Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting your car from the UAE summer sun!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting your car from the UAE summer sun!!!!!

Hi Guys,

I want to start a thread on the various measures you all take to protect your car's paint, rubber and interiors from the UAE Summer sun!!

as you all know we have one of the harshest summers and the sun can do some serious damage over time.

So list down your practices and recommendations for others to follow suit and protect your prized possession
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

wow...no suggestions? :(
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

It's hard since underground parking is not always available and covering your car is not an easy option since individuals in the UAE are always in some sort of a rush.

Finding a shaded spot could be a solution but not always available.

I managed to workout a solution, it might not be the best but I think it works well, the solution is to keep the car(s) dusty/dirty so the sun does not directly hit the paint, always manage to have a layer or dust/sand on my cars parked in the sun (Y)
      - E82, 1M - Current
      • Akrapovic Exhaust • BMW Performance Seats • BMW Performance Steering Wheel
      - E30, 316 Touring - Current
      • BBS Rims • Eibach Lowering Springs • Some Engine Modifications
      - Nissan Xterra - Off Road - Current
      E36, 318 Touring Sold
      E36, M3 Evo Sold

Facebook Instagram SnapChat

Click HERE to get your BMW ///M Bracelets from BMW Club UAE

Comment

obviously the best solution is to keep it in the shade, even if it isn't an underground parking, any shade will keep the car away for direct UV rays, this is what destroys the car, never mind the heat which has its contribution as well.

In lack of that, i don't think there is much you can do, use a proper windscreen shade, a good ceramic tint with high UV grade reflection and as much as possible wax it and keep it clean and try leaving couple of windows rolled down 3-4cm so the heat trapped inside dissipates. The layer of dust/sand on the car will not help, on the contrary, it will heat up even more the paint, a good paint protection and wax will reflect the heat and UV rays. Plus imagine that at 50C ouside, the body of the car heats up to probably cca 70C so fine dust particles might get embedded in the clear coat and will make it become rough over time.

One other i thing i do, though luckily mine is always underground both at office and home, i let the hood 25-30cm lifted, once the car is parked, so that the heat in the engine bay dissipates a lot quicker in order to avoid cooking up prematurely all rubber and plastic elements in that area, OCD, i know, i can't be cured though :)
        Last edited by mik15; 10-06-2015, 05:20 PM.
        '09 RS6 V10 BiTurbo - current
        '08 BMW 540i Mpack - sold
        '04 Audi RS6 - sold
        '01 Audi A8 D2 4.2 - sold
        '06 BMW 750Li - sold
        '05 BMW X5 4.8is Blue Le Mans - sold
        '12 Golf GTi DSG Superchips stage 1 - sold
        '11 Passat 1.8T DSG - sold
        '01 540i M-pack - sold
        '08 Cayenne Turbo - sold
        '09 Porsche Cayenne - sold
        '04 Audi RS6 ABT - sold
        '04 VW Phaeton - sold
        SLK 230K - sold
        E46 330i -sold
        E46 330i M-Pack - sold
        Jaguar X-type - sold

Comment

good tips guys... thanks..

unfortunately i dont have shaded parking at home :( i do have it at work though...so 1 of my car is always protected during day time (i keep rotating between the two every 2 days).

i can see the rubber and plastic getting damaged as time passes and its really killing me...

i do put double window shades and i have high grade tint, but it still doesnt do much for the interior :(

How often do you wax the car? Do you do it yourself or get it done from somewhere?
          Current
          E92 M3 - Mineral White
          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
          E36 318is
          E39 540i ///M sport
          VW CC
          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

the only way is underground parking man
            sigpic
            • BMS Dual intake system • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e Tial BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg3 map • Fox super SS cutback • MMP 2.5 Turbo inlets & outlets • CF Front Splitter Lip Diffuser

When fast cars become cheap, the wrong type of people buy them
            and the e36 M3 is one of the biggest victims of this phenomenon" - BMW Car Magazine

Comment

The first thing I did when I got my car was to get Heat Reflection or Reduction film for the windows and windshields including sun roof. In addition a weekly wash and wax helps keep the paint looking great. Apart from that I also take the pain to treat my interiors with leather and vinyl protection plus tyres.

