What do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do?

Aside from posting on this board, shining your Beema and scouring the internet for the next upgrade to your car, what exactly do you guys do during the day - what is your job?

I'll start. I work for a US project management company. Specifically, i am a Senior Planning Engineer, meaning i get involved with the forecasting, and then subsequent progress-monitoring, of the programme, resource and costs associated with major engineering and construction projects. I am currently working on the construction of the new Global Village facility, and my office are based there (on the Emirates Road near Arabian Ranches).

And you?
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

hmmm interesting...

I come from an Electrical Engineering background and currently work with engineering consultatants called DC Pro.. My position is project manager and we're doing site supervision & engineering review of the construction of 2 district cooling plants at Motor City, and the expansion of Dubai Investment Park district cooling plant :)

So yeah I'm 5 minutes away from you Phil :)

BMW history:
    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
      we're doing site supervision & engineering review of the construction of 2 district cooling plants at Motor City
      Le me guess, using my knowledge of construction in Dubai...behind on programme and over budget? ;)
      theeldestboy

Comment

Great initiative Phil...

I come from an Aeronautical Engineering background. Planes have always been my first love. wanted to be pilot first, but had a bad time convincing my folks that flying is safer than walking on the streets :)....since that didnt work out well, decided to do the next thing closer to aircraft... engineering it! ;)

Currently, I am working for FedEx Express Intl Inc. in the planning and engineering department as a Linehaul Engineer. I manage and support the all Flight ops for FedEx MEIA. I shuttle between two offices, one our HQ in the world trade centre and the other, our ops hub next to terminal 2, mostly in terminal 2 wher the action is :)
        Current
        E92 M3 - Mineral White
        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
        E36 318is
        E39 540i ///M sport
        VW CC
        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

lol-isnt it always that way in the construction industry.

I am also in the construction industry (oil and gas) and I work in JAFZA. I work in Procurement. I must have the least stressful job in the whole of the UAE if u take all that into account! At least it only takes me 20 mins to get to work, and I work at one location and dont need to travel.

Think before you act.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeister View Post
            lol-isnt it always that way in the construction industry.

I am also in the construction industry (oil and gas) and I work in JAFZA. I work in Procurement. I must have the least stressful job in the whole of the UAE if u take all that into account! At least it only takes me 20 mins to get to work, and I work at one location and dont need to travel.
            Working in JAFZ is a good deal but hey, Procurement isn't the most stress-free job in the world, especially not in O&G! Most procurement guys i know are up to their ears in work! I'd love to work on the free zone...i'd be straight down the golf resort after work every day!
            theeldestboy

Comment

Originally posted by the eldest boy View Post
              Le me guess, using my knowledge of construction in Dubai...behind on programme and over budget? ;)
              bingo ;)

programme wise: phase-1 started in Feb 07 & was supposed to be finished Apr 2008 (14 months), but until today the programme says Feb 09 (so 24 months)..

budget wise: the main problem is we had to arrange temp chillers cause of the delays in the main plants, so yes were also overbudget!

welcome to Dubai :rofl:

BMW history:
              07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Nice idea Phil...

I'm a legal consultant with Al Tamimi & Co. the biggest local law firm in the UAE. I'm in the Banking & FInance Department and I mostly handle start up and registration of new entities in the UAE... although nowadays most of my work has been diverted to due diligences, mergers and acquisitions... we've also been instructed to brush up on our insolvency laws, hehe... the situation in the world isn't getting any better :)

Anyone out there work in the DIFC?
                sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

I come from a mechanical engineering background from AUS. I have worked for 3 years as a senior field engineer in the oil & gas industry. Shifted a month ago to Haissam's company, DC Pro, as a district cooling mechanical engineer (thanks bro :)). Loving it and seeing another aspect of professional mechanical engineering (thermodynamics and fluid mechanics).

I've been around cars my entire life, literally. And any mechanical system simply fascinates me.

Comment

I work as a Purchasing Executive with Dept of The President's Affairs..

Comment

alright... we've got waaaaaaay to many engineers on this forum, any other lawyers here?! :support:

:taser:
                      sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

I'm an Electrical Engineer (sorry Ahmad :rofl:). I established a company in Dubai Internet City with my brother, our main business is related to the mobile payment solutions field, we also provide other services in terms of customized IT solutions
                        ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

I don't think it's a coincidence that many of the petrol-heads are engineers. The two go hand in hand. As some of you have said, you have a fascination with the technical, so you have a hobby and a job which satisfies this interest.

I'm not technically minded, my interest in BMW's (and other cars) is purely aesthetical, i love the way great cars look. I love beautiful buildings - have a walk around London, Rome, Barcelona and look at the amazing old and modern buildings and you'll see what i mean. Cars are no different in my mind, and good car design, like building design, isn't easy.

I might be biased, but for me the E46 M3 is the perfect car in terms of looks. It's beautifully proportioned, it's not overstated or tacky, it's smooth and sophisticated yet aggressive and mean as well. I wouldn't change a thing about it, it meets it's design criteria perfectly...and nor would i change the Burj al Arab for the same reason. I'll never get bored of looking at that thing.
                          theeldestboy

Comment

^^ Do you cry when seeing the sun set?? :rofl:

Joking buddy.....But each to their own. You're purely hooked on the styling, whereas I'm a sucker for sports cars of all sorts on all levels! I'm intrigued with engine internals and dimensions of various parts, suspension fine tuning and geometry, heat dissipation, aerodynamics, gearing and drivetrain, and the whole lot. Almost any sports car draws a VERY wide smile on my face, if not screaming laughter. Ask Haissam, hee seems to know all about it. Be it Japanese, American, or German...

My family keeps telling me I'll be marrying a car, living in the garage, and turning into a vegetable later on :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                              My family keeps telling me I'll be marrying a car, living in the garage, and turning into a vegetable later on :rofl:
                              :rofl: Good one :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                              X