Car polishers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car polishers

Was thinking about getting a proper car polisher (electric rotary, you know the type...)

I read some posts on a detailing forum where the poster was choosing the speed of the polisher - are there machines out there where you can select the RPM, or is it kind of an estimate?

Any ideas where I could pick up a pro-quality polisher in the UAE?

pm member "Pathfinder" he did his e39 M5 using one of those and I dont seem to remember him complaining about it
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigLion View Post
      Was thinking about getting a proper car polisher (electric rotary, you know the type...)

I read some posts on a detailing forum where the poster was choosing the speed of the polisher - are there machines out there where you can select the RPM, or is it kind of an estimate?

Any ideas where I could pick up a pro-quality polisher in the UAE?
      what they are using is either a normal grinder with a polishing pad ( which has the option of changing the rotation speed, Makita have these) or a professional buffer the same as meguiars have. go to meguiars.com and you can see their buffer. difference between buffer and normal grinder is that the buffer doesnt turn on the center of the pad. what I mean is that the buffer works in a dual action this is why they called DA polisher
      Last edited by amansour; 01-03-2011, 01:11 PM.
      sigpic

My signature photo says it all!!!

Comment

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-dua...sher-g110.html here you go
        sigpic

Comment

BTW, i bought a Black&Decker buffer from carrefour for around 250AEd and it seems to work fine, it you want to DIY your can. it doesnt work for a detailing shop, but it is good for personal use, it has no speed control
          sigpic

Comment

Ace hardware should be your friend, pathfinder gets his stuff from them and always appreciates..

Comment

Originally posted by amansour View Post
              BTW, i bought a Black&Decker buffer from carrefour for around 250AEd and it seems to work fine, it you want to DIY your can. it doesnt work for a detailing shop, but it is good for personal use, it has no speed control

That was what concerned me - I'm not sure I could guess how fast the pad was turning and if it gets too fast/ hot it could put a nasty swirl in the paint - I know this from past experience with my E46 :(

Good point about the 'dual action' - I guess the pad is positioned 'eccentrically' to spin in an elipse shape pattern. Will be going to ACE h/w tomorrow so will take a look then - I will be looking at the Maguiars' products in case they have clay - FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by BigLion View Post
                That was what concerned me - I'm not sure I could guess how fast the pad was turning and if it gets too fast/ hot it could put a nasty swirl in the paint - I know this from past experience with my E46 :(

Good point about the 'dual action' - I guess the pad is positioned 'eccentrically' to spin in an elipse shape pattern. Will be going to ACE h/w tomorrow so will take a look then - I will be looking at the Maguiars' products in case they have clay - FTW!
                Ace hardware have the same one i got from carrefour. They do have the meguiars clay kit which comes with the fast detailing liquid and a microfiber cloth, with a sample of their carnauba wax, it is around 150 AED.
                If you want to buy a dual action buffer, you have to get something powerful. Most of dual action buffers i tried have lack of torque, when you press it against your car body it stops turning and it only shakes. Meguiars claim that their dual action buffer has much higher torque and you won't face this issue.

If you want to make your life easier, get a grinder with speed control, as I could see most professionals use grinders as it is faster in getting the desired results, but it has to be used properly or it will damage the paint easier than a dual action.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by amansour View Post

I got one of these today -one of our Docs was having a house sale.. a little reluctant to 'put polishing pad to paint' in case I somehow muller it, but will keep you guys posted.. I bought the Swirl-X but you can't use that by hand so here goes!

Comment

lol mate, how did you go with that black n deckker piece of sheit.. (i bought one too, its atrocious) .. how did the swirl X go mate?
                    Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Cyclo or a Porter Cable DA Polisher

You would need to get a Dual Action Polisher. Either Porter Cable or Cyclo (Its a Tank and will last). Both available on Desert Cart.

You would need to buy the various pads as well.

Awaiting mine to be delivered.

Comment

Working...
                      X