Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Ferrari F430 Experience

Hi guys,

After reading Ayham’s post last week about Ferrari hire for 999aed, I was really interested, so I called the guy and got the low-down. I spoke to a guy called Eric who explained the deal - drive (with an instructor) a Ferrari F430 for 1 hour, picking up from the Jumeirah Beach hotel, including photos and a DVD. No hidden costs, no fuss - just turn up and drive. I booked myself in for 1pm on Friday. It turned out to be a great decision.

I (and my mates who had come along to watch!) turned up slightly early at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel and so we went for a coffee. Eric called to apologise that he was out with a customer and that he was running around 15 minutes later. This wasn’t a problem at all, and if anything it just built up the excitement and anticipation even more. Eric called me to say that he was back and that I could come out to the front of the hotel. I walked out, and there it was. A 2008 Ferrari F430, which is exciting enough at anytime, but the thought that I was about to actually drive this car was unbelievable! I was met by Eric, the Marketing Manager, and Calvin, who would be driving with me for the hour. These guys were great, really nice people whose enthusiasm, excitement and excellent service really helped build the excitement. Eric and Calvin were really cool and they allowed my friends and I around 20 minutes with the car at the hotel to take pictures, sit in the drivers seat, look at the engine etc etc. This was great because I didn’t feel rushed and it gave my friends a “free” thrill as they got to have their pictures taken, sit in the driver’s seat etc. I mean, how often do you get that close to a Ferrari, to have the opportunity to sit in it and have your photo taken?

Eric and Calvin explained that rather than being an introductory offer, the hourly hire idea will be the norm. They are targeting people like me who would love to drive a Ferrari but are not willing to fork out 5000aed for a whole day, plus the associated insurances, mileage limits etc. While 999aed is proportionally more expensive than day/week hire, it’s the only way that people can reasonably hire a Ferrari with no risks and, I would argue, more fun than hiring it for a day on your own. This experience is intense, fun, thrilling.

Finally, we were ready. I got in the car with Calvin, and turned the key to start the electrics, at which point the instrument cluster lit up like a Christmas tree! Calvin then pointed to the ENGINE START button on the steering wheel, which I pressed with nervous anticipation. The noise of the Ferrari engine, even when idling, is awesome. It gurgles. You can feel and hear all that energy from the massive engine just waiting to explode. It makes you shiver! First of all I actually had to reverse, and you engage reverse gear not via the shift paddles but by a button on the centre console. I reversed out of the gap I was in and then tapped both shift paddles at the same time to engage neutral (like in the M3, the selected gear is displayed in the cluster). I then tapped the +ve paddle to find first, and off I went, making my way out of the hotel driveway and onto Beach Road. Wow, what a feeling.

I’ll tell you now that Calvin is armed with both a normal still camera and a video camera, and at various points on the trip he’ll get the video out and film you driving, other cars, the road etc. He films from cool angles, like out of the back window, in the wing mirrors etc. Most of the trip I am about to describe is documented on both video and photographs. I don’t have these pictures yet, Calvin is sending them to mo today. The pictures taken here were taken on my camera by my friends and only show me at the hotel before and after the trip…as soon as I have the, I will publish the ones that Calvin took actually on the trip. It’s very worth me pointing out that these photo’s and video are INCLUDED in the price. The 999aed is the all-in cost.

The route we were to take (from the Burj al Arab basically) was to turn off Beach Road onto Umm Sequim Road (USR) toward Mall of the Emirates, then fly over the SZR and continue along USR, through Arabian Ranches Interchange, over the Sharjah Bypass at the back of Arabian Ranches/Global village and eventually to some quiet, long stretches of road when we would be able to have some fun.

One of the first things I noticed about the Ferrari was the amount of space inside. It’s not cramped, it’s not too tight, it’s actually very, very comfortable, not at all how I expected a supercar to be. The driving position is great, the steering column and instrument cluster is nicely laid out and, while you don’t get much of a view from the rear view mirror, the wing mirrors are huge so you get a great view of what’s around you. The second thing I noticed was how easy the car was to drive. As I said before, you’re in a really nice driving position, and driving the car itself is a pleasure. The accelerator isn’t stiff or hard to push, the brakes are not jerky or stiff and the steering is light yet firm. It’s easier to drive than the M3. The acceleration is obviously very fast and noisy, but it’s controlled and smooth…you really feel safe in the car because you get so much feedback through your hands, feet, body and eyes. It’s just an amazing feeling.

