What do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ahmedg View Post
    Surprise surprise! Here's ANOTHER engineer! Lool I studied electronic engineering, and worked for Schlumberger for 4 years. (Ayham, I'm guessing that you're ex-slb yourself?) I currently work for a company called Expro, and I run downhole video cameras in production wells to help diagnose complex problems. It's similar to the endoscopy that doctors put into your stomach to check for ulcers 'n stuff, except this is for oil/gas wells. It's extremely interesting and rewarding when we get good results!
    The only problem is that since i'm a field engineer, my time is not my own. I'm literally on call 24/7 and am always on the move. I'm constantly hopping from one country to another. I cover the Middle East and North Africa, with Oman and & Qatar being the busiest locations. I've been to Egypt a couple of times and was meant to go to Algeria & Libya a couple of months ago. That's why it's always difficult for me to commit to any programs the bmw club organises. I had to take a holiday for the HPDS day on the 29th so I can guarantee to be able to attend it! lol :D
    +1 to all the above.

No I wasn't with SLB, though I was sad when the recruiting manager denied my application as a graduate because I was "not field material because of my honors degree" :dunno: I'm an ex-Welltec in the wireline, coiled-tubing, and mechanical services departments. So yea, I worked with crews from SLB, HB, Shell, and you name it...I also did a couple of jobs with Shell in New Mexico with the downhole camera technology, neat if you ask me.

One SAD story from my field days is when I applied for a vacation to attend the FIRST HPDS a month in advance and it got approved. However, 2 days before the first round, my day off (which was on a Friday or a Saturday btw) got boiled and I drank its soup! There and then, I missed the first day of the HPDS and spent 4 days in the desert thinking how the hell I wound up in this line of business....

Comment

It was nice readin all ur stories.. Im in g11 in American International School(former AlAndalus) and i still got a whole freakin year ahead!! Cant wait till i graduate. I'm plannin to go for Mechanical Engineering if i can get my marks high enough, if not then ill go for Financing. I still dont know where im gnna study tho, all depends on my parents. I really hope im gnna be able to get into Mechanical tho..
      sigpic
      BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

Well, there are alot of Engineers on here. I am an Aircraft Engineer for a firm in Abu Dhabi working on a military contract with the UAE.

Comment

I come from an IT engineering and computer networking background. I started the business to spend time, getting to know more people and have fun. Lost my IT job and now things are getting serious and I'm 100% business dedicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
            +1 to all the above.

No I wasn't with SLB, though I was sad when the recruiting manager denied my application as a graduate because I was "not field material because of my honors degree" :dunno: I'm an ex-Welltec in the wireline, coiled-tubing, and mechanical services departments. So yea, I worked with crews from SLB, HB, Shell, and you name it...I also did a couple of jobs with Shell in New Mexico with the downhole camera technology, neat if you ask me.

One SAD story from my field days is when I applied for a vacation to attend the FIRST HPDS a month in advance and it got approved. However, 2 days before the first round, my day off (which was on a Friday or a Saturday btw) got boiled and I drank its soup! There and then, I missed the first day of the HPDS and spent 4 days in the desert thinking how the hell I wound up in this line of business....
            actually getting rejected from SLB is good for u
            man those companies r the 2009 model of slavery ...u sell your life for thousands of dollars...no days off ... no time to spend the same money...when i was in the field ...i thought of paying half my salary to sleep ....this life is humiliating to the human being i will never regret my move out of the field.... now my plan is a technical office position ... i hope it comes true but in all cases no more desert
            I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

Working...
            X