What race setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ayham View Post

Nabil, dude can't even start imagining what that red pocket rocket would be doing!!!!
    I cant stop imagining :woot:

and it will be a white pocket rocket ;)
    Meskovic
    this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Agreed Ahmad, I know people would pay for that kinda backup! Does make things easier to have someone who's done it all seen it all...

We're set on the GC, but as you said still did not decide whether or not to use sway bars. The FCAB & RTAB poly bushings are at TAM as we speak, will pick 'em up tomorrow...I'll run the beginning of the season on my stock setup (with shot shocks) and save the Corsas till later with the GC kit in.

I DO suggest using brake cooling ducts. DIY? When are you free and what do we need?

Nabil, dude can't even start imagining what that red pocket rocket would be doing!!!!
      Ayham, if my memory serves me well, the front bar on the E46 M3 is already 26mm and the rear is around 22ish or so. I would speak with James and confirm. Previously he sold an I Stock kit which required stock front bar with no rear bar. I had aftermarket bar and the car was a handful. WIth stiffer springs, you really dont need much bar on these cars especially in the rear.

Confirm with Bimmerworld and go with it. Make sure you get stiff enough springs (this will require a revalved set of single adjustable Konis from Bimmerworld). The stock Konis (at least on the E36s) would max out at 500lbs front and 600lbs rear, anything over, the shocks were underdamped.

Personally, 700lbs front and 800lbs felt AWESOME on my full interiored factory weight stock classed racer. These cars are heavy and you stiffer springs help quite a bit.

RE: Brake ducting kit, I had my friend Bernardo Payet build me the templates: bernardo@payetmotorsport.com best is to email him (give my reference) and he see if he has access to an E46 M3 and can mimic/test fit it. If not, just get it from Bimmerworld.

The kit is quite simple, we can do it ourselves too if you have something to rivet it with (search on Bimmerforums on what guys are using for those). We got our parts from Home Depot. For hoses, I would use 3 inch neoprene (aircraft) hose. 4 feet each side. This requires using a dremel to cut the plastic up front to route it through.

If you want to save hassle (slightly pricey option), I would suggest getting the Bimmerworld kit. Comes complete and can be done within an hour (preferred).

Suspension and brake ducts from BW.
      Brake pads: Hawk DTC 70s front, DTC 60s at the back (track). HP+ f/r for autox.

Proper alignment and you are DONE.

Ahmad

Comment

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
        I started working on the 318is race car project, I decided to start the project on a smaller budget than what was intended before due to some work responsibilities that is draining my cash resources and my other race car (the porsche).

We will start with dumping the original 4 banger away and putting in the E36 M3 euro spec 3.0L engine and transmission, bashar is getting me a diff and clutch + flywheel from Jordan which should arrive in about 2 weeks, I will try to reduce the car's weight asmuch as possible, insall a suspension (didnt decide which one yet) and the M3 brakes, I will change all the bushings to poly ones from powerflex, this will be stage one.

Will keep you all posted

(bruno, let your guys take pics:thanks2:)
        KW with 700ish front and 800ish rear? If you can, get the KW Competition (valved agressively to handle stiffer springs) instead of the street V3s. Otherwise, Turner's Group N Bilsteins. These are non adjustable but custom valved to suit the springs you are using. Adjust the height and call it a day.

If you are going to spend money on this car, suspension is where I would put my dime. Stripped down, the car should be around 2600ish lbs when done (without cage). Full open exhaust and chip, intake should get you around 300 to the wheels. should be a beast and VERY easy on brakes/tires (consumables). A set of pads/tires should last you a full year if not more.

Lutfy

Comment

Super!

What do you reckon regarding a square rims setup instead of the OEM staggered? Can find 2 rear OEM 18" rims and use 'em up front for maximum usage of the semi slicks and suspension. I think the front fenders can accomodate 265 tires max.

Comment

Super!

What do you reckon regarding a square rims setup instead of the OEM staggered? Can find 2 rear OEM 18" rims and use 'em up front for maximum usage of the semi slicks and suspension. I think the front fenders can accomodate 265 tires max.
            I hate staggered setups on these cars. You are correct. Square rims and same sized tires is the best way to go.

Lutfy

Comment

Don't forget TIRES!!!

Depending on whether you intend to do trackdays or HPDEs, the right tires will seriously shave your lap times.

Some Hoosier A6s in the right size on the right rims will easily slash a few seconds on the typical RLC course or some semislicks would be great for shaving some time at trackdays if that's your thing.

I'd recommend doign trackdays on street tires though in order to focus on pure driving techniques, and go with the sticky gumballs for RLC to surprise a few ppl ;)

Comment

Working...
              X