Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Comprehensive S85 Rod Bearing Replacement Thread

Hello Everyone!

So, I finally got to getting the rod bearing job done.

The engine has done 75,000 kms with oil changes every 5,000 kms.

I got the new OEM 702/703 bearings and got them WPC treated, and the ARP rod bolts.

The top and bottom shell are different and are marked with different colors.

For the job the engine had to be hanged up and the sub frame needed to be removed.

Oil pan off.

Oil pump

Oil lines and pump off.

Bottom end.

This is what came out.

As you can see the connecting rods are cast out of a single piece of metal and then precision broken. When the cap is attached, you cannot tell weather there is a separate cap on it. It is very important to make sure the caps are not interchanged between the rods. It is best to do it one bearing at a time.

New bearings in with ARP bolts.

Oil pan back on with magnetic drain plugs.

Aligning and setting the oil pump is very critical and needs to be done very carefully. It is best to follow the procedure in the TIS.

Needless to say, everything needs to be torqued to spec.

Below is the list of parts that I changed.

07 11 9 904 036 Hex Nut 1
    4 11 41 7 837 576 Chain Tensioner 1
    5 11 41 7 837 578 Chain Tensioner 1
    6 11 41 7 835 445 Compression spring 1
    7 11 41 7 835 444 Spring Pocket 1
    8 11 12 1 304 174 O-ring 1
    9 11 41 7 834 270 Gasket 1
    10 07 11 9 963 129 Gasket ring 8
    11 07 11 9 905 485 Hex bolt wit 23
    12 07 12 9 905 488 Isa screw 2
    13 07 12 9 905 600 Screw 2
    15 12 61 1 744 292 Gasket Ring 1
    16 11 41 7 836 233 Gasket 2
    17 11 36 7 838 669 Pressure Hos 1
    18 11 13 7 836 361 Gasket Steel 1

Oceans of gratitude to Octane garage for an awesome job.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

I have used the 5W-30 oil for the first 1000 kms, to run in the new bearings.

Changed the oil with 5W-50 after the first 1000. Not going back to the 10W-60.
    sigpic

Comment

Why the change in oil consistency? isnt 10w60 the recommended oil grade by the manufacturer....
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

You can see what the manufacturers recommendation has done to the bearings. Basically the clearance on the bearings is not enough for the 10W-60 to flow properly.

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
        Why the change in oil consistency? isnt 10w60 the recommended oil grade by the manufacturer....
        sigpic

Comment

Mate, excellent post and nods to the Shak for doing a great job. I'll have to visit him soon and get the same done to my S54. Looking at your old bearings, what did your oil analysis have to say?

Boy, that sure needed to be done. ;-)
          Last edited by Vanne; 27-12-2014, 05:42 PM.
          Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Didn't get the time to get the oil analysis done.
            sigpic

Comment

Great post mate. This is a job I'll do in few Ks.

Can you explain a bit more why you went for 10w50 ?
              Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
              Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
              Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
              Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
              1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
              Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
              eMail:
              Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Thanks Rifo. Appreciate your kind words.

I have switched to 5W-50, because it has better flow at cold temps compared to the 10W-60. Below is a table of the main specs for all Castrol oils.

As you can see, the %w-50 flows much better at cold temps and has almost the same properties at operating temps as the 10W-60.

In addition, 5W-50 is the OEM recommendation for the LFA and Koenigsegg.

What year is your M3 and what is the mileage on it?
                sigpic

Comment

Regarding the oil, even if it has better flow and lower viscosity that doesn't mean you're actually doing the engine any good. Yes you might save your engine from having oil starvation at hard track days on corners, but the TWS was designed to match the metals in BMW N/A engines (S54, S62, S65, S85...) I don't actually suggest you changing the oil, that's just my 0.2$

Coming back to my M3, it's production date is 03.2008. S65s had a recall on their Rod Bearing Assembly, major parts were replaced with new ones and old parts were ended. The new parts came to life with M3s with production dates 10.2008 and above. People online are saying it's not a must to replace them but it is recommended if the car is driven on track or driven hard, and I do drive the car hard plus this weather doesn't make it easier for our engines.

