X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formating my computer, Need help!

My laptop has been acting up lately!
    I need to format it. HOW THOUGH????
    I'm used to the previous versions of windows where u insert the windows CD and select format.
    My new laptop uses VISTA Business edition, which is pre-installed when you buy the computer. So there is no CD to insert. I only have the sticker that says my product key (password).
    So how can i format my entire computer without loosing any of my data?
    Keep in mind that when i used to format my old PC (XP version), i had the option of formating without deleting any of my personal files.
    Thanks!
    sigpic
    Audi R8 - White / Blk
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

hmmmmmmmm...... okay u need to provide me with the following information, and to be honest.. the easiest way to format ur laptop is to use ur windows CD ....if u dont have a windows CD!! u've got to download it and before all that .... add me on msn because i need to get access to ur computer to tell u which file to download exactly. After that its all easy u just install and insert the right cd key and yuhoo ur done.
    • How many drives have you got (As in "C" "D" "E" ...etc)
    • Locations of the files that you wanna keep
    • Timings where u can be free cuz i need to spend like 2 hours INSIDE ur comp. ;)
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

You should have another partition (most likely D or E) that has all the Vista files... Basically you need to look in your laptop's manual on how to do a recovery... Make sure first of all to backup all the data (best is to make an image of the partitions)
      ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

*always have an external hard drive backup :)
        Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

Originally posted by RiFo View Post
          hmmmmmmmm...... okay u need to provide me with the following information, and to be honest.. the easiest way to format ur laptop is to use ur windows CD ....if u dont have a windows CD!! u've got to download it and before all that .... add me on msn because i need to get access to ur computer to tell u which file to download exactly. After that its all easy u just install and insert the right cd key and yuhoo ur done.
          • How many drives have you got (As in "C" "D" "E" ...etc)
          • Locations of the files that you wanna keep
          • Timings where u can be free cuz i need to spend like 2 hours INSIDE ur comp. ;)
          My laptop is Sony Vaio VGN-TX57GN. Came with no CD. Sales person said it comes pre-installed (built in). Its VISTA BUSINESS 32 bit operating system.
          I have: C drive + D drive (memory stick) + E drive (SD/MMC) + F drive (DVD RW). So its literally the C drive, cause the remaining need to be inserted!
          Location of files are mainly personal stuff which are in "my documents"
          Free any day after 7 pm on week days!
          Let me know if u can help. And i also needed the Norton Anti Virus. Can I get it downloaded or copied, or i have to buy it? hehe!
          My MSN is mmukhaimer@hotmail.com
          MY cell UAE # 050-238-0466. I live in kuwait now, i only use UAE number for messaging, in case u need me to get on MSN.
          Sorry for this, i'm asking for too much, but how else can we notify each other.
          PS. my computer is so slow now. i literally have to type each letter twice for it to appear! i have a virus for sure!
          Thank you for the help!
          sigpic
          Audi R8 - White / Blk
          Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

i think remote desktop can be possible in his case. because he can still type and cry out for help. when reformatting vista os you can still connect it online. using the safe c: mode. so you can still control LSB m3's pc :) good thing with vista. I know rifo can help you out because he is also an IT guy hehe! but try the "LOGMEIN" software its better and faster than windows remote desktop and its not that complicated just the i.d. without IP's. I use that here in the office. if I'm not busy I can help you out. but this week is submission day very busy in our office many computer problems.
            Last edited by ernest; 05-07-2008, 11:20 PM.
            Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

ernest !! ..... i thought i was the only one who knew LOGMEIN !!! haha .. im impressed dude !! ...btw i study Civil Engineering. Computers and Technical stuff are just things that i have fun with :D.

LSB: hmmmm k i got ur contact info.. tomorrow evening i will msg you around 11 PM my time and hopefully i can tell you what exactly you have to do... i'll ask my sources on the best format method to use. I think it is better to make 2 Hard Drives instead of one (for future reference).
              For now..try installing AVG free and run full system scan PLUS download Windows Defender and also run full system scan. It will cure ur current problems for sure..
              Where to get? Google :D.

Will contact you ;)

Have a nice day..

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
              Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
              eMail:
              Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Oh yeah and i believe that ur laptop doesnt need format at all ...just refreshment by the proper tools :D

Need Assistance?
                eMail:
                Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Someone suggested to try Norton anti virus. mine expired and i never renewed it.
                  Then yesterday after getting all freaked out about the situation. vista anti virus message came up. and offered me the vista anti virus for $49. i bought it, since its a vista product! all its doing now is scanning my hard desk, identifying virus (9 tojan items), its giving me the option to delete virus, then says needs to restart computer. once it shuts down and restart, it scans once more, and the same stupid 9 items appear again! and round and round we go!
                  Can i download norton anti virus somewhere? or i have to buy online? and which one to get?
                  sigpic
                  Audi R8 - White / Blk
                  Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Norton is no use ....trust me I'm purchased original Norton and still my laptop got affected by 78 Viruses that were detected only by AVG Software ...

The second software which is Windows Defender should scan all spywares, cookies and any other INTERNET stuff .....

Dont worry i've had such problems 1000 times before..

Need Assistance?
                    eMail:
                    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

logmein for computer geeks so that means rifo is a geek! joking! anyway i advice using NOD32 antivirus and zone alarm for web protection best in the world haha! beats windows defender. chkdsk then defrag then clean sweep and virus scan. will be fast again. norton sucks money expensive and does nothing at all. only slows your computer bootup eats so much memory in your startup. same with avg.
                      Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

Originally posted by ernest View Post
                        logmein for computer geeks so that means rifo is a geek! joking! anyway i advice using NOD32 antivirus and zone alarm for web protection best in the world haha! beats windows defender. chkdsk then defrag then clean sweep and virus scan. will be fast again. norton sucks money expensive and does nothing at all. only slows your computer bootup eats so much memory in your startup. same with avg.
                        haha ^^ .... Zone Alarm is a perfect tool but it needs a computer freak to handle it (like me n u lol)..thats y im gonna use windows defender and avg. This combination works like a rock..

chkdsk and defrag are the things that im going to do with LSB's laptop ....

Need Assistance?
                        eMail:
                        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

^^ by the way rifo whats your rig and mobo hehe.
                          And 1 question water cool or direct cooling? hahahhahhaaha!
                          Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

The IT guy in my company is going to back up my files and flush my system. i will replace the vista i have with XP! i hate vista! so the problem should be solved this way.
                            I would like to thank everyone for their help, specially RIFO.
                            Cheers!
                            sigpic
                            Audi R8 - White / Blk
                            Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Originally posted by ernest View Post
                              ^^ by the way rifo whats your rig and mobo hehe.
                              And 1 question water cool or direct cooling? hahahhahhaaha!
                              lol man ....i use normal laptop not high-performance ones ;) .. its a normal Acer 1.7 MHz Centrino 60 GB hard disk and 128 DDR Shared Intel Graphics...see told you normal laptop :)..

But in future, im planning to build something up, custom made CPU that cracks all others ;).... thats for long future hehe

LSB : Don't worry man ....keep us updated and try to keep formatting ur last option, always scan over and over... :)..

Enjoy

Need Assistance?
                              eMail:
                              Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Working...
                              X