First edition M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First edition M3

A premium of £2,500 gets you the more exclusive BMW M3 Edition, though it's not very different to the regular car.

| First Drive | Bedfordshire, England | BMW M3 Edition |

It's not unusual for car makers to introduce limited production runs in a bid to drum up interest in a model that's been around for a few years, but BMW's approach is a little different in that the M3 Edition will be produced for six months, regardless of how many are sold. Is its exclusivity worth the significant premium though?

In the Metal

Unlike many special editions, this M3 stands out. The most obvious signifiers are the black-gloss finished alloy wheels (actually not standard...), which, together with the black kidney grilles, side vents, bonnet vents, door mirrors and exhaust pipes, lend the M3 Coupé even more menace. The 10mm drop in ride height adds to this too no doubt.

Changes are minimal inside though, with a more tactile centre armrest material and unique leather sports seats complemented by body-coloured stitching elsewhere. Not that we found much wrong with the regular car's cockpit.

What you get for your Money

That £2,500 premium doesn't buy you a lot in truth. The styling additions mark the Edition out as a more exclusive version of the M3, but the only technical change is the minor reduction in ride height already mentioned. Buyers have few options either, as the Edition is available only as a Coupé and can be painted in Alpine White, Dakar Yellow or Monte Carlo Blue. Pity the highly distinctive black alloys are not standard, as they look fantastic. Other than that, buyers can choose between manual and M-DCT dual-clutch transmissions. In summary, you're paying for exclusivity.

Driving it

I'd be lying if I said the drop in ride height brought about a distinct difference in dynamics between the Edition and the regular M3. Sure, it'll reduce the centre of gravity a little, but the standard car is so competent anyway that it's difficult to detect anything different. It remains one of our favourite cars on sale today, with the range of customisation available allowing you to set up the car for whatever you're in the mood for. It's a highly exciting drive and the V8 engine is nothing short of an engineering miracle. Read our BMW M3 first drive for a more in depth analysis.

Worth Noting

If you opt for the Alpine White version, you'll receive a slightly different interior to the other cars featuring contrast stitching on the 'carbon structure' leather trim and contrast-coloured door armrest pads, centre console and centre armrest pad. Additionally, the M3 Edition features a chequered flag design on the door sill plates to celebrate the fact that the M3 has now won more Touring Car race titles than any other car.

Summary

There's not much more to say really. If you already like the BMW M3 then you'll undoubtedly love the M3 Edition model. The £2,500 extra it costs mostly covers the aesthetic changes, which, if the black alloys are included, does result in a distinctly different appearance. No doubt many will think it's worth the price.

Full technical specifications

Source: Car Enthusiast

black kidney grilles, side vents, bonnet vents, door mirrors and exhaust pipes
    Umm !!?! I think they did what everyone was doing before ?! the only difference you get to buy it from agency like that !
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

I dont see the point? u can do this urself, using your own style. I do like the seat stitching!
      The side mirrors look odd!
      sigpic
      Audi R8 - White / Blk
      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Factory finish FTW
        Meskovic
        this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

It won't be CSL-legendary!

Comment

I LOVE the Estoril Blue one!!! I want I want...
            sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

hmmm not worth the extra dough....

not liking the black rim finish either :thumbsdown:
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I'd rather pay Ace Hardware a visit then spend an after noon blacking out all of the above. It still wont cost me a 100£...Rims look like crap in black, they scream out IT WAS DONE IN SHARJAH AND IT'S CHEAP !
                Interior's the only thing worth a little money, the seats do look good.
                Verdict, I'd rather waste the money on a set of coil overs or an Eisenmann !!
                sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

i want it to be my next

yes!

Comment

this is nice but i still prefer the E90 M3 :)

Comment

Hot. But looks like any other E92 M3!
                      '13 F10 ///M5 6MT Alpine White
                      '06 E63 ///M6 SMG Silverstone
                      '95 E36 2JZ Swap Gray - Drift
                      '92 E36 325i Black
                      History:
                      '08 E92 ///M3 6MT Silverstone
                      '06 E60 ///M5 SMG Alpine White
                      '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg
                      '98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue

Comment

don't they sell a cf edition m3...? aka bruno-spec :D

Comment

if u want i know somebody in the factory, i can ask him to do 1 for u .

Comment

Working...
                          X