Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 ///M GearBox issue

hi guys,

ive decided recently to change my gearbox oil cuz it have a leak and i need to fix it ..

am driving m power gear with 5 speed manual transmition

so ive gone to *shell w 90*

after filling it up the reverse gear wont work but the rest gears are working !

so contacted one of friends and advised to use *total w 140* as he used in his car ,,, ((( cause cant find the original bmw gear oil so far )))

at the end am having sound from gear and the reverse not going :(

((( sound like a supercharged gear lol )))

an mechanic said maybe a spring moved ? other says maybe the cobalt done ? and another said i dont know !!!!

i know its diffcult to decide ... and i dont want to lose it totaly any advise from these symptoms ?

all the best !

when you removed the old oil and replaced it with new oil, all the defects in your gear showed because the new oil is usually is lighter than before. i think if you put extremely heavy oil you can hide the sound. but bottom line is your gear was/is failing and now it shows it.

Comment

Mate, you MUST run the correct oil (weight and viscosity) for your gearbox. Not doing so can be extremely harmful to your box.
      Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Agree Vane, for the m3 e36, i bought the last oil they had for the e36 M, when i was doing the swap. Your best bet is to contact abu dhabi motors and see if they have some. aGMC didnt have any more when i got the last batch.

Is you gearbox a ZF or Getrag? If Getrag you can find them plenty in sharjah. If ZF then its a little more difficult, but you can get one on a 330 e46 2000 model ( its the same one as the M3 e36) , they are about 1500-2000 aed.

Let me know if you need anymore help
        sigpic
        Current
        E92 M3 2011
        # White Angel Eyes # Carbon fibre Roof # Silverstone II Metallic with Full extended Red Interior
        # H&R sport springs #19' APEX ACR-8 rims with P-zero tyres # Bimmertech Tv system
        # Full IPE F1 Exhaust system all sections , with GINTANI burble tune

Previous
        E36 M3 Evo Convertible 'me Jane'
        # Manual 5 speed with Auto LSD 3.38 with Individual Magma Interior # BBS LMs 18 Rims with Chrome Lip
        # UUC shortshifter & UUC aluminium Flywheel and E39 M5 clutch Kit # Long Beach Blue Metallic

E60 M5 'me Julie'
        # Eisennmann Race Exhaust # Updated Rear Lights

Comment

Working...
        X