87 635CSI restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 635CSI restoration

Started on the 6er today didn't get much done as the battery was flat and the way the previous owner had the remote lock setup was completely electrical and the key wouldn't unlock the doors. Opened the trunk and ran a current through the wires to unlock the car with the remote, popped the hood and jump started it. Lots of the bolts are seized so I'm letting them soak tonight in rust remover and will try again tomorrow, if they don't budge will resort to using a blow torch to heat them up.

Parts:

Lifted and ready:

Couldn't get more pics, after that my hands up to my wrists were covered in dirt, grime and axle grease.

Managed to replace both front sway bar end links, removed both rear sway bar end links but might need a press to fit in the new ones, also unbolted the central tie rod assembly as well as the tie rod ends but haven't removed them off, will pull in a hydraulic lifter tomorrow to remove them.
    Last edited by ///DN; 05-07-2015, 05:04 PM.

Love these cars. Next time get a buddy with a DSLR to take pics ;)
    EURO 04 M3
    Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60 View Post
      Love these cars. Next time get a buddy with a DSLR to take pics ;)
      Will do (Y) I've got a DSLR I'll try to get a buddy over to take some shots of the progress, either way once parts are swapped will change out brakes get an alignment done and take her for a nice long drive on some scenic roads and will get some good shots.

Comment

Very nice
        sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Looking forward to see how this progress.

Comment

Good luck!

Looks like a clean and a wonderful place to work on cars, is that a personal garage?
            - E82, 1M - Current
            • Akrapovic Exhaust • BMW Performance Seats • BMW Performance Steering Wheel
            - E30, 316 Touring - Current
            • BBS Rims • Eibach Lowering Springs • Some Engine Modifications
            - Nissan Xterra - Off Road - Current
            E36, 318 Touring Sold
            E36, M3 Evo Sold

Facebook Instagram SnapChat

Click HERE to get your BMW ///M Bracelets from BMW Club UAE

Comment

Not meant to disclose but it's actually at AGMC, I can use this area with my own tools when it's not needed, unfortunately my very close friend's family is going through a very hard time with a loss of a family member so I've put the beemer out and have spent most my free time with them for support. I'll jump right back in after eid and should be done in 1-2 days and I'm having sort out replacing the ac temp sensor and patch up the wiring. Luckily there are 3 mechanics there who have first hand experience working on this model car and have given me great guidance. So keeping my fingers crossed by the end of the week or the week after eid I'll have it in shape for a small 100km shake down round trip coupled with proper dslr shots.
              I'm used to photographing landscapes, nature/plants and animals haven't done much of cars so any advice on settings for aperture and shutter speed etc would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ///DN View Post
                Not meant to disclose but it's actually at AGMC, I can use this area with my own tools when it's not needed, unfortunately my very close friend's family is going through a very hard time with a loss of a family member so I've put the beemer out and have spent most my free time with them for support. I'll jump right back in after eid and should be done in 1-2 days and I'm having sort out replacing the ac temp sensor and patch up the wiring. Luckily there are 3 mechanics there who have first hand experience working on this model car and have given me great guidance. So keeping my fingers crossed by the end of the week or the week after eid I'll have it in shape for a small 100km shake down round trip coupled with proper dslr shots.
                I'm used to photographing landscapes, nature/plants and animals haven't done much of cars so any advice on settings for aperture and shutter speed etc would be appreciated.
                How interesting, thought i noticed an overly cleaned garage :)

Lets arrange a shoot maybe some of our unique car owners or old schoolers can join if you dont mind.
                - E82, 1M - Current
                E36, 318 Touring Sold
                E36, M3 Evo Sold

Comment

Definitely, sounds like fun! :)
                  I really don't mind if it's an oldies shoot or open to all

Comment

Sure we will plan something when you baby is done!

Just let us know when you have visibility on the date.
                    - E82, 1M - Current
                    E36, 318 Touring Sold
                    E36, M3 Evo Sold

Comment

Very jealous....not of the car, but the use of a lift at AGMC. Can do most things on my e36 without the lift, except transmission related jobs. The car is awesome, had a friend in Muscat when growing up, and his mother used to drive the 6 series, I used to love being driven around in it.
                      '94 Avus Blue e36 m3
                      2007 LWB Prado. 2" IVD lift.GPS 276C.Bashplate.Rear Pintle Hook

Comment

Finally got a little bit of progress done,

Soaking everything in rust remover really helped alot when the time came to remove those bolts, Especially the rear links wouldn't budge at all but today with an air gun it was a breeze. All the ball joint ends are firmly in and only one came off with prying the rest will need to be hammered or with a ball joint removal tool. Feels good to get my hands dirty again.

Comment

i love restoring old cars. you will instantly notice improvement in ride quality. every part you install is a step closer to old school perfection.

from my experience just replace everything that has rubber because it might come back and hunt you if ignored. otherwise looks good.

Comment

What are you using for rust remover?
                            '94 Avus Blue e36 m3
                            2007 LWB Prado. 2" IVD lift.GPS 276C.Bashplate.Rear Pintle Hook

Comment

Mannol rust dissolver, found it in one of the parts stores and they said they don't have any rust remover until i pointed it out on the shelf. It's a dark blue can with a yellow cap which worked quite well to free up rusted bolts. I've completed replacing the suspension bushings and ball joints, still need to get an alignment done but I'm just waiting for a lower wishbone arm i forgot to order and should arrive next week. In the meantime I've replaced the brakes, pads and hand brake shoes and will get the exhaust de-catted. Once the lower arms come it shouldn't be more than a 10min swap and have it ready for good long test drive to shake it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X