New Car Registration law!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Car Registration law!!!

I'm mixed up here. I read that cars that are 10 years old are to be registered BUT not sold and cars that are 20 years old are to be basically thrown out UNLESS they're classified as Classics or Rally cars!!

RTA?? There are PRISTINE sports cars of all brands that meet all registration regulations and conditions!! What we just get rid of them?? Is it an image thing? People like Bashar participate in motorsports with their old cars, he's doing it with his super clean, super strong '94 M3. One of the conditions to take part is that the car is road legal and registered, so with the new law at the door he won't be able to race it on tracks! Unless he tows it on a flat bed, which is an unreasonable cost given the car is streetable...

Something needs to be done..

What the hell!?
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Ok, I might be able to bring some light to this matter. I think the law states cars older than 10 years old cannot be newly registered in UAE. Meaning a person cannot bring a car over from another country and try to register it after it's 10 years old. This will not affect cars older than 10 years that have already been regsitered in UAE before this law passed. These care will be what we call grand-fathered.

Now you may ask how do I know this? This is the same they did with right hand drive cars built pre 1998. A person cannot import a pre 1998 car that is right hand drive and convert it to left hand. I have many friends with Skyline GT-Rs and Supras which were greatly affected by this when law passed a few years back. Those who had Skylines and Supras registered before this law were not affected. Those who didn't were enable to drive in UAE and were left no option but to sell their cars to other gulf countries.

Therefore I believe those of use who have already registered our cars will be ok inshallah. But then again I could be wrong.
      Last edited by Momentum59; 16-07-2008, 11:15 AM.

Comment

i asked people around and including the person where i got my car from and i get this information. the law is saying that when your car is registered here in dubai for over 20 years. your are not able to register your car on its 21st birthday. but if your car is an export car thats from another country and its your first time to register it here in dubai you can still be able to register it. and you have 20 more years to trash it :) meaning its by the year registered not the exact car age from the production time line :)
        Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

Sure??

Comment

Only people that can be sure are the RTA people (the top chiefs not the regular staff)
            ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

the guy that i asked is from rta that lives in ajman and sells 2nd hand bmw cars from japan hehe :) he also said its published in magazines and news papers dated JAN 2008.
              Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
                Only people that can be sure are the RTA people (the top chiefs not the regular staff)
                maybe i asked the chief janitor of rta :rofl: and gave me rag information haha :rofl:
                Last edited by ernest; 16-07-2008, 03:47 PM.
                Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

lads post some links from a RTA source that will shed more light on the topic

Comment

bah ..... RTA is trying to reduce the number of cars in the UAE ...
                    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                    eMail:
                    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Taken from CAR Magazine, July 2008 issue 7 volume 4 :

" Motorists and car owners in the UAE have been rocked by reports that cars older than 20-years will be banned from the road and those older than 10 cannot be sold. The proposals, wich will see the figure reduce to 15 in 2010, and also restrict the importation of cars older than 5 years, are set to become a law in January 2009.

These plans were forst annpunced in a press release issued by General Motors (A$$HOLES!) in early june about Hybrid taxis. "

More on this later, I'm going to the garage !
                      sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                      Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                      LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                      P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                      Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

yikes! mine is 1993 oh no!
                        Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

This is what I found ! :read:

Originally posted by Al Khaleej Times View Post
                          20-year rule has old car dealers worried
                          By Joy Sengupta (Our staff reporter)

17 June 2008

DUBAI — With the recent decision of the Ministry of Interior (MoI) to stop registration of 20-year-old vehicles from January 2009 onwards, used car dealers in Dubai and Sharjah are a worried lot. What worries them most is the decision, according to which, import of light vehicles more than five-year-old will also be stopped. As per the decision, the import of seven-year-old heavy vehicles will also be banned.

A number of used car showroom owners told Khaleej Times they import 10-15 years old light vehicles from places like the US and Japan. According to them, the used car business would be hit badly if the clause was not amended by the authorities.

Colonel Ghaith Al Zaabi, Director-General of the Federal Traffic and Patrol Department at the MoI, had told Khaleej Times on Sunday that the decision of the Cabinet’s Services Committee concentrates on regulating licensing of light and heavy vehicles with the objective of reducing traffic snarls and protecting

the environment from the polluting emissions. The official had noted that from year 2010, vehicles which are 15-year-old, would not be allowed in the streets.

An official of the Al Heerah used car showroom in Sharjah said, "This is bad news for used car showrooms. On an average, each showroom imports at least 25 old cars from countries like the US and Japan every month. Most of these cars are 10-15 years old. We have brands like Mercedes, BMW, Opel etc coming from Japan. From the US, we have cars like Nissan Pathfinder, Grand Cherokee coming in. This move will hit used car business."

He added: "They should increase the five-year bracket for imports."

Naved, a representative of Al Attar used car showroom in Dubai said the move to ban 20-year-old vehicles would have little impact in Dubai. "If you talk of Dubai, there are not many people driving the 1988 model cars. Moreover, we don’t deal with vehicles which are that old. A majority of used car showrooms in Dubai deal with vehicles which are a maximum 5-10 years old," he said.

The representative, however, added that the import of used cars would be affected.

"The 20-year-old ban would mainly affect the Sharjah used car market as there are many showrooms there which deal with very old cars. But then the import business would get a slap. We are currently waiting for an official statement from the authorities which will confirm this," said Rajan Sareen, a sales executive from the Al Barad used car showroom in Dubai.

Representatives of some other showrooms in Sharjah also said the authorities should consider registering those vehicles which are in good shape and do not pose any environmental risks.

Earlier, local media reports had stated that the National Transport Authority would be recommending a system under which the owners of old cars could be compensated, in any way, by the respective transport authorities of the different emirates.
                          20 years and above :yuhoo:
                          sigpic
                          07' HFP Accord | Current
                          HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

thanks so i guess we are all fine... however in 2010 cars that are 1995 model and older will get hit. in beirut you cannot import cars older than 5 years. and i gues it won't do any harm here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                              thanks so i guess we are all fine... however in 2010 cars that are 1995 model and older will get hit. in beirut you cannot import cars older than 5 years. and i gues it won't do any harm here.
                              true :)

but u know in lebanon they extended it a bit lately.. u can import a 2001 till end of 2008 :wiggle: so it must have become 7 years now

BMW history:
                              07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Working...
                              X