Last but not least if I cannot find shade or covered parking during the day I ensure I use a good Sun Shield for the Windshield (infact two) and Windows. A cloth cut to measurement of the dashboard and rolled out before i get down and plus I keep a few chamois leather squares on the front seats and steering wheel. In addition I keep my Sunroof Lifted and the 4 window down about a 1Cm to let the hot air dissipate.

Bit over the top I guess and people who have come with me say i am certainly mad. But i believe prevention is better than cure (A)

Comment

+1 on Sari's suggestion. Don't wash the car too often and keep a nice layer of dust on it. I never worry about the plastics and rubbers in the engine bay.

The problem with the interior is that it heats up very quickly and the temperatures can rise upto 75 or 80 Cs. This is like green house effect and unless the car is in a proper shade, the window shades and tints will not do much. In fact, the high grade tint works against you and traps the heat inside the car. The only solution to his is to leave the sunroof tilted if you have one or leave the windows opened a little so that the hot air can escape the car and it does not become a pressure cooker.
                sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Washing / Detailing my cars has been a hobby for my for the past 28 years here in Dubai; I have met during BBQ occasions people from Dupont. Sigma, Nippon and other paint companies and was able gather some good information on how to best protect paint on a car.

Keeping dust on car paint is definitely not the way to protect paint. Dust in this region is so sharp and polluted with harmful particles for your paint, that it acts as sand paper; even the slightest movement by wind can cause minuscule marks. It also does not reduce the UV impact. The best to keep your paint protected is to wash your car once a week by yourself, with plenty of pre-rinse, and foam wash (by hand) that has carnauba wax in it. Use proper quality fiber-cloths. If you cannot wash your car yourself, avoid the automated car washes. Find manual car washes where they clean the inside first, than the outside. This avoids dust from inside the car in front of you to be deposited on your clean washed paint, and than be "polished"into your paint while they dry your car. Let them use clean fiber-cloths that you provide. Most car washes use hand towels made of hard cotton. Bad!

Use a car wash solution with Carnauba wax, even that very thin layer that is deposited while washing, provides a strong protective temporally layer, enhances the shine, and keeps paint away from impact by pollution and UV. The added advantage is that dust has less ability to stick on it It also helps protecting black / plain plastics parts; they look way better after 3 or 4 times washing like I described. The other thing is to keep the car garage parked when possible. Do not park under tree's. The birth crap, and tree juices are really bad for paint; much worse than parking in the plain sun does.

Last thing, its amazing how satisfying I find taking care of the paint of our cars. I do it weekly, even in 50c heat, in the comfort of the shadow my garage.

Ps: Its hard to find any paint restore/protection companies in Dubai that do not cause more harm than solution: Avoiding the need to use commercial paint protection companies is the best method.
                  Last edited by edino; 22-07-2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

You definitely are blessed to be able to wash and detail your own car. I speak for myself, I wish I am able to wash the car but unfortunately Apartment rules don't permit me to do so. I have seen the cheap quality of soap and the wasted rags that these so called car washes use, plus have had the misfortune of losing a side mirror in one them automated car washes thanks to those whip like rags.

I seriously wish someone can open a car washing place where customers can wash their own cars and do what ever they please. Imagine a few bays for washing plus a few closed bays for detailing. Now wouldn't that be a wish come true for most of us here in the UAE.

If anyone is starting this - please credit me for the idea. :thumbsup2:

Comment

Thanks Edino for this lovely information. Any recommended brands with Carnauba wax in them?
                      Current
                      E92 M3 - Mineral White
                      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                      E36 318is
                      E39 540i ///M sport
                      VW CC
                      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I have been using AmorAll Ultra Shine Wash & Wax for many years now; it gives great results.

It is available in ACE, and comes in 1.89 liter packing. Use it generously. Success!

Comment

Adding to Edino, Meguiars would also be a great choice!

- - - - - - - - - -

Meguiars would also be a great choice!

Comment

Working...
                          X