Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open letter of complaint to BMW: No free lunches

Hey guys,

My family and I have been having a pathetic experience with our BMW 320i. I have tried several times--in vain--to speak with someone at BMW about this issue but nothing has been done. I even emailed them in Germany but received no satisfactory reply.

I recently wrote an article for the local newspaper in Dubai, UAE to bring the issue to the public limelight. The newspaper removed the name of the car company but I guess it shouldn't be too hard to figure?
    --
    I write to your newspaper to bring to light the shoddy and lacklustre after-sales and technical support services of a German luxury car manufacturer based in the UAE, which put my family’s safety at risk and also cost us a great deal of time and frustration. I hope my letter will not only make car owners and potential car buyers in the UAE more careful and informed but also ensure that such substandard practices are not repeated by car companies based in the country.
    A couple of years ago, my family and I purchased the German luxury car with a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement, hoping it would be the ultimate driving experience. One of the offers presented to us while purchasing the car was a 5-year service contract under which we would get all periodic service jobs for “free” by the company at its authorized workshops. At that time, we thought this was a wonderful deal.
    Even as our car went for its first service, we realized we may have been wrong. It took us almost a couple of weeks to get an appointment for the service, the staff at the company was far from polite and finally, our car was extremely dirty when we received it a few days later. When I called the company to file a complaint, I was brusquely asked to bring the car back for cleaning. My other concerns were conveniently sidelined.
    A few months later, when my car developed a malfunctioning door, the same procedure played itself out. The company’s service centre was constantly on no-reply and I had to climb into the car from the back seats as I figured out how to contact the service station. Finally, I left work early and visited the service centre personally only to be greeted by impolite customer-service officers who asked me to bring in the car after 2 weeks and refused to speak with me before I took an appointment. When I asked for a supervisor, I was told he is busy. I was perplexed since I had never been meted with such behaviour in all my years owning several cars in the United States, Singapore and the UAE; that too from a car company of this stature.
    Most recently an incident played out which prompts me to write you this letter and highlights the sheer negligence of the car company. A few days after my car returned from a service-centre after spending 11 days there, I noticed it was not handling very smoothly. On taking the car to a local fuel station, I was advised to stop driving the car immediately since its tires were completely worn out and further driving could put my family and I in danger.
    I was taken aback. First, my car had only clocked about 25,000 kms and the average life of its tires (as mentioned by the company) were 50,000 kms. Second, I remember my drive being much smoother when I handed the car over to the service centre. Had my tires been replaced or my car been mishandled at the service centre? Finally, why had the car company not warned me of such a fatal shortcoming in tires, as is the regular practice with other car companies. On writing to the car company in Germany and calling them in Dubai, I was given no reply and a service manager simply told me sorry and that it would not happen again.
    I cannot help but wonder if the “free” service contract is to blame for this pathetic customer service by the car company. By collecting a higher cost from customers upfront when the vehicle is sold, the car company effectively absolves its quality and commitment to high-paying customers. After all, what is the worst the customers can do once they have bought the car?
    I believe things would be a lot more different if customers paid each time their car was serviced instead of falling into this clever marketing trap of a “free” service contract. Like my finance professor in New York once said, there are no such things as free lunches.
    From an experience that quickly switched from the ultimate driving experience to the ultimate pain in the neck, I hope others can take some useful lessons. No car owners should be made to take issues concerning their safety and their hard-earned money lying down.

Thread moved to the right section..

Comment

Sad to hear what you had to go through.

It happens too often at AGMC.

Still, I would suggest that you go and meet Michael (Service Manager) at AGMC. He is a very nice fellow and shall take good care of your car.

Keep us posted on what happens. Good Luck!
      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

sorry to hear that
        your case is everyone's case who buys BMW from AGMC , no one bothers himself to ask what kind of service contract you get with the car ... and it's a tricky tool the sales ppl use to attract the buyers .

Having service contract doesn't mean BMW will send someone to your house to collect the car and give you a replacement ,, and it doesn't mean your car will have a higher priority appointment than others ... sorry brother but you bought 320I .. we owned M5's and we didn't get such a treatment ever ... I was lucky onetime because the receptionist had enough time for me to call the taxi company.

we've been in the same disappointment once in our lifetime and we here is from every BMW owner who deals with AGMC .. so welcome to the club brother ..

and unfortunately we are not related to any BMW dealer in Dubai and north emirates to support ... but good luck with your complaint and I hope you find a better place to complaint .. and thank you for sharing your experience with us ..

