Mobil1 0w40 - M3 - who has tried this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobil1 0w40 - M3 - who has tried this?

I have been reading a lot about oil, especially since it came to my attention that some S65 engines seem to get rod bearing issues at some point in their lifetime... Since I don't have any issues at this moment, and I want to try and avoid getting them as much as I can in the future, I want to start this discussion and hope to share some ideas and experiences.

With regards to the oil most people use, they go for the oil that has been recommended by BMW: TWS 10w60. However, from my understanding of oil, this oil is quite a bit thicker than for example Mobil1 0w40. The thickness makes it more difficult for the oil to get between the rod bearings, connecting rods and the connecting rod bearing caps which could result in the issues people have been having.

Upon reading this topic: Whos running Mobil1 0w-40? I'm thinking it may not actually be a bad idea to go for Mobil1 0w40. It seems there are various advantages: engine warms quicker, lubrication is better (because the oil is thinner and can reach more difficult to get to areas - which is exactly what we need for our rod bearings) and throttle response is better since the oil is thinner/lighter (less resistance). The only real problem I have is that we live in a hot desert climate and Mobil1 0w40 may offer less protection at higher temperatures... Or would it?

So, my question is: has anyone tried driving on Mobil1 0w40 in our UAE climate? What are your thoughts about this? Would you recommend it? Or do you have some strong arguments against?

Also, has anyone ever done an oil analysis - an analysis which determines which metals are present in the oil that comes out of your engine --> this could determine which parts are wearing and can 'predict' potential issues that may occur in the future..??

Thanks!
    Last edited by Froglet; 22-05-2015, 11:30 PM.
    BMW E90 M3 | Akrapovic Evolution Titanium exhaust | Dinan Air Intake | Dinan Underdrive pulley | Dinan DKG Software

This is what one guy said:

But just to guide you in the right direction, here's why I switched:
    - Car heats up quicker, always good a good thing.
    - When driven hard, it actually cools down quicker too
    - More than a few oil reports (mine included) show reduced traces of lead (i.e less bearing wear)
    - Not that it matters much, but 10 qts of M1 is a little more than $50, so much cheaper than TWS. I change at 5000 miles
    - Cars with much more performance than ours (GT2, GTR...) use M1 0W40.
    BMW E90 M3 | Akrapovic Evolution Titanium exhaust | Dinan Air Intake | Dinan Underdrive pulley | Dinan DKG Software

Comment

I use 5W-50. Make sure you warm up the car before you start pushing it.

If your car's production date is post mid 2010 your engine should not have the lead/copper bearings (088/089). The newer bearings (702/703) are tin and aluminium.
      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

My car is from 09 and I have the lead/copper bearings...

With these bearings potentially being an issue, a thinner oil would lubricate/cool everything better especially during the time that the engine is still cold. Even though I am very careful when the engine is cold, I think that however careful you are, there is always a risk...

The 5w50 you use, which brand is it? How many kms have you been driving with 5w50 oil in total? Do you find that your car runs warmer in summer months? Do you take your car to the track? Please tell us more regarding the oil you use since I am seriously considering going for one that is thinner...

Comment

Its not that the new 702/703 don't have this issue. The issue, basically, is the clearance of the bearings and not the material used. So, even with the newer bearings, the issue remains.

I use Valvoline 5W-50. This specific oil is approved by Koenigsegg. Also, 5W-50 is the OEM recommendation for the LFA. I have used this oil for about 10,000 kms now. All cars run warmer in summer months. Mine does the same. So will yours. I track my car. But, I have not tracked the car with this oil. However, I do not doubt that the oil will perform well on the track. The 5W-50 flows much better than the 10W-60 at cold temps, but has almost the same viscosity at operating temps.

Going with a thinner oil will definitely help the bearings. How thinner you want to go is up to you. However, no matter how thin the oil, you will still need to warm up the engine to get proper oil flow.

A lot of people prefer not to go with a thinner oil and just change the bearings every 80k to 100k kms.

- - - - - - - - - -

Sorry, I have done an auto x with this oil. Had no issues. Steady oil temps.
          sigpic

Comment

Also, Rafik does not agree with me on certain points. So, you should wait for his opinion as well.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Hasan, this is some really valuable information. You drive with the Valvoline VR1 5w50?

Look forward to RAFiK's input and others.

Comment

10w60 is the right oil and this is what i used on mine last year

Comment

I would tend to stick with manufacturer's recommendations because the engineers in BMW must have spent enough time researching on the various oil gradients and finally recommending the one that is optimal for the operating scenario/conditions of the engine. Im sure they have a valid reason as to why 10w60 is recommended over 0w40.

