E36 M3 brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 M3 brakes

Some of you may have read, I am the proud owner of the blue 94 m3, that Franz and then Hassan have owned in the past. This was a car from japan, and modded for track use.

The car has carbotech pads, and OEM rotors front and back replaced by Ayham by the previous owner, not Hasan. I believe that Franz changed the brakelines to stainless steel as well.

My issue is that the pedal has to travel 1"-1.5" (25mm - 33mm) before the brakes engage, and then another 1" for them to bite as a BMW brake should, don't get me wrong it does stop, but the pedal needs to travel quite a bit before, and brake pressure does not seem progressive. I have driven a 1991 7 series before, owned by my family, and the brakes were amazing on it.

I would like to know what other e36 m3 owners are experiencing with their brakes as well, been reading on forums, and could be the MC or booster being worn, as it is now 96,000kms old and used a little on the track. But maybe this is a e36 thing?

Cheers,
    Last edited by vanhack; 23-06-2012, 02:50 PM.
    '94 Avus Blue e36 m3
    2007 LWB Prado. 2" IVD lift.GPS 276C.Bashplate.Rear Pintle Hook

Might need brake bleeding ? ( Just guessing )
    sigpic
    07' HFP Accord | Current
    HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Looks like the master cylinder is weak. Pass by for a looksee

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
        Looks like the master cylinder is weak. Pass by for a looksee
        I was afraid you would say that, found the price of one from Nabaa, that has to be shipped. Quoted AED2400.00.....so going to try and eliminate all other possibilities.
        '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Yeah, them parts for the E36 ain't cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
            Yeah, them parts for the E36 ain't cheap.
            I have put a little away each month for parts....and also for speeding fines :)
            '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

dude bleed your brakes...

Comment

If its the master cylinder, upgrade it from a 750....must be plenty of those in the breakers, or check for a rebuild kit and get a reputable garage to rebuild and install :)
                sigpic

2014 - M6 Gran Coupe

Comment

Off Topic:

Are you the guy who parks your car below Spinneys in MotorCity sometimes? If yes, I have seen your car a few times.
                  1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
                  2012 Camaro SS
                  2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab: 6" lift,
                  2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Originally posted by yorky500 View Post
                    Off Topic:

Are you the guy who parks your car below Spinneys in MotorCity sometimes? If yes, I have seen your car a few times.
                    I don't think it is me, as I do frequent Spinneys, but only got the car last Thursday night. The car you are talking about must be in the basement parking, must try to get in touch with the owner.

I think bleeding the brakes is the first step.....need to get a floor jack and jack stands....don't have the owners manual, where are the jacking points on the e36, website reference anyone?
                    '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

:banghead: bend over and see it.. it's obvious

:P

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                        :banghead: bend over and see it.. it's obvious

:P
                        Thanks for the help, glad you are here.
                        '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Originally posted by vanhack View Post
                          I don't think it is me, as I do frequent Spinneys, but only got the car last Thursday night. The car you are talking about must be in the basement parking, must try to get in touch with the owner.
                          Sorry, I thought I had seen your blue M3 there. Which car are you talking about?
                          1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
                          2012 Camaro SS
                          2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Yorky, I think we are on 2 difference conversations here, I am only referring to my car. I assumed that the car that you saw below spinneys in motorcity, must be in the basement parking?

Do you live in that area, Mosquito Land....hate the Motorcity road rattles my teeth.
                            '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Originally posted by vanhack View Post
                              Yorky, I think we are on 2 difference conversations here, I am only referring to my car. I assumed that the car that you saw below spinneys in motorcity, must be in the basement parking?

Do you live in that area, Mosquito Land....hate the Motorcity road rattles my teeth.
                              Sorry. I have seen a blue E36 M3 parking downstairs in Motorcity (below Spinneys, next to lifts) a number of times and when I saw you had a blue E36 M3 I thought it might be you (plus you live in Sports City which is in spitting distance).

yes, i live in Motorcity and have done so for coming up to 3 years now. Love the place.
                              2012 Camaro SS
                              2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Working...
                              X