Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice for an E30 Project

Dear fellow members and E30 afficionados

I am new to the BMW world and I am just about to finalize the purchase of a decent shape E30, which I would like to modernize for performance and driving pleasure/comfort. This car has always been a favorite of mine given its compact size and beautiful classic lines. Here is what I am looking at:

Engine : I would welcome any suggestions/past experiences for a newer engine swap (BMW only). Any other ideas to improve the 325i engine are also welcome!

Suspension: I would like to give it a stance (minus 60 in the front and minus 40 in the back). I am considering H&R coil overs (mainly because of the adjustability factor) but would welcome any comments on them or even other alternatives to coilovers such as lowered springs etc...

Exhaust: I would like to put a performance exhaust, but nothing that is too loud. Any suggestions?

Finally, any addresses for purchase/fitment of these items in Dubai would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Hi

This is a very cool project you are thinking of.

I would do the following.

Engine: S85 V10 or S65 V8
    Transmission: SMGIII or DCT
    Suspension: Any coilovers + A sack of gravel in the boot to even out the weight distribution.
    Exhaust: Would need to be a customs exhaust.

There will be loads of challenges but it is possible.

Most of the parts you can get from the car breakers in Sharjah. I would also expect that a lot of custom parts will need be fabricated as well.

As for the workshop, you will need to do a lot of research and go and meet all the shop owners before you can take a decision.

Good Luck!
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Hello [MENTION=188841]E30 Project[/MENTION] and welcome to the BMW Club UAE.

Lovely and respectable car to play around with and implement your tasteful mods, we have some members in the club that have done the same, maybe they can provide their input since they have gone through it.

I recently purchased an E30 and plan on doing the same, but my project will be on the budget (won't be going too wild). Is the car manual? if so that resolve some of your issues. Depending how wild you go with the project, you might need some connection to register the car, as RTA are being strict with any visible mods done to the car.

Hopefully my car will be done before the drive on the 28th, and the other E30 project car(s) will attend, maybe you can attend to better decide on you project.

Either way keep us updated on whatever you decide on!
      - E82, 1M - Current
      • Akrapovic Exhaust • BMW Performance Seats • BMW Performance Steering Wheel
      - E30, 316 Touring - Current
      • BBS Rims • Eibach Lowering Springs • Some Engine Modifications
      - Nissan Xterra - Off Road - Current
      E36, 318 Touring Sold
      E36, M3 Evo Sold

Facebook Instagram SnapChat

Click HERE to get your BMW ///M Bracelets from BMW Club UAE

Comment

Keep it as is. Worse comes worse turbo that m20 or drop in a m52

Comment

Originally posted by S.BAKI View Post
          Hello [MENTION=188841]E30 Project[/MENTION] and welcome to the BMW Club UAE.

Lovely and respectable car to play around with and implement your tasteful mods, we have some members in the club that have done the same, maybe they can provide their input since they have gone through it.

I recently purchased an E30 and plan on doing the same, but my project will be on the budget (won't be going too wild). Is the car manual? if so that resolve some of your issues. Depending how wild you go with the project, you might need some connection to register the car, as RTA are being strict with any visible mods done to the car.

Hopefully my car will be done before the drive on the 28th, and the other E30 project car(s) will attend, maybe you can attend to better decide on you project.

Either way keep us updated on whatever you decide on!
          Thanks for the reply. I am aiming to get the car ready for that drive, but it will be difficult to achieve. Good luck on your project also!

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
          Hi

This is a very cool project you are thinking of.

I would do the following.

Engine: S85 V10 or S65 V8
          Transmission: SMGIII or DCT
          Suspension: Any coilovers + A sack of gravel in the boot to even out the weight distribution.
          Exhaust: Would need to be a customs exhaust.

There will be loads of challenges but it is possible.

Most of the parts you can get from the car breakers in Sharjah. I would also expect that a lot of custom parts will need be fabricated as well.

As for the workshop, you will need to do a lot of research and go and meet all the shop owners before you can take a decision.

Good Luck!
          Thanks for the input!

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for the advice, there is indeed value in keeping the car as close as possible to stock... Something to consider. Thanks for the input.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
          Keep it as is. Worse comes worse turbo that m20 or drop in a m52
          Thanks for the advice, there is indeed value in keeping the car as close as possible to stock... Something to consider. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I built several e30's and the best site for information is e30zone in the uk and rev3 in the us

Engine I would go for an m52, and use e36 compact stuff for a five stud conversion and bigger brakes

Comment

well.. lets start.. Welcome abroad!! We need pics, loads of em :P... Get a thread in the introduction section to get to know you and the car better. There are many e30 maniacs around this forum, so please join on the drives (I would love to see more e30s around :P)

If you are looking for some parts, I saw some good parts at Kinetechnic, and they can help on ordering parts, suspension, engine, exhaust.

