Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown tire @ 230 km/h - photostory

Good morning guys,

I recently found some photos I took in 2006, showing the RF tire that exploded while driving on an unlimited section of the autobahn between Dresden and Cologne.

Since there were only a few cars on the autobahn I was able to go almost v/max, and then it happened. A loud bang, followed by a extremly shaky steering wheel. It felt like driving over a cornfield.

I was gently braking while steering to the emergency lane, where I got off the car to look whats happened. I saw the damaged wheel, and decided to drive slowly to the next parking area which was only a few 100 metres away. That would have not been possible with normal tires, but I had runflat tires on that car.

Maybe the runflat tires saved our lives/car, I don't want to know what happened if a "normal" tire blows at that speed.

On the parking area I looked what was damaged: the wheelhouse completely blown away and the fromt bumper slightly shifted.

As I had no spare tyre (I thought with runflats I can always reach the next garage, but here it was impossible to go on) I called the BMW Service which delivered a spare tyre.

Then we continued the trip and reached Cologne almost in time.

Pic 1: Getting off and looking whats damaged. The runflat prevents the rim from touching the ground, there is always that little tire-ring remaining.

Pic 2: Wheel en detail, wheelhouse missing

Pic 3: changing wheel

Pic 4: closeup

CU

CMDR
    Last edited by CMDR; 05-08-2010, 02:22 AM.

My God! Glad nothing bad has happened and that u guys were able to park on the side safe and sound :)
    The tire looks scaryyyyyy!
    sigpic
    Audi R8 - White / Blk
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Thats why they say run flats are safe..

Comment

I am glad that everyone was safe.

The tyre looks like it was due for replacement for some time. How many kms had it done before it bloew up.
        sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

Reminds me of my YAS Island tire blow at 225km/hr. I find your "corn field" expression spot on :)

Comment

^ Always a safe bet to run 'run flats' I had a similar incident when I hit a pot hole at 180kmph. Nothing but a lound noise came off that one. :)

Screw ride quality, Im hands down for safety!
            2008 325i coupe
            Stock

Comment

Damn that was a close call... glad nothing happened then!
              sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

RF tires = safe driving
                glad that it was fine and no one get hurts

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

love ur rims
                  Meskovic
                  this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
                    love ur rims
                    +1^

Were you running Z rated tires or just standard radials ?

I'm guessing standard radials...
                    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
                      +1^

Were you running Z rated tires or just standard radials ?

I'm guessing standard radials...
                      The tires are Z-Rated and in a rare metric format:

Dunlop SP Sport 2000 TD 230/55 ZR390

R390 means 390mm diameter.

http://www.ctyres.co.uk/tyre_info/Metric_sizes.html

These tires were first sold in the early 1990s and were AFAIK the only (and maybe the first) run flat tires at that time.

A new 5 series E34 could be orderd with these tires/rims as an optional equipment.

Today these tires can still be ordered, but they are very expensive compared to the non-metric formats (1 (ONE!) tire = 200 EUR = 950 AED). However, in 2003 I bought a new set and obviously it paid ...

Note: the rims can only be equipped with this tire format; no other tires will fit due to a special rim construction that holds/locks the inner ring of the tire even under heavy forces. This can bee seen on the pictures; there is about 4 cm very stiff tire (maybe reinforced with metal) around the rim that did not detach and on which (slow) driving is possible. The cars operating manual says that one can go around 60 km @ max 50-60 km/h.

Today, the new runflat tires use a different technology.

CU

CMDR
                      Last edited by CMDR; 05-08-2010, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

I'd pay the extra money and know I'm driving on a special rim-tyre combo from the factory. You go girl for knowing your tyres...

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
                          I am glad that everyone was safe.

The tyre looks like it was due for replacement for some time. How many kms had it done before it bloew up.
                          At the time of the incident the tires were around 3 years old, I drove around 30.000 km.

But I think I know the reason why this tire exploded, although I can't prove it.

As we have many hills and mountains and in winter there is snow and ice, almost everyone mounts special winter tires in Oct/Nov and switches back in Mar/Apr. Take for example a road like the wonderful serpentine up on Jebel Hafeet near wonderful Al Ain - if there would be snow or ice on it it would be very difficult to go up on "normal" tires, let alone going safely down w/o sliding into the serpentines guide rail.

Some days before the incident I let my cars tires changed from winter to summer tires, and maybe - although I can't prove it - they forgot to check the tire pressure. This is important because the "summer" rim/tire was stored throughout the winter without being used, and in a few months it can happen that the tires loose some pressure.

If this is not checked on mounting, you go with low pressure that can lead to what we have seen above.

CU

CMDR

Comment

Which is basically tire flex due to high speed, center of the tread expands forward as if it is swollen and ends up shearing off the carcass/inner tube (not air tube).
                            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Blown out tire is my biggest fear when I go over 200Km/h...I'm not sure with a normal tire a crash can be avoided at such speed or even a rollover especially if its a front tire.

Comment

Working...
                              X