No announcement yet.

87 635CSI restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The valves have been marked so these have been removed before, going to have a closer look on Sunday over these.

The topside of the cylinder head looks in very good condition.

Here are the cylinder walls, no signs of scoring.
    Cyl#1

Cyl#2

Cyl#3

Cyl#4

Cyl#5

Cyl#6

Pistons are very dirty, we're going to put them through an ultrasonic cleaner and see how they come out.

Keeping my fingers crossed the re-assembly will be just as smooth as the disassembly.

Comment

Proper overhaul!!! well done (Y)
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Had some parts of the engine blasted, all the water passages of the block are clean and had the rust removed

The valve cover is going to get painted along with the block

Exhaust got done to clean up all off the carbon deposits

Intake might get painted as well, the inside was cleaned very well and the finish is smoother.

After taking some measurements we found out that cylinder #6 is slightly out of round and the rest of the cylinders are just out of spec so we'll have that bored and go with the slightly larger "special" pistons, the top of the block is flat and just needs to be cleaned up to the correct RA. The cylinder head is slightly warped, the 0.05mm would fit under a few areas of the straight edge but the 0.1mm wouldn't go through anywhere. Maybe by Thursday we'll have the cam and valves out so we can send out the head and block for machining after the weekend.

I spent Tuesday repairing the wiring, just need to go over and make sure nothing was missed before cleaning and taping up the wires. I still have the engine bay wiring loom I need to swap and a few modifications for the auto to manual conversion, aside from that will be audio and that's getting complete new wiring.

Shout out to Eddie @EPBlast for doing an awesome job on the blasting.

Comment

Do you think she will be ready by Nov for bimmerfestUAE?
          Current
          E92 M3 - Mineral White
          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
          E36 318is
          E39 540i ///M sport
          VW CC
          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

where are you doing the blasting work at?

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
              Do you think she will be ready by Nov for bimmerfestUAE?
              I'm really hoping I don't miss this bimmerfest, it'll be close. The wiring is almost done, so I'll have October to overhaul the engine, get the interior done and put everything back together. Damn better get off my ***.

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
              where are you doing the blasting work at?
              Edward did the blasting for me, you can check him out at: EP Blast – Mobile Surface Solutions

Comment

I took the block and cylinder head down to the machine shop yesterday so they can have a look at it, they said they wouldn't be able to get the out of round by boring up to the "special" size (92.08mm) so we'll need to go to "oversize 1" (92.25mm)
                Put in an order for the oversized pistons and rings from BMW and once those are here will hand them over to the machine shop with the valves so they can go ahead with the work.

Saturday will cut out this harness and swap over the one from the white 6.

Also got some boxes of joy a few days ago.

This old friend is back again for the final time, going to pillage the LSD, recaros and a few other things before he gets put out of his misery.

Comment

curious to know who is doing the port job?

you are almost there

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                    curious to know who is doing the port job?

you are almost there
                    Trinity mechanical services in al quoz, a few people recommended them to me but this is my first experience with them so I'll see how it goes.

Comment

Amazing build thread. Have been watching this for weeks and can't wait to see it once complete!

Comment

Got the block and head back from the machine shop, they did the valve seating as well as pressure testing the head. The head had one coolant port slightly chipped and two small corroded pits which they managed to completely fix. The quality of their work was quite good but they sure as hell gave me a lot of grief with communication.

Got the miller gen3 maf.

The block got painted as well, we're going to let it sit over the weekend for the paint to harden, we're going to assemble the head and after the weekend pair them up.

Recaros picked up and I assembled them. These look great.. can't wait until they're bolted in.

Comment

Looking good! What's next on the list once the engine is back in the car ?

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE
                          Current
                          E92 M3 - Mineral White
                          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                          E36 318is
                          E39 540i ///M sport
                          VW CC
                          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                            Looking good! What's next on the list once the engine is back in the car ?

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE
                            Thanks, we're assembling the engine up on Sunday, we need to check all the wires we repaired, do do some minor modifications for the manual swap (change the throttle position sensor & ground the start relay) as well as lay in all new audio wiring. Swap out the shocks and springs, get the carpet and headliner done, then mount up the engine and gearbox to measure up what length driveshaft we need and finally put her all back together. I'm still waiting on some parts to come in from Germany as well as order up some more parts.

If this thread goes cold and I stop updating please come visit me in the psych ward.

Comment

looool.... After all this work, your car deserves a showroom space!
                              Current
                              E92 M3 - Mineral White
                              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                              E36 318is
                              E39 540i ///M sport
                              VW CC
                              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Absolutely! You have spend soo much time & money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                sigpic
                                Current
                                E92 M3 2011
                                # White Angel Eyes # Carbon fibre Roof # Silverstone II Metallic with Full extended Red Interior
                                # H&R sport springs #19' APEX ACR-8 rims with P-zero tyres # Bimmertech Tv system
                                # Full IPE F1 Exhaust system all sections , with GINTANI burble tune

Previous
                                E36 M3 Evo Convertible 'me Jane'
                                # Manual 5 speed with Auto LSD 3.38 with Individual Magma Interior # BBS LMs 18 Rims with Chrome Lip
                                # UUC shortshifter & UUC aluminium Flywheel and E39 M5 clutch Kit # Long Beach Blue Metallic

E60 M5 'me Julie'
                                # Eisennmann Race Exhaust # Updated Rear Lights

Comment

Working...
                                X