BMW spend millions on R&D and i doubt any normal individual would have the equipment and the technical know-how on researching the various gradients and its effects to make an informed judgement that supersedes the manufacturer recommendation.

thats just my viewpoint though...
                  Current
                  E92 M3 - Mineral White
                  F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                  E36 318is
                  E39 540i ///M sport
                  VW CC
                  E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

If BMW specifies TWS, then it is for a good reason. The Castrol TWS was specified for M engines for it's relative contact with metals like lead/copper/aluminum. It holds much longer than any other oil before it actually drops dead in the block. You don't want to start your engine and scratch few bearings before actually having the oil circulating.

The best oil that could be used for an M engine is this, Period.

Is it more expensive than Mobil or Valvoline? Yes BUT the extra penny you're paying might save a bearing.

PDF: http://www.lindvigs.com/obioban/BMWEngineOils.pdf

This PDF states the following:

-- Superior thermal stability
                    The synthetic based oil resists thickening at very low ambient temperatures providing improvedflow, lubrication and less internal engine resistance during cold starts.Under high heat conditions, the oil resists thermal breakdown/shearing which causes a loss oflubrication quality with conventional oils.Using BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil eliminates the need for seasonal oil changes sinceit covers all ambient temperature ranges.

This post here might be the light at the end of the tunnel you are in:
                    BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) - View Single Post - The definitive Castrol TWS 10W-60 thread
                    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                    eMail:
                    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Shell Helix 10W60
                      EURO 04 M3
                      Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60 View Post
                        Shell Helix 10W60
                        Explain more please
                        Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                        Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                        Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                        Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                        1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                        eMail:
                        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by RAFiK View Post
                          Explain more please
                          Well Ferrari use Shell Helix 10w60 and since BMW has switched over to Shell as the official Oil Supplier now I am going to try the Shell in my M3. Dont forget the Ferraris also rev to or past 8k rpm's so you should be fine with this.

Plus for the E9X M3 I think they recommend switching to 0W40? I cant remember exactly.
                          EURO 04 M3
                          Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

Originally posted by RAFiK View Post
                            If BMW specifies TWS, then it is for a good reason. The Castrol TWS was specified for M engines for it's relative contact with metals like lead/copper/aluminum. It holds much longer than any other oil before it actually drops dead in the block. You don't want to start your engine and scratch few bearings before actually having the oil circulating.

The best oil that could be used for an M engine is this, Period.

Is it more expensive than Mobil or Valvoline? Yes BUT the extra penny you're paying might save a bearing.

PDF: http://www.lindvigs.com/obioban/BMWEngineOils.pdf

This PDF states the following:

-- Superior thermal stability
                            The synthetic based oil resists thickening at very low ambient temperatures providing improvedflow, lubrication and less internal engine resistance during cold starts.Under high heat conditions, the oil resists thermal breakdown/shearing which causes a loss oflubrication quality with conventional oils.Using BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil eliminates the need for seasonal oil changes sinceit covers all ambient temperature ranges.

This post here might be the light at the end of the tunnel you are in:
                            BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) - View Single Post - The definitive Castrol TWS 10W-60 thread
                            Although I see what you're saying, I'm not entirely sure whether I should agree fully.

Castrol and BMW have been in a partnership for many years (which ended at the end of 2014). Of course BMW would recommend Castrol, it would be strange if they didn't... Now, in 2015 BMW has a new partnership with Shell and now they recommend Shell... Even though BMW recommended TWS 10w60 and it says so on the bottle, it doesn't mean that this is indeed the best oil for the car. Maybe Castrol just couldn't make something that was better and BMW was stuck with them due to the contract they had?

The only reason people have searched for an alternative oil for their M cars was because they were looking for a solution for the tight clearance that the rod bearings have in the engine... Many engines actually broke completely because of the lack of lubrication in those crucial parts which is why people chose to go for something like 0w40 to ensure that the oil could reach the tighter areas in the engine at colder temperatures.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by 0-60 View Post
                            Well Ferrari use Shell Helix 10w60 and since BMW has switched over to Shell as the official Oil Supplier now I am going to try the Shell in my M3. Dont forget the Ferraris also rev to or past 8k rpm's so you should be fine with this.

Plus for the E9X M3 I think they recommend switching to 0W40? I cant remember exactly.
                            Do you have a source for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Froglet View Post
                              Although I see what you're saying, I'm not entirely sure whether I should agree fully.

Castrol and BMW have been in a partnership for many years (which ended at the end of 2014). Of course BMW would recommend Castrol, it would be strange if they didn't... Now, in 2015 BMW has a new partnership with Shell and now they recommend Shell... Even though BMW recommended TWS 10w60 and it says so on the bottle, it doesn't mean that this is indeed the best oil for the car. Maybe Castrol just couldn't make something that was better and BMW was stuck with them due to the contract they had?

The only reason people have searched for an alternative oil for their M cars was because they were looking for a solution for the tight clearance that the rod bearings have in the engine... Many engines actually broke completely because of the lack of lubrication in those crucial parts which is why people chose to go for something like 0w40 to ensure that the oil could reach the tighter areas in the engine at colder temperatures.

- - - - - - - - - -

Do you have a source for that?
                              Its in the news. Google it.
                              EURO 04 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X