Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Cleaning a leaked rearview mirror

Hi guys, I'm proud to share with you my achievement! :D
    I was able to clean my leaked rearview mirror by myself and I can tell you something, if I was able to do it, anybody can do it! :)
    We are lucky to have Ayman, Shack X and Bruno willing to help us so if you are not in a rush as I was yesterday, let someone experienced do this for you! for the others one, here you have my experience:

Step 1- The first step is to remove the mirror (Use an screwdriver to separate the plastics covering the plug)

Step 2 - Remove the plastic covers

Step 3 - Disconnect the electrical plug

Step 4 - Remove the mirror from the windshield (you will need to do some pressure)

Step 5 - Carefully disassemble the mirror (it has some plastic brackets that comes out pressing in the front part)

after doing this you will get the mirror (mirror + a glued glass on top)

Step 6 - Remove the metallic connectors (you will not need them anymore because they are used by the auto-dimming feature that you will lose)

Step 7 - Separate the mirror from the glass (use a blade - 20aed in pharmacies)

Be careful using the blade, not like me! :)

You will get this:

Step 8 – Now you can clean the lovely juice (Be aware, this liquid is toxic and corrosive)

I have found other post advising to use brake parts cleaners, I've bought it and after applying it 5 times without results I start trying everything that I have at home after I realize that Oven Cleaner remove this sh...t immediately so save yourself time and money and try it first.

Step 9 – Reassembly the mirror in reverse order

This is the final result:

A rearview mirror looking brand new without the auto-dimming feature (but you can see the Boxters behind you moving away:) )

Shak and Ehssan had already done this before, this is just another thread added for our DIY fans..

Well done and thx for sharing..

Comment

Sorry SSence if it is a re-post, I was trying to find it here but I couldn’t.

Comment

cant see the pics!!! :(

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
        E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Using a VPN you can see the pics (in this and other sites), it looks like imageshack is blocked! :(

Comment

Sites are never blocked in Jordan yet imageshack is... Weird!!!
            sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Bumping another old thread. Step 2 is where one normally breaks one or 2 of the small clips. You lose autodimming functionality as well, however it looks a sight better once cleaned.
              Life is a journey. Enjoy the ride. Enjoy it in a BMW.

Comment

Working...
              X