Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do these spark plugs say?

Hi all,

I am in the midst of replacing my valve cover gasket and have got as far as removing the plugs from the e36 m3. I just got the car a month ago, and only history of change of plugs is around 22,500 miles or 36,000kms.

See below pics of all 6 plugs, plug 2 & 4 had around 8-10 drops of oil on the outside, plugs were dry on the electrodes.

Do I need to change them, as plugs are supposed to be changed every 100,000kms if I am not mistaken, and what do these plugs say, seems to me "Dry Fouling" as per internet sites on reading plugs, but I am not an expert.

Last edited by vanhack; 02-08-2012, 12:05 AM.
    '94 Avus Blue e36 m3
    2007 LWB Prado. 2" IVD lift.GPS 276C.Bashplate.Rear Pintle Hook

1. There are only some types of iridium plugs which should be changed every 50-60k km. (Denso for instance)
    2. The regular plugs should be changed every 20-40k (depends on petrol quality).

I'd better prefer to change yours. You can only guess when they were changed last time. Also keep in your mind that bad plugs will affect ignition coils.

Comment

Originally posted by insatiable13 View Post
      1. There are only some types of iridium plugs which should be changed every 50-60k km. (Denso for instance)
      2. The regular plugs should be changed every 20-40k (depends on petrol quality).

I'd better prefer to change yours. You can only guess when they were changed last time. Also keep in your mind that bad plugs will affect ignition coils.

Thanks for the advice, bought some from Central Motors (bosch agent), almost half the price as AGMC!
      '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Plugs look fine albeit some carbon residue, my advice is get your injectors removed and cleaned. And replace the fuel filter while your at it, its cheap. And the oil is from the plug compartment gaskets, nothing new.
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
          Plugs look fine albeit some carbon residue, my advice is get your injectors removed and cleaned. And replace the fuel filter while your at it, its cheap. And the oil is from the plug compartment gaskets, nothing new.
          hmmmmm, I am due to look at the injectors soon. When changing the plugs, very little oil on top of the plugs, only plug 2 and 4 had any at all.

Any tests for injectors i can do, i will be getting the BMW diagnostic software soon from bmtechnic.co.uk and also the correct cable for 20 pin (OBD I)
          '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Pass by we can do a quick injectors test using Autologic. Also, looks like your VCG needs to be replaced, or at least thr spark plugs profile gasket. Ofcourse this is because you said there was oil on the plugs body (white).

Comment

Ayhan, I changed the VCG with a new one, and also the gaskets around the plugs. Interesting that the TIS manual does not request to add Silicone RTV gasket sealer to the half moons and to the sides of the vanos area.....but I did anyway for added security. Euro spec VCG has 20 bolts in total, compared to the US spec's 15 bolts. I managed to goof up and order the US spec gasket initially and had to get the Euro spec gasket locally. So if anyone wants a US spec VCG gasket at cost minus shipping, drop me a PM. The VGC was replaced in jan 2012 I noticed from the invoices given to me, and showed signs of leaks around the places that US spec engines request to add the RTV gasket sealer. Good range of sealers from speedex currently, including a sensor safe version as well. :starwars:

Just ordered this software http://bmtechnic.co.uk/unique-features-of-our-cables/ and related cable, need to get a laptop with serial port now, unless the wife let's me use her work one, which has it....but I doubt she will understand, maybe I can get our son to convince her :)

Anyhow hoping one of the software's on that CD has a ignition test. I also changed front discs, pads and refurbed the calipers with all new rubber parts.....man bleeding these brakes is not easy, calipers seem to trap a lot of bubbles. Used Bosch brake fluid which has a dry temperature rating of 285 and wet of 165, will see if it holds up on the track in September, as it is only AED22 per 500ml, found Motul 660 for AED80 in SHJ at lap57 garage. Great service from Autowerks of KSA for getting me the pads, Marwan is very helpful.

Need to now work on the interior, reading that the interiors on the e36 are not of the best build quality and already have broken a couple of plastic strips on the door cards, and also get the rear right bearing changed.....so will see you soon for that Ayhan.
              '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

James never drove that car :(

I have a laptop with a serial port at the shop so you're welcome to try it. I also have the chip reader if ever needed. And bleeding any brake system is a 2-man job!!! Bottle bleeder or not!

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post

I have a laptop with a serial port at the shop so you're welcome to try it. I also have the chip reader if ever needed. And bleeding any brake system is a 2-man job!!! Bottle bleeder or not!
                  Thanks Ayhan.....bleeding brakes can also be a 1 man and 1 woman job. ;)
                  '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post

Thanks Ayhan.....bleeding brakes can also be a 1 man and 1 woman job. ;)
                    '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

i think the spark plugs should be changed more frequently than 100.000 kms..they are inexpencive to replace and could save you a lot of trouble, on my e36 M3 , i would say i change them every 20,000 kms max.. i am not sure if spark plugs are your issue here, i would have to agree with Ayham, check for vacum leaks, check your AFM as well among other things... i guess the best solution would be to meet Ayham and diagnose the car, he has been servicing mine for a long time now and i am very satisfied..he has done plenty of e36 M3s, even modded some ;)

best of luck sir, and post some pics, the e36 M3s are becoming rare these days :)
                      sigpic
                      2002 1975 white
                      E9 3.0 1975 green
                      E12 528 1980 white
                      E21 315 1982 red first owner
                      E21 320 1979 yellow
                      E23 745i 1982 red
                      E23 733i 1979 white
                      E24 635csi 1989 blue
                      E34 M5 3.8 1993 red
                      E36 M3 Cabrio 1995 dakkar yellow
                      E46 M3 Cabrio 2003 silver

All current rides, yet few missing, more to come :bmwfan:

Comment

Thanks for the tips, i plan to look at the AFM and give it a good clean with MAF cleaner. Sparks already changed as suggested by 2 other forums, car is running a little smoother, and less petrol smell upon startup now. Bought Bosch plugs, same as the factory ones.
                        '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner, some weird bolts on the MAF, will change those to normal hex or phillips screw when I am near a bolt hardware shop. Not much difference in performance, but no petrol smell on startup at all! :)
                          '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

sounds like your happily plotting along mate, when is that track day?
                            :)
                            Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Originally posted by Vanne View Post
                              sounds like your happily plotting along mate, when is that track day?
                              :)
                              Hi Mate, well this Ramadan, I thought it would be a good idea to change the seals on the vanos, using a Besian Kit from the us.....cut a long story short, I messed up the helical gearset shaft, basically the gear that causes the cams to retard/advance! So as this part is mega expensive, around USD1000.00 from BMW, I had to wait for fleabay to come up with a used one, did get one fairly quickly, but I have just received it, after I bought it in mid July! This is due to it coming along as luggage with my parents.

Also the besian kit is not complete for the 3.0 Vanos, and had to source some seals locally, which was not difficult, but typical Dubai issue of staffing not knowing their product, but all sorted now.

I also seem to have very spongy brakes, after the calipers have been re-hauled, and using brass caliper sliders instead of the OEM rubber ones, I suspect the seals on my master cylinder are failing....but I can not check until I can have the engine running, which means I need to rebuild the vanos and make sure that the timing is good, before the valves......

Track day.....that is a dream at the moment, but having more fun repairing the car, and I have a new toy, a Y61 patrol, and enjoying the desert these days with the family.....look forward to the good weather for both the cars now. :)
                              '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Working...
                              X