SUPERCHARGE / TURBO KIT FOR E46 M3....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My looooong input on Turbo v. Supercharged

Not sure if you've gotten into the FI for your M3 yet, but seeing as it is not June yet, I'll give you my input.

Background- Father has a CLS 55 AMG (aka supercharged V8)
    Mother has a Porsche Cayenne TT (aka Twin Turbo V8)

I've taken the CLS to 165 with 4 people in the car, and the Cayenne to 150 with 4 people in the car.

For your budget, I'd recommend an ESS supercharger system. They have a kit in particular, that will bump your M3 up to around 500 HP, which I can get you a deal on if you'd like.

HOWEVER..... You seem to be a power junkie no? Which is why I would recommend (based on your personal preference) a Turbo system for your car. To be frank, I'm not sure if HPF will be able to get you a turbo kit for your price range, but if they can, GO FOR IT! Otherwise, I may be able to help you out with that as well (should be able to cut off at least 6 grand off of an HPF price) (With Ayham's permission of course).

The Supercharger system will give you more power, but it will feel like your NA engine is just tuned for another 120ish HP. If you want to plant your foot, go a little bit, and then get a complete adrenaline rush from the power, a turbo is the way to go. Superchargers develop more on the HP side, whereas Turbo kits develop both, but are very good for Torque ( i.e. the kick in your A$$ when you floor it.)

If you don't mind letting go of the responsiveness of the M3's engine for a ton of power, the turbo is amazing. I've never felt anything like the TT Cayenne pick up and haul. The power delivery is SAVAGE.

Search on youtube for two different supercharged video's if you want.

The first, is from "m5boarddotcom" The ESS CFR 550 M3 is one of the video's you want.

The second is from "DLSJ5". He has three particular videos that are in your interest. His E46 M3 is installed with a VF stage 2 supercharger, and he races an HPF stage 2.5 E46 M3.

PS- Daily Drivability... Both kits will be fine for your engine. But, since your engine is over the 100k mark, you will need to watch the engine because of the added pressure. Supercharger kits don't deliver as much HP or torque, so the internals can handle it. In the case of the HPF kit, they develop much more power, and some of the internals and intake would explode, which is why the HPF kit is more expensive-- they replace that stuff with stronger parts which can handle the load.

In terms of the heat as well, obviously as shown, the HPF kit can handle it soundly. I know the ESS kit will be able to handle it too because they've done testing in Phoenix, Arizona ( where I'm from... desert.. we have two seasons.. cold summer and hot summer haha).

So there it is. Good luck!
    Last edited by rslomski08; 28-05-2009, 05:47 AM.

Comment

^ Thanks for the input!

It seems that i cant afford the more expensive turbo kits for now. HPF's are out of the question, wayyyyyy too expensive!
      Everytime i do my research i come up with the same result, VF engineering kit is the best value for money. It will give me around 570 hp (stage 2)! which is the kind of power i'm looking for, within my budget.
      And regarding my love for the blow off valve, a friend of mine says that they make blow off valves for supercharger kits, he is someone that knows alot about BMWs. So do they? :)
      sigpic
      Audi R8 - White / Blk
      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Yes, both systems must have a pressure-relief mechanism, i.e. a blowoff valve/wastergate/dump valve.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
          Yes, both systems must have a pressure-relief mechanism, i.e. a blowoff valve/wastergate/dump valve.
          like air-vents in our ETS rooms??

BMW history:
          07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

What's an ETS room???

:rofl2:

Comment

isnt there a supercharger/turbo for sale? a second hand one? i remember a lil bird telling me about it :D
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I hate to contradict you, however there is a ESS supercharger kit that develops 20 more HP than the VF Stage 1 for the exact same price.. ( 500 HP for 9,900 USD) There is also a 550 HP kit (which is down 20 hp from the VF engineering kit) however it is 1,000 UDS less than the VF stage 2 kit.... The ESS kits also develop significantly more torque than the VF Engineering kit, which would be more in line with your turbo craze :D.

If you are interested in the ESS kit, I should be able to knock a little more off that price, giving you an even greater discount vs. the VF engineering kit.
                Last edited by rslomski08; 04-06-2009, 05:45 AM.

Comment

i've always liked ESS from their work on the Z4M.. they do an excellent job on the software once you go FI..

BMW history:
                  07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

^^^ I heard that from you like 1000 times ! on different threads ... go marry ESS !!

:rofl: ...

sorry to offtopic the thread
                    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                    eMail:
                    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Okay after lots of searching it will be the VF Engineering Stage 2!!! I'm still getting price quotes, shipping and warranty details. It has taken forever to get info, late replies, etc!
                      I didn't get much of a discount for the ESS kits. $100 dollars off stage 1, $200 off stage 2! Thats not what i was expecting! i was thinking more like $500 or even a $1,000!!!
                      Anyway, i will keep you guys updated.
                      One thing that i'm wondering about is registration of the car! now here in Kuwait i have my wastas (connections!). Not sure where my career will take me, but i would love to go back to Abu Dhabi, and if i do, how do guys with superchargers register their cars? Whats the solution if there is no wastah???
                      sigpic
                      Audi R8 - White / Blk
                      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be much of a problem... but then again I don't really know. hehe

Good luck dude
                        sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

wat happened to all the previous posts?
                          Current
                          E92 M3 - Mineral White
                          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                          E36 318is
                          E39 540i ///M sport
                          VW CC
                          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

forum maintenance :)
                            sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

The post by SimonB was important.... we should urge him to post it again. That was real life experience talking
                              Current
                              E92 M3 - Mineral White
                              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                              E36 318is
                              E39 540i ///M sport
                              VW CC
                              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Hey Guys. There's seems to have been some site issues and my previous post got deleted. Thought I would repost it...

In short, having been down the F/I road with the E46 M3, I would say that anyone that is considering it needs to take into account that they will incur far more cost than that of just the kit and installation. In order to harness the additional power, get the most out of the modification and do it safely, you need to factor in upgraded suspension, a BBK, uprated clutch, fly wheel, headers, cat back, mounts, bushes, etc, etc. These extra parts in themselves add up to a fair investment. In addition to this, you then have OEM parts which under the additional strain begin to give way and/or require modification ie. at the moment, i'm having a rear sub frame reinforcement kit installed as the additonal torque was bending the OEM mounts. Modifying cars is a labour of love, but anyone looking to do it, needs to take on board that its also an expensive one. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be happier with my choice and the car never ceases to put a smile on my face, but the bills have been serious along the way. There are also very few mechanics in Dubai (& I suspect the region) who are qualified to install and maintain a modified car. After a painful and VERY costly experience with Quartermile, I have thankfully found TAM, who are doing an amazing job.
                                Mods: VFE Stage 2 S/C ; Rotora BBK ; Clutchmasters ceramic racing clutch ; Agency Power Headers and Cat Backs ; H&R Lowering Kit ; Powerflex BK, AC Schnitzer Brace/strut & Diffuser ; CF Interior.

Comment

Working...
                                X