No announcement yet.

The Comprehensive S85 Rod Bearing Replacement Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you sure the clevit bearings with bigger clearance are a good thing. How big is the clearance. how big the clearance should be.

We torqued the bolts to 10nm and then 60nm.

Originally posted by 0-60 View Post
    Nice job but you should have waited a few more months to do the proper Clevite bearings coming out with better clearances. Did you use a stretch gauge on the ARP's or just torque them down according to ARP spec?
    - - - - - - - - - -

The side clearance is not an issue on the S85.

The 702/703 bearings have a slightly better clearance than the 088/089 bearings.

As far as I understand, they will never disclose the clearance on the new clevit bearings.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

BMW have a universal database for service history. Any dealership should be able to give you the full service history.

When I brought my B5 from Qatar, AGMC could see all the service history of Qatar.

Originally posted by Rafik View Post
      [MENTION=2564]Hasan Shaikh[/MENTION] My car doesn't have warranty and as you know they don't give you the car's full history printed on paper even if the owner asks for it. My car was in Bahrain, so my best bet is to call the Service Center there and ask them if this was done or not, just a matter of yes or no question I guess.

I know such a job would cost an arm and a leg but I really don't want to risk it, it is vital and crucial to actually replace the ended parts.
      [MENTION=67]0-60[/MENTION] The car was at your home land ;)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
        Are you sure the clevit bearings with bigger clearance are a good thing. How big is the clearance. how big the clearance should be.

We torqued the bolts to 10nm and then 60nm.

- - - - - - - - - -

The side clearance is not an issue on the S85.

The 702/703 bearings have a slightly better clearance than the 088/089 bearings.

As far as I understand, they will never disclose the clearance on the new clevit bearings.
        All the info on the clearances is on the forums, i cant remember them off hand.
        EURO 04 M3
        Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
          BMW have a universal database for service history. Any dealership should be able to give you the full service history.

When I brought my B5 from Qatar, AGMC could see all the service history of Qatar.
          Cheers to that. Then I'll be contacting them for my service history.
          Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
          Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
          Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
          Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
          1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
          Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
          eMail:
          Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

If you are going to AGMC, talk to the service manager. The German guy. Can't remember his name, but I think it's Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Yes, there is a lot of information on the forums.

I would not base my conclusions on the assumption that BMW engineers are stupid or they made a mistake. They say, "A true enthusiast fixes it, until it is broken".

IMHO! The tight clearance is not necessarily a bad thing. Most race bred engines have tight clearances including Ferrari.

There is no information on how big the clearances will be and how it will effect the rest of the engine and the oil flow.

All the info on the clearances is on the forums, i cant remember them off hand.
            sigpic

Comment

Always had bad experience with Michael....he throws around attitude!

I'd suggest Daniel who is the service manager at AGMC Deira....go there [MENTION=2]Rafik[/MENTION]
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Will do
                Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                eMail:
                Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

I always had very good experience with Michael. Even when he was in Qatar.

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                  Always had bad experience with Michael....he throws around attitude!

I'd suggest Daniel who is the service manager at AGMC Deira....go there [MENTION=2]Rafik[/MENTION]
                  sigpic

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if they are making/developing those new bearings for the s54 also? Those tight clearances can be best solved with a higher output oil pump, but if these new bearings fix the issue, ill wait a couple of months and get this done also.
                    Those other engines like Ferrari's and such exotic machinery are good for about 100k before complete rebuild , not sure id want to chuck my car away after that many kilometers.
                    Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Clevit are not developing the new bearings for BMW. Some enthusiasts are getting the bearings manufactured by them for the S85 and S65 engines.

IMHO! The oil pump will not resolve anything. Only a lower viscosity oil will help with oil flow.

Originally posted by Vanne View Post
                      Hmm, I wonder if they are making/developing those new bearings for the s54 also? Those tight clearances can be best solved with a higher output oil pump, but if these new bearings fix the issue, ill wait a couple of months and get this done also.
                      Those other engines like Ferrari's and such exotic machinery are good for about 100k before complete rebuild , not sure id want to chuck my car away after that many kilometers.
                      sigpic

Comment

The S54's bearing issue was down to material and not really a big clearance issue. Bearings should be a 100-120k km service item any way for an S54 owner. Stick with OE S54 Bearing shells with WPC treatment and Stock bolts.
                        EURO 04 M3
                        Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

The S54's bearing issue was down to material and not really a big clearance issue. Bearings should be a 100-120k km service item any way for an S54 owner. Stick with OE S54 Bearing shells with WPC treatment and Stock bolts.
                          Just what came in the post last month :lol:

:drool:
                          Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Hasan, what were your chain guides like? And pls remind me again how many Kms were on your car when you had this done..

Think I'll need to order new chain guides too... Let's put that on the memo. :-)

Got the bolts and bearings, just need a few more things before seeing Shak.

It's gonna be a **** year, Dubai/Abu has no money, means no bonus for me next year, means no more toys for me.. :-(

Comment

Hasan, what were your chain guides like? And pls remind me again how many Kms were on your car when you had this done..

Think I'll need to order new chain guides too... Let's put that on the memo. :-)

It's gonna be a **** year, Dubai/Abu has no money, means no bonus for me next year, means no more toys for me.. :-(
                              You need upper chain guides, Beisan Vanos overhaul kit including everything they make for the S54 plus a valve adjustment while all this is being done.
                              EURO 04 M3

Comment

I got it done 75,000 kms. My chain guide was fine, no visible signs of wear. But I changed it anyway.

Which bearings and bolts did you get.

Yeah. Its tough for everyone. Good luck.

P.S: If you need help with anything, I am always happy to help.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X