Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning engine bay

hey guys,

what is the best way to clean the engine bay, Some detailers have dry cleaning and polishing services for the engine bay, or a pressure air will do the job? I need your opinions
    E92 335i /// Sparkling Graphite /// Hartge boot lip spoiler /// Hartge front lip spoiler /// O.Z Botticelli III /// Michelin PS2 /// KW V2(soon) /// H&R rear swaybar(soon)

Originally posted by CurseMan View Post
    hey guys,

what is the best way to clean the engine bay, Some detailers have dry cleaning and polishing services for the engine bay, or a pressure air will do the job? I need your opinions
    Ask Bruno, he'll be knowing cuz ill be getting mine done by his mechanic

Comment

Man use anythin but water, for me pressured air is enough !!

2008 E92 335i Space Grey / Coral Red
      Mods: Front Aero Lip | Hartge Rear Spoiler | JB+ Performance Chip | AA bov | AA full exhaust system | Air Scoops

www.moenajati.com

Comment

Originally posted by Moe-335 View Post
        Man use anythin but water, for me pressured air is enough !!
        To be frank ive tried both, pressured air and water.
        Pressured air cleans the engine dust, but the dust still remains.
        Water ? There's pressured water and theres pouring water slowly, just to wash the engine from top, no parts get affected as theres no pressure.

Comparing both, ive noticed when you get the car washed with water under the car and a lil on the engine, the car feels lighter and smoother, the temperature also feels a lil better.

I dont prefer pressured air cuz I dont see much of a difference getting the dust cleaned.

Comment

My first post was regarding getting the car washed.. But for engine detailing, im sure the detail guys use some kind of polish or sprays to clean the engine.

Comment

What I always do i use pressured air to clean the engine bay and soak a towel in water and apply it on the engine cover and other parts of the engine bay. still i need a better way to maintain my engine look and keep it clean. If there is other safe ways to do it please share it with us :D
            E92 335i /// Sparkling Graphite /// Hartge boot lip spoiler /// Hartge front lip spoiler /// O.Z Botticelli III /// Michelin PS2 /// KW V2(soon) /// H&R rear swaybar(soon)

Comment

It looks safe enough for the car. Basically water plus slightly concentrated hand dishwashing stuff plus an antibacterial compound and a flammable gas to propel it out of the spray can.

Should be perfectly safe for the engine, but I think any hand dishwashing stuff plus some water into a manually pumped atomizing spray bottle would be just as effective.

What I don´t like about it is the methyl sulphate, that kills bacteria, good bacteria and bad bacteria alike.

This might sound like a good thing, but it is not. Too frequent exposure to compounds like these is precisely how we get so called "super bugs", resistant bacteria.

Besides our skin is in symbiosis with protective bacteria that keep infectious bacteria away from microscopic wounds. Kill too many of those good bacteria and you leave the field open to nasty bacteria, aka "hospital illness".

I´m not saying you shouldn´t wash and keep clean, I say don´t use antibiotics or antibacterial stuff unless necessary, and only in the places needed.

Killing all bacteria is as produtive as killing all humans just to get rid of all murderers...

Try using Autoglym Engine cleaner from Autoglym, its one of the best suggested overall by experts. In fact you can use it to clean your rims as well as it is non corrosive.
              Also you can try 303 Aerospace cleaner, has no smell, and is guaranteed safe on any surface (you can even wash fruit with it if properly diluted). The only downside is that it's a bit more expensive.
              All these parts are available online, dont know if they're available here in UAE or no.

Here's a pic of how the engine should look like after cleaning it
              Attached Files

Comment

hmmmm .... Thani !! Ayham just told me today about ProShine in shk. zayed rd. that they offer us a good deal regarding full detailing and body wash .... ask him for more details
                Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                eMail:
                Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Thanks SSense for the info. I will try to find if they sell autoglym here in the UAE. What about P21s? I've heard its good for all surfaces and its non corrosive

Comment

Originally posted by CurseMan View Post
                    Thanks SSense for the info. I will try to find if they sell autoglym here in the UAE. What about P21s? I've heard its good for all surfaces and its non corrosive
                    One of my friend used P21s wheel cleaner, he was impressed. Its compared to Zymol products, which also is a very famous brand, but have no idea of using
                    P21s for cleaning the engine.
                    Check Zymol, they'll be having some products too

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                      It looks safe enough for the car. Basically water plus slightly concentrated hand dishwashing stuff plus an antibacterial compound and a flammable gas to propel it out of the spray can.

Should be perfectly safe for the engine, but I think any hand dishwashing stuff plus some water into a manually pumped atomizing spray bottle would be just as effective.

What I don´t like about it is the methyl sulphate, that kills bacteria, good bacteria and bad bacteria alike.

This might sound like a good thing, but it is not. Too frequent exposure to compounds like these is precisely how we get so called "super bugs", resistant bacteria.

Besides our skin is in symbiosis with protective bacteria that keep infectious bacteria away from microscopic wounds. Kill too many of those good bacteria and you leave the field open to nasty bacteria, aka "hospital illness".

I´m not saying you shouldn´t wash and keep clean, I say don´t use antibiotics or antibacterial stuff unless necessary, and only in the places needed.

Killing all bacteria is as produtive as killing all humans just to get rid of all murderers...

Try using Autoglym Engine cleaner from Autoglym, its one of the best suggested overall by experts. In fact you can use it to clean your rims as well as it is non corrosive.
                      Also you can try 303 Aerospace cleaner, has no smell, and is guaranteed safe on any surface (you can even wash fruit with it if properly diluted). The only downside is that it's a bit more expensive.
                      All these parts are available online, dont know if they're available here in UAE or no.

Here's a pic of how the engine should look like after cleaning it
                      :bow: :bow:

2008 E92 335i Space Grey / Coral Red
                      Mods: Front Aero Lip | Hartge Rear Spoiler | JB+ Performance Chip | AA bov | AA full exhaust system | Air Scoops

www.moenajati.com

Comment

Anytime

Comment

for me what i usualy do is, water wash the engine and then spray it with TIRE BLACK Foam !!! PRESTO !!! you got a new engine bay.

Nice shiny and last longer than any engine cleaner out there. So far i did see any bad effect on any plastic or metal on my car.

Comment

for me the best bet is to use water only-unless u have leaks, u should not have a dirty engine bay-it just gets dusty in UAE.

by the way, i suggest all of u take ur air filter out for an exam and tap it out-u will be shocked at the amount of dust that comes out! 8/

Think before you act.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeister View Post
                              for me the best bet is to use water only-unless u have leaks, u should not have a dirty engine bay-it just gets dusty in UAE.

by the way, i suggest all of u take ur air filter out for an exam and tap it out-u will be shocked at the amount of dust that comes out! 8/
                              I know, thats alot of dust, everytime i take my car for a full wash I do ask them to clean the air filters properly. Thats why I dont get to see alot of dust :)

Comment

Working...
                              X