teams battling it out for the title.”

BMW Sauber finished the 2008 championship third on 135 points to Ferrari’s 172 and McLaren’s 151. However, Theissen believes that wide-ranging changes to the 2009 regulations could bring about a shift in the standings, as teams adjust at different rates to the new rules.

“A shift in the balance of power on the 2009 Formula One grid is entirely possible,” explained Theissen. “In 2009, Formula One will have to face arguably the most dramatic rule changes in the history of the sport. Due to the aerodynamic restrictions, the appearance of the single-seaters will differ massively from this year's Formula One cars.

“To cut a long story short: the front will be bulkier, there won't be any winglets and superstructures in front of and on the side pods respectively - and the rear wing will be smaller and positioned higher. Furthermore, slicks will make their comeback. In addition, the introduction of the KERS technology for the recovery of brake energy is in the offing.”

And despite the obvious challenges of the 2009 season, Theissen is optimistic that BMW Sauber are on schedule with their development programme.

“In both Munich and Hinwil, we have been working flat-out on the developments for the coming season and the work on the different projects is progressing as scheduled, so far,” he added. “The roll-out of the BMW Sauber F1.09 has been scheduled for 20th January at Valencia. Afterwards, we will conduct three further tests before the 2009 season kicks off in Melbourne on 29th March.”
    Hmmmm....
    Meskovic
    this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

oh man.... next season sounds promising!!! cant wait for it to start!! and the best part...its coming straight to our neighbouring town :D
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Next season (if a clean season) will be one of the best for some time! BMW we be there strong, Alonso is going to be back as strong as ever, Massa wants to revenge, Kimi misses the competition, and Hamilton the defending champion, wow!
      Meskovic
      this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

What do you reckon about vettel? do you think he will be a contender for the title next season? he was promising this time around!
        Current
        E92 M3 - Mineral White
        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
        E36 318is
        E39 540i ///M sport
        VW CC
        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

He will be there, but im not sure if he will make champion yet! he proved to be strong but n ot strong enough
          Meskovic

Comment

The final race of the next season will be in Abu Dhabi, I hope it goes down to the wire like in the previous two years, with BMW fighting for the championship
            ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

oh man!!! that will be awesome...the whole BMW club in Auh cheering for the BMW Sauber team :D..... that will be one helluva energy packed event!
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

We need to book tickets... the race weekend will be on Nov. 13-15 2009
                ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

have they started selling them??? keep an eye out for them!
                  Current
                  E92 M3 - Mineral White
                  F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                  E36 318is
                  E39 540i ///M sport
                  VW CC
                  E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

im waiting....
                    Meskovic

Comment

Working...
                    X