These are the parts:

OEM factory replacement main crankshaft & bearing shell combo part#:

AT-CRANKSHAFT WITH BEARING SHELLS 1 10/2008 11217841658 ENDED

AT-CRANKSHAFT WITH BEARING SHELLS 1 (current) 11210443639

Individual main crankshaft bearing shell part numbers:

02 Bearing shell green 70,00MM Qty. 4 10/2008 11217841489 ENDED

02 Bearing shell green 70,00MM Qty. 4 (current) 11217841610

03 GUIDE-BEARING SHELL GREEN 70,00MM Qty. 1 10/2008 11217841499 ENDED

03 GUIDE-BEARING SHELL GREEN 70,00MM Qty. 1 (current) 11217841618

04 Bearing shell green 70,00MM Qty. 4 10/2008 11217841484 ENDED

04 Bearing shell green 70,00MM Qty. 4 (current) 11217841606

05 GUIDE-BEARING SHELL GREEN 70,00MM Qty. 1 10/2008 11217841494 ENDED

05 GUIDE-BEARING SHELL GREEN 70,00MM Qty. 1 (current) 11217841614

06 Bearing shell (upper), blue 53,00MM Qty. 8 11247841703 SAME

07 Bearing shell (lower), red 53,00MM Qty. 8 11247841702 SAME

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                  Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                  eMail:
                  Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Dear Rifo

Many thanks for your post. I really appreciate it.

Oil

As you very well know, the TWS is now obsolete and no longer in production. As for the metallurgical compatibility; the new bearings that you have mentioned in your post as well as the 702/703 bearings are all lead free. This happened in 2008 because of enforcement of EU directives to reduce the use of heavy metals in automotive industry. The TWS most definitely does not cater for this change. IMHO! the primary objective of the oil is to provide protection against wear, and better flow at cold temps definitely translates into better wear protection. The metallurgical compatibility, in my opinion, is a secondary objective and should not be much of an issue as I change oil every 5k kms. Have another look at the picture of my bearings again. This is after 75k kms of using Castrol 10W-60. IMHO! the clearance on the bearings and flow of oil is the main issue for these engine. If the oil is not flowing properly, the metallurgical compatibility will also not do any good. This is the thought process that lead me to the choice of oil viscosity.

Your M3

If there was a recall for the bearings, it should have been performed for your M3 as well. If not, you should be bale to get it done at AGMC. Replacing the crankshaft and bearings is a huge job. You will have to have your entire engine rebuilt. What I did on my car was the baby job compared to this.

I hope BMW have fixed the clearance with the new crankshaft. Otherwise, the risk of your rod bearings failing will still be there. The guys at M3Post have asked clevit to develop new bearings for the S65. Have a look at the below thread.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1069180
                    sigpic

Comment

Nice job but you should have waited a few more months to do the proper Clevite bearings coming out with better clearances. Did you use a stretch gauge on the ARP's or just torque them down according to ARP spec?
                      EURO 04 M3
                      Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

[MENTION=2564]Hasan Shaikh[/MENTION] My car doesn't have warranty and as you know they don't give you the car's full history printed on paper even if the owner asks for it. My car was in Bahrain, so my best bet is to call the Service Center there and ask them if this was done or not, just a matter of yes or no question I guess.

I know such a job would cost an arm and a leg but I really don't want to risk it, it is vital and crucial to actually replace the ended parts.
                        [MENTION=67]0-60[/MENTION] The car was at your home land ;)

Need Assistance?
                        eMail:
                        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

You need to wait till may or June for when the new clevite very bearings are released which will give you the proper side clearance for the crankshaft. If you aren't hearing any funny ticking sounds coming from the engine then just wait a few more months and change your oil every 7k.

Originally posted by Rifo View Post
                          [MENTION=2564]Hasan Shaikh[/MENTION] My car doesn't have warranty and as you know they don't give you the car's full history printed on paper even if the owner asks for it. My car was in Bahrain, so my best bet is to call the Service Center there and ask them if this was done or not, just a matter of yes or no question I guess.

I know such a job would cost an arm and a leg but I really don't want to risk it, it is vital and crucial to actually replace the ended parts.
                          [MENTION=67]0-60[/MENTION] The car was at your home land ;)
                          EURO 04 M3
                          Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60 View Post
                            You need to wait till may or June for when the new clevite very bearings are released which will give you the proper side clearance for the crankshaft. If you aren't hearing any funny ticking sounds coming from the engine then just wait a few more months and change your oil every 7k.
                            I'm not that much of an expert to tell if there's any weird noise coming out of the car specially when the exhaust is loud enough lol.

Need Assistance?
                            eMail:
                            Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by Rafik View Post
                              I'm not that much of an expert to tell if there's any weird noise coming out of the car specially when the exhaust is loud enough lol.
                              You'll be fine. Wait till the modified bearings are released and head over to shak to change them.
                              EURO 04 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X