Comment

I JUST FEEL LIKE SHOOTING AGMC IN THE FACE :sniper:!! OMG THIS GOT ME FIRED UP !!!!!! Really Really sorry to hear that bro and Good Luck, sounds like you need it alot of it :)

Past Ride: E39 530i
          Current Ride: E46 330i Hartge
          Mods: Matt Black Front Grille | Hartge ECU Chip Tuning | Smoked Rear lights | M3 front bumper | M-Tech rear spoiler | Stett performance headers | Rear M-tech 1 bumper

Comment

Sorry to hear, as every one has their own experience i would also like to share that my friend bought a 2009 740il from AGMC and since last 2 years his complains about the suspension sound is falling on deaf ears...
            The fact is that when taking a service contract you are actually paying money upfront for the job which has not even occured. its better to ask them to discount the price and take back the SC offer...
            May Allah help you..
            E39///M5 (Carbon Black)
            E39///M kit 530i (Le Mans Blue)
            sigpic

Comment

Will AGMC have a very bad reputation not like AD Motors at least they do a good job in service , try to check ur car outside AGMC better .
              for any thing called free service contract is nothing they wont do a big thing specially if there is something need to bee changed they keep it until its stop working and make a problem then they will change it for u all car agency with free service contract do the same but when u come to the agency without this contract they will try to change any thing they think or have doubt its not working properly or malfunctioning so u pay theim more at the end .
              will good luck with ur car service there is some good workshops in dubai u better check ur car with them try contacting the president Ayham & also try Shak iam sure they will do the best to help u out :D
              sigpic

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.509 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Sorry to hear all this... I know how dangerous this is and I realize the value of this letter. But as a quick note: agmc was not mentioned in the original post, I'm not sure if I missed it as I'm using my blackberry to read this. But pls refrain from naming and shaming any dealer until a name is given. If it was mentioned and I didn't spot it then disregard this post

Comment

Thanks for the support guys. Do you recommend any other garages except for AGMC that I can contact for future work to the car?

Bruno, although I did not mention it in my post, it is AGMC that offered me this "free" service contract and which has been taking me for a ride. I did not know there are other dealers for BMW in Dubai (as some members here have indicated). Its such a shame such a beautiful machine is being officially sold here by such a bad organization.

Comment

Originally posted by mm3729 View Post
                    Thanks for the support guys. Do you recommend any other garages except for AGMC that I can contact for future work to the car?

Bruno, although I did not mention it in my post, it is AGMC that offered me this "free" service contract and which has been taking me for a ride. I did not know there are other dealers for BMW in Dubai (as some members here have indicated). Its such a shame such a beautiful machine is being officially sold here by such a bad organization.
                    You can take your car to Das Autoworks or X Service Centre. Both are reliable.

However, since you have the sevice package, I would still recommend that you meet with Michael at AGMC Service Centre and explain what happened to you.

I am sure he will help you.
                    sigpic

Comment

My cousin's handbrake got stuck on his X5 last week and he couldnt disconnect the wire from the trunk to take it to the dealer, I couldnt believe when AD motor's service advisor came to his house with their computer to diagnose the problem.. Having owned so many BMWs in our family we never had any complains, but only praises, for AD motors..

Its very sad and a shame to hear about other dealers treating their customers in the way its mentioned in the letter, feel sorry and helpless..

Comment

Im sorry to read this and know how customer is sulfuring from such carless dealer! and I know what you feel specially when you paid such amount and you get nothing back regarding the service, but believe me service contract its nothing and as Ehssan said its just a tool in sales hand to convinced the buyers, My M5 service contract ll be expired end of this month and my friend at AD motors he advice me not to renew it coz its simply P**l SH*t.
                        BTW: there is no other dealer for BMW in Dubai, its Abu Dhabi Motors located in Abu Dhabi & Al Ain. and if u wana let your car serviced at AD motors .....then your nearest appointment ll be on November 2010, i went with member Ahmad sallam for his M3 and coz my friend they gave him appointment after 20 days.

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                        E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

So 2 months ago member "Nachiket" has had his car released with 20 wheel bolts comletely loose from AGMC. His wife and little boy were in the car when they thought they were done for. And now this...

I will do all I can to help you out. If you can pass by my office to put this in writing to BMW Middle East, you'd be doing all of us a great favor. The Club will not wait until a driver dies due to arrogant salesmen in suits, incompetent advisors, and distant managers.

Comment

Thanks Ayham. I would be happy to help in any way I can. I already wrote 3 times to the BMW Team in the Middle East (Stathis Stathis, the GM; Gurbax Singh, the CFO; Wolfgang Ecker, the National Service Manager; and Jaxena Ramesh, the after-sales incharge).

In fact, I also wrote to the Customer Service team in Germany. There has been no response from their side whatsoever. I keep getting emails telling me "someone will review your complaint and get in touch with you" but that has been happening since the last 2 weeks. At this point, I am pretty sure they just want to sideline this issue and treat me as a second-rate customer. Very bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by mm3729 View Post
                              Thanks Ayham. I would be happy to help in any way I can. I already wrote 3 times to the BMW Team in the Middle East (Stathis Stathis, the GM; Gurbax Singh, the CFO; Wolfgang Ecker, the National Service Manager; and Jaxena Ramesh, the after-sales incharge).

In fact, I also wrote to the Customer Service team in Germany. There has been no response from their side whatsoever. I keep getting emails telling me "someone will review your complaint and get in touch with you" but that has been happening since the last 2 weeks. At this point, I am pretty sure they just want to sideline this issue and treat me as a second-rate customer. Very bizarre.
                              I would give them some time. I am sure they shall get back to you with something.

I am not loosing faith in BMW so soon. AGMC are idiots no doubt about that. But the rest of BMW is not like that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X