Even at low speeds, the car has an awesome sound. When you accelerate, the background engine note is like a trumpet, and the foreground note is gurgles, rasps, grunts and screams. We had the windows down for a lot of the ride just so we could listen to the engine!

By having the windows down, you also get an idea of what it’s really like to own and drive a Ferrari. People talk to you at the lights – they literally wind down their windows and ask you questions! At one set of lights (we were at the front of the line), some Indian guys in an old saloon next to us started revving their engine, pretending they wanted a race! We had a quick chat to them while we waited. The car just commands attention, whether we were sat in the hotel carpark or on the road, everyone is curious about Ferrari. That was part of the thrill of this day. Obviously the main thrill is driving the car, but with that you also get to “live the life” – to be a millionaire playboy for an hour. That was as much fun as driving the car.

Anyway, so we made our may up USR, toward Arabian Ranches, a road which is all lights and roundabouts but we never got stopped for more than a couple of minutes or so. This part of the drive gave me the chance to get used to the car, and it was a good opportunity try some quick starts from the lights, which was great fun. The acceleration is quick, and I mean QUICK. The M3 is a powerful car, quicker in relative terms than almost anything else on the road. The Ferrari is a whole different experience. When you put your foot down, the acceleration is sharp and instant, but you never feel out of control. The car is so firm it’s unbelievable; those massive tyres feel glued to the road. It doesn’t wobble, shake or at anytime make you think that it’s not 100% in control. You get huge amounts of feedback through the steering wheel, the pedals, the seat, everything. You feel at one with the car, and it’s a very reassuring feeling.

Once, we got out past Arabian Ranches and out the back of Global Village, there are some nice long, straight roads where I was allowed to “push the car a little harder”. You travel out a good few miles before turning back on yourself and the doing the whole route in reverse. I won’t elaborate on that any further…I guess you’ll just have to do this trip yourself to see how much fun that part of the experience is! Needless to say, this was a huge thrill and by the time I got back to Arabian Ranches I had a HUGE smile on my face and my heart was beating a little faster!

We then made out way back don USR toward the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, but before you go there Calvin told me to drive to the Al Qasa hotel near the Madinat Jumeirah. On the entrance drive to this hotel, there are a collection of life-size horses, one or two of the in the “prancing” position like on the famous badge. We stopped there for about 10 minutes and Calvin took a few more pictures, which I thought was a really nice little extra touch. We finally got back to the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, and we had been gone for at least the whole hour, if not a little more. As you will see from my pictures, I had the biggest smile on my face – you grin from the second you see the car til the second you finish the experience. We then had some final pictures taken and that was that…off to the café for a much needed coffee and cigarette.

Last week, a few people, including me, were a little sceptical of this offer, citing that at just 999aed it was simply impossible and that it must be a scam. We were wrong. This is, quite simply, a fantastic value offer, which is delivered brilliantly by Eric and Calvin. Their enthusiasm and great service only adds to the wonderful experience. To get the hour’s drive, the photo’s, the DVD and the photo opportunity with the car for only 999aed is quite unbelievable. I know some of you think this is quite expensive, especially when compared to a day’s hire, but are you realistically every going to fork out for a day hire at 4000-5000aed. No, you’re not, because that’s silly money. 999aed isn’t – yes, it’s still a lot of money but it’s within reason (in fact, I think it’s cheap) and you get great value for your outlay.

I’ve done some brilliant things in my life, and this was one of the best. I drove a Ferrari F430, on public roads, and I felt like a king. I’d thoroughly recommend this trip to any of you. If you were thinking about doing it, then just call them up and do it. You won’t regret it.

I know that Calvin and Eric will be reading this review and I would like to once again thank them for giving me such a great time on Friday. I will certainly be rebooking at some stage and my friends will be doing the same. Keep up the good work guys.

Last edited by the eldest boy; 09-11-2008, 12:41 PM.
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Awesome review!

Comment

hope u enjoyed it-i certainly would have liked to experience it

Think before you act.

Comment

I still remember my joy ride in one a year ago :cry:!!!

Comment

Working...
        X