M20: If you are planning to get decent power from an NA engine (I hate FIs) you can look into building an M20 engine, by swaping an 885 m20 head on a 2.7 eta block with a M50b28 forged camshaft, 2.7 eta rods and 2.5 2.7 pistons, eta injectos, decent headers and big *** camshaft (272 or 288 or welding amd regrinding the camshaft somewhere if you find it in here). This will give you an outstanding performance, however you need to check with RTA as you are aware, the engine emissions wont be eco friendly

M50b25 Non Vanos: Out of an E36 / E34, but you will need to use an E34 oil sump in any case to achieve proper ground clearance, cooling, etc... You can also stroke it using an M54b30, and you can see some good horsies numbers.
              sigpic

Jerez Black 2008 E92 M3 - The beast unleashed

History:
              Black 2005 E46 330ci Mtech2
              Silver 2003 E46 330i Mtech2
              Black 2002 E46 320i Mtech2
              Black 1986 E28 535i
              Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
              Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
              Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

Comment

Originally posted by e21jason View Post
                I built several e30's and the best site for information is e30zone in the uk and rev3 in the us

Engine I would go for an m52, and use e36 compact stuff for a five stud conversion and bigger brakes
                Thanks. Saw these forums, very helpful. Lots of good info.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Makaveli7 View Post
                well.. lets start.. Welcome abroad!! We need pics, loads of em :P... Get a thread in the introduction section to get to know you and the car better. There are many e30 maniacs around this forum, so please join on the drives (I would love to see more e30s around :P)

If you are looking for some parts, I saw some good parts at Kinetechnic, and they can help on ordering parts, suspension, engine, exhaust.

M20: If you are planning to get decent power from an NA engine (I hate FIs) you can look into building an M20 engine, by swaping an 885 m20 head on a 2.7 eta block with a M50b28 forged camshaft, 2.7 eta rods and 2.5 2.7 pistons, eta injectos, decent headers and big *** camshaft (272 or 288 or welding amd regrinding the camshaft somewhere if you find it in here). This will give you an outstanding performance, however you need to check with RTA as you are aware, the engine emissions wont be eco friendly

M50b25 Non Vanos: Out of an E36 / E34, but you will need to use an E34 oil sump in any case to achieve proper ground clearance, cooling, etc... You can also stroke it using an M54b30, and you can see some good horsies numbers.
                Thanks. Will post pics soon. Decide to keep engine as is for now, but put in performance exhaust. Car is not yet ready, will post pics as soon as completed. Look forward to participating in these drives.

Comment

Will the are be ready for the 28th of March???
                  - E82, 1M - Current
                  • Akrapovic Exhaust • BMW Performance Seats • BMW Performance Steering Wheel
                  - E30, 316 Touring - Current
                  • BBS Rims • Eibach Lowering Springs • Some Engine Modifications
                  - Nissan Xterra - Off Road - Current
                  E36, 318 Touring Sold
                  E36, M3 Evo Sold

Facebook Instagram SnapChat

Click HERE to get your BMW ///M Bracelets from BMW Club UAE

Comment

The E30 project is 95% complete, but I have run into a problem and need some help. RTA does not want to register the car as we cannot find the chassis number on the car. There is a small plate in the engine bay on the inside of the left hand side quarter panel, but it only displays the last 7 numbers of the VIN. The RTA wants to see the 17 letters/numbers as they appear on the previous owner's registration card. Do you know where else I could find the chassis number? If it has been removed, do you have any other ideas on how to proceed? Thanks, any advice will be appreciated!

Comment

The chasis number is located between the glass and engine ..

- - - - - - - - - -

You should be able to see something like this...

sigpic

History:
                      Black 1986 E28 535i
                      Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
                      Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
                      Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

Comment

Thanks - I had seen this picture, and we had scraped the paint in this area to see whether the number was there, but unfortunately not. Thanks for the help. We will go to RTA again tomorrow and speak to the managers, hopefully that will work. THanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Comment

O shoot :S - let us updated!
                          sigpic

History:
                          Black 1986 E28 535i
                          Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
                          Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
                          Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

Comment

use some sort of paint remover to remove the paint and filler

Comment

Pictures! :)
                              Current
                              E92 M3 - Mineral White
                              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                              E36 318is
                              E39 540i ///M sport
                              VW CC
                              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...