Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferrari recalling 458 Italia

Ferrari 458 Italia

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ferrari is recalling its new 458 Italia model after several vehicles were reported to have burst into flames.

A Ferrari spokesperson told CNNMoney.com the luxury supercar is being recalled in order to make modifications to the wheelhouse assembly.

"In rare instances the heat shield could become deformed, bringing it too close to the exhaust system and igniting," a Ferrari spokesperson said.

Ferrari is recalling all its 458 Italia vehicles after five fires were reported in California, Switzerland, China and France.

Deliveries of the car in the U.S. began this summer. It has a 4.5-liter 8-cylinder engine, 7-speed automatic transmission, 570 horsepower and has a base price around $230,000.

Ferrari said the company is asking owners of the cars produced before July 2010 to bring them in to have the glue replaced with mechanical fasteners.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released a statement saying Ferrari's Italian headquarters had told its North American division about the recall. NHTSA warned that if the adhesive ignites it could "render the vehicle inoperable and possibly result in a crash."

The NHTSA statement said 303 vehicles are being recalled, and owners could be eligible for reimbursement for if they spent money on repairs related to the problem before the recall was announced.

Ferrari North America will start notifying affected customers within two weeks, NHTSA said.

Last week, Britain's Sky News site said drivers of the 458 Italia were "fearing they are jinxed after 10 of the vehicles crashed or caught fire within three months ... It is not thought that the 458 design has a fault, just that the owners have been unusually unlucky."
    Source: Yahoo!
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Well, its about time.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

"It is not thought that the 458 design has a fault, just that the owners have been unusually unlucky."
      They just admitted the adhesive is the cause for all the 458s on fire, how can they say the owners have been unlucky

Anyways, this had to be done long ago, good they brought up the recall..

Comment

^ Agreed Every now and Then i hear that a 458 burst into flames ..
        sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
        E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
        E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
        E23 735i - Sold

Comment

If I bought one of these and it burst into a $230,000 blaze....Who's going to pay for it, especially that insurance doesn't cover such accidents?

Comment

Glue...really??

Past Ride: E39 530i
            Current Ride: E46 330i Hartge
            Mods: Matt Black Front Grille | Hartge ECU Chip Tuning | Smoked Rear lights | M3 front bumper | M-Tech rear spoiler | Stett performance headers | Rear M-tech 1 bumper

Comment

Emirates Today mentioned it 3 days back if im not mistaken...

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
              E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Well, good thing they issued the recall before they were recalled to court!!

Originally posted by hamoodi_7 View Post
                Glue...really??
                Dude, you'd be surprised on whats held together by glue in cars!!
                sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Working...
                X