No announcement yet.

87 635CSI restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The camber plates are actually part of the top mount were the shock attaches with adjustable +/- 30min of camber, I'll be ordering those with the shocks and springs but will nees to make sure there is enough clearance in the front for with it lowered 1.25".

Now with the spacers I'll need slightly (~2mm) longer wheel bolts to get the enough turns of thread from the bolts so i was planning to drive the 6 while i go look to see if i can spot any areas that need attention. And of course one had to show up, went to fill the tank and even before the tank was full petrol started pouring out from underneath the car so not going for a test drive/photo shoot after all. Had a look from the trunk and we cpuld clearly see the o-ring for the sending unit was where it was leaking, put in an order and once it's here we'll drop the tank, examine all the hoses and inspect the inside of the tank as well.

Comment

One day. One day i will restore a 6 series of my own. Thanks for sharing the experience and for the update
      Tarek Ghannam

Comment

looks decent and admire the restoration work
        Just had to mention when I saw the Key picture
        it drove lots of memories for my first ever BMW E30 1989
        good luck with all the work
        sigpic
        E46FANATIC

Comment

Replaced the o-ring on the fuel pump and sender yesterday and replaced one hose we managed to break while reassembling everything back. Seal seems to be holding tight but holding back on driving the car around until proper wheel bolts are installed.

Before ordering the wheel bolts from the US i wanted to know if anyone on the forum knows if these are available locally, (M14x1.25) but will need to be 2-5mm longer than stock. Haven't been able to find any through the shj industrial shops.

[standard bolts turn 7 rotations before reaching specified torque whereas they need to have 9 full rotations to withstand the load.]

Greatly appreciate any info you guys might have. I'm really itching to take this on a drive down to fujairah

Comment

For longer bolts i would try one of the sharjah scrap yards or MSW

Comment

Thanks, wanted to avoid "used" parts as it usually is a hassle getting what you need with them telling you it'll fit fine to anything they give you. MSW only had 40mm bolts that need to be cut down to size plus they qouted a ridiculous amount. I'll order a set from the US but thought it would be good to know if a supplier here incase a bilt gets stripped or damaged you can get it sorted in a day or two opposed to waiting for shipping.

Comment

While waiting for the bolts thought we could sort out the rough idle, still on the to do is to inspect the distributor rotor and the "fingers" in the distributor cap, also to check for any vacuum leaks. Today pulled out the AFM (air flow meter/old school maf) firstly it was covered in grime, also the door was very loose at the very begining and the wiper arm was set at the very edge and would pop off the carbon track if tapping on the gas pedal at idle, we moved the clock gear and set it so the door would swing completely without resistance increasing, slightly rotated the arm tp always stay on the carbon track and did some voltage tests which showed it should be working completely fine as well as the temperature sensor. Tomorrow going to pull off the throttle body and give it a major cleaning and all surrounding areas before reassembling and testing out the afm. Funnily enough the afm door were there was the least resistance at the begining actually had more resistance to push open before we cleaned the grime off, i don't know if whoever previously opened this up actually adjusted because it was sticking without actually trying to clean it.

Comment

After cleaning up the throttle body and reassembling everything back, started the car, the response from the afm was spot on, engine ran smoother but was still a bit rough and would stumble on idle if you tap the accelerator. So played with the afm and got it to run rich and no black smoke came out the exhaust, with the engine starting right up every time and doesn't struggle it looks like the injectors are the main culprit. After the eid holidays will put some time aside to adjust the valves, replace the cylinder head gaskets and pull out the injectors and get them overhauled. Crossing fingers when it all gets back in it'll run right and we can move on with the restoration.

Comment

Finally picked up the extended wheel bolts on Monday, on Tuesday put some injector cleaner in the tank, made sure the battery had enough charge in it and headed out for a 110km round trip.
                    Performance vastly improved, slight misfiring but that will be dealt with in short time. A few of the pics I got:

Last edited by ///DN; 23-09-2015, 06:30 PM.

Comment

looking good my friend! slowly but surely she is getting there :)

Kudos for a job done extremely well :)
                      Current
                      E92 M3 - Mineral White
                      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                      E36 318is
                      E39 540i ///M sport
                      VW CC
                      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Thanks, just a few mechanical issues left to sort with, I'll try to get her down to bimmerfest. It'll be fun to meet all you guys.

Comment

Wow she is looking amazing! She has to make an appearance at bimmerfest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          sigpic
                          Current
                          E92 M3 2011
                          # White Angel Eyes # Carbon fibre Roof # Silverstone II Metallic with Full extended Red Interior
                          # H&R sport springs #19' APEX ACR-8 rims with P-zero tyres # Bimmertech Tv system
                          # Full IPE F1 Exhaust system all sections , with GINTANI burble tune

Previous
                          E36 M3 Evo Convertible 'me Jane'
                          # Manual 5 speed with Auto LSD 3.38 with Individual Magma Interior # BBS LMs 18 Rims with Chrome Lip
                          # UUC shortshifter & UUC aluminium Flywheel and E39 M5 clutch Kit # Long Beach Blue Metallic

E60 M5 'me Julie'
                          # Eisennmann