F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by CMDR View Post
      At the time of the incident the tires were around 3 years old, I drove around 30.000 km.

But I think I know the reason why this tire exploded, although I can't prove it.

As we have many hills and mountains and in winter there is snow and ice, almost everyone mounts special winter tires in Oct/Nov and switches back in Mar/Apr. Take for example a road like the wonderful serpentine up on Jebel Hafeet near wonderful Al Ain - if there would be snow or ice on it it would be very difficult to go up on "normal" tires, let alone going safely down w/o sliding into the serpentines guide rail.

Some days before the incident I let my cars tires changed from winter to summer tires, and maybe - although I can't prove it - they forgot to check the tire pressure. This is important because the "summer" rim/tire was stored throughout the winter without being used, and in a few months it can happen that the tires loose some pressure.

If this is not checked on mounting, you go with low pressure that can lead to what we have seen above.

CU

CMDR
      Yeah! I understand what you are saying. I have been in Austria for around 2 years.

At 3 years and 30,000 kms your tyres were already quite stressed out.

I believe they over inflate, the tyres when they put them to sleep for the summer/winter.

However, like you said, it is very difficult to prove what actually went wrong.

The good thing is, that everyone is safe. And nothing else matters.
      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Working...
      X