Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to break in a brand new engine

Gents,

as i never run in an engine i would like to know your opinion..

There are soooo many different philosophies...

I would just go "normal" for the first 1000 Kilometers, then get the oil changed and after that FULL ATTACK MODE!

What do you guys think?
    sigpic

Simon Motorsport L.L.C
    Dubai Investment Park 2
    The Curve Building Complex
    Warehouse No.1
    P.O Box 28638
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates
    Office: +97148830851
    Web: www.simonmotorsport.com
    Email: Franz@simonmotorsport.com
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/simonmotorsportdxb
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/simon_motorsport_dubai#

i know what you know first 1k go slow and dont pass 100 after that kill it :D

E36 1996 325 coupe MT + supercharged RIP
    E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech + Bolt On's CURRENT
    E30 1989 325 M50 Mtech coupe MT + RIP
    E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech coupe AT SOLD
    E30 1991 325 low 4door AT SOLD
    E30 1988 320 ac schnitzer 4door AT RIP
    E36 1992 325 M50nv MT DRIFT/RACE CAR CURRENT
    E34 1991 525 ac schnitzer Daily CURRENT

Comment

Well, most of the dealers suggest driving less than 100 kmph until the first 1K Kms.. But others say that the engines are broken through before it gets sold to the customers, while testing etc..

I say follow the rules and be on the safe side, kick it after the 1K..

Comment

all german engines broken in from the factory... floor the MOFO

Comment

I know it as Bruno said.. but I would drive "moderately" for the first 1k... although, moderately is a loose term in your dictionary! hehe
          sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

I would not go above 100km/hr for the first 3000 kms. In addition, I would try not to rev aboce 2000 RPM for the first 1000kms.

Then I would take the RPMs higher progressively as the car gains mileage, upto 5000 kms.

In addition, I would not go above 2000 RPM unless the car is fully warmed up.

I would have another oil change at 5000 kms. After this, I would break in the engine in 3 ranges.

1) Low range => Full throttle from low speed.
            2) Mid Ragne => Cruise around at highway speeds not keeping constant at any speed for long.
            3) Upper Range => Get the car to like 100km/hr and then give it full throttle to like above 200.

In another 2000kms, the engine should be right as rain.
            sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
              Well, most of the dealers suggest driving less than 100 kmph until the first 1K Kms.. But others say that the engines are broken through before it gets sold to the customers, while testing etc..

I think driving speed doesn't matter just as long as you keep the engine speed under 2500rpms or so?
              sigpic
              BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post

All the car manufacturing companies use a continuous production method which outputs alot of cars . I think it would be impossible for VW or BMW or any other brand to test every single one of the cars and thus break the engines.

I say stick to the rules because 1000 kms now can save alot of hassle and problems later on, and this is what you are looking for , a fault free car !

P.S : You can join us for the drive on the 18th March and you'll increase the mileage :)
                07 E64 650i Silver

sigpic

Comment

What bruno Said is True +1
                  sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
                  E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
                  E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
                  E23 735i - Sold

Comment

Gun it
                    Meskovic
                    this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
                      Gun it
                      +10000000000

as soon as the engine oil reaches its optimal temperature

i tried it on so many cars, all proved the theory!

here is a link: (i posted long ago actually)

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Comment

Low RPMs = Safe Side !
                        sigpic
                        07' HFP Accord | Current
                        HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

what i did was read the manual and found out that it said you need to drive with low rpm and under 140 km/hr for 1700km (2000km for the new X5 5.0 i think it depends on the car. Then open its Virginity and go crazy.

I think this is the correct way.
                          1. Don't go more then 80km/hr.( No one does that, I didn't even do this but i never went above 120km/hr)
                          2. Don't drive the same speed for a long time (that means NO CRUSE CONTROL and HIGHWAYS) because the encourage you stay the same speed.
                          3. Warm up the car in the mornings
                          4. Do all above for about 1500KM
                          5. After that Go crazy full throttle
                          6. Drive normally. Now you have a healthy engine which is not lazy.

All this is not just for the engine. You need to do around 250km till your brand new brakes become fully operation,500km for tries and 1000km for the gearbox etc.

I always hear people say that they went full throttle from day 1 and never had any problems. But they sold their cars in 2 or 3 years and did only 40-50k km. No engine will show any problems in low mileage . I think this way is not correct.

ps The new engines don't need to change the oil after 1000km.
                          Last edited by mn07; 09-03-2011, 04:54 PM.
                          335i (Dual Clutch Transmission)-BMW Performance Exhaust- JB 4 -Stage 2 aFe Dual Cone Intakes-aFe air scoops-M tech kit-19" M Rims Painted Gunmetal-Michelin PS2
                          White Angel Eyes-Carbon Fiber Mirror caps-BMW Performance High Speed Fan (850watts)-BMW Performance Diffuser-BMW Performance Stripes

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder View Post
                            +10000000000

as soon as the engine oil reaches its optimal temperature

i tried it on so many cars, all proved the theory!

here is a link: (i posted long ago actually)

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
                            I think thats for bikes
                            335i (Dual Clutch Transmission)-BMW Performance Exhaust- JB 4 -Stage 2 aFe Dual Cone Intakes-aFe air scoops-M tech kit-19" M Rims Painted Gunmetal-Michelin PS2
                            White Angel Eyes-Carbon Fiber Mirror caps-BMW Performance High Speed Fan (850watts)-BMW Performance Diffuser-BMW Performance Stripes

Comment

see as much as im tempted to go with bruno's philosophy, i reckon since its not my car id say play it safe and dont thrash it - 'yet', that said if it were my car, bugger it i'd have it going sideways right outta the showroom!! lolz

Comment

Working...
                              X