Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTENTION: E70 X5 owners, High Battery Drain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTENTION: E70 X5 owners, High Battery Drain.

Dear E70 X5 owners,

Seeing an increased number of E70 X5s pull into the shop with frequently failing batteries is now becoming a trend and made us at Das Autoworks research the matter further. It appears that it is a BMW factory default and has been tackled by US and European dealers by offering their customers battery tenders to keep their X5s charged over-night. Ridiculous, to say the least.

The problem is diagnosed and termed "High Battery Drain" and there are service/warning bulletins from BMW AG regarding that issue. It is caused by the multiple car modules not going into sleep mode once the car is turned off. Dealers will initially blame it on your driving style being comprised of "short and insufficient mileage drives", BS! Our dealer(s) haven't heard of the problem considering the amount of batteries replaced on individual X5s that we had to work on.

Solution?

In one of the severe cases we worked on, 5 modules would "stay up" and drain the battery over some period of time. According to the service bulletin, the body harness had to be checked for "crimping faults" in some of the E70 batches, monitoring of modules activity over a period of time simulating driving and end-of-day conditions while taking note of voltage drop vaules. Through "Energy Diagnosis", an update is sometimes able to lower the number of modules staying up after the car is switched off and the problem is solved. But in most cases, you can cure a few of the modules with no chance of curing the problem a 100%.

So, if your E70 X5 is suffering from this issue, don't expect the dealer to have a clue about the condition. Claim your rights and ask them to research the "High Battery Drain" bulletin and get back to you. If all fails, I'll be glad to offer an "Energy Diagnosis" and see what can be done.

Please update this thread with similar cases.

Considering this problem, how long will a battery survive in the E70 X5s ? Months or years ?

Comment

I have a 2011 X5 does this apply to my car as well?
      I think in the facelift models they fix every thing.
      335i (Dual Clutch Transmission)-BMW Performance Exhaust- JB 4 -Stage 2 aFe Dual Cone Intakes-aFe air scoops-M tech kit-19" M Rims Painted Gunmetal-Michelin PS2
      White Angel Eyes-Carbon Fiber Mirror caps-BMW Performance High Speed Fan (850watts)-BMW Performance Diffuser-BMW Performance Stripes

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
        Considering this problem, how long will a battery survive in the E70 X5s ? Months or years ?
        One example we've had had to replace 2 batteries in 5 months.

Originally posted by mn07 View Post
        I have a 2011 X5 does this apply to my car as well?
        I think in the facelift models they fix every thing.
        From what I've come across, it's still not fixed. What's your mileage? Any battery replacements?

Comment

No every things seems fine.
          around 7000KM. We have it for 4-5 months
          335i (Dual Clutch Transmission)-BMW Performance Exhaust- JB 4 -Stage 2 aFe Dual Cone Intakes-aFe air scoops-M tech kit-19" M Rims Painted Gunmetal-Michelin PS2
          White Angel Eyes-Carbon Fiber Mirror caps-BMW Performance High Speed Fan (850watts)-BMW Performance Diffuser-BMW Performance Stripes

Comment

the car that you had in your shop was not the facelift e70... double check which year it was.

Comment

My friend has a 09 x5 and he changed 3 batteries in one year. He thinks its normal :slap:

I will direct him to DAS
              07 E64 650i Silver

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                the car that you had in your shop was not the facelift e70... double check which year it was.
                Even facelift E70's have it, got another one last week.

Comment

my brother in law had an X5 M 2011 and done till now around 27000Km and no issue

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                  E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                    Even facelift E70's have it, got another one last week.
                    what X5s were they?
                    V8 or the 6 cylinder

Comment

Both.

Comment

Another one rolled in today with the same issue....

Comment

Getting the same message on my E60 07, started after driving in rain.
                          1st day entered the car and it seemed the sound system is still running, excessive battery drainage message on iDrive, no issue in starting, then drove it and no message at end of day 1.
                          No message on beginning of day 2, day 2 evening switched off the ignition was sitting in car with stereo on and everything electronic went off in 10 mins and message popped up again, no issues in starting so far.

Any ideas?

Comment

I have the same issue with my 2006 bmw 650 i convertable. put in a new gel based 2 year warranty battery last week, and all error lights went off for 1 week. however, yestaerday the passenger airbag sensor light, the sos system malfunction lights came on, and this morning after parking the car the whole night, the high battery drain light came on. my old battery was completely dead after parking it for 2 weeks, so i replaced it with this new one. i caleed 800 battery and they came to check it and stated that the battery is fine at aboput 980 ampsand the alternator is charging well. when i drive the car for aboout 20 minutes, then restart it, the high battery drain sign does go away. what could this be. also, sometimes i notice that the radio cuts off intermittently.

Comment

what was the last thing you've done to your car? it looks like a combination of things acting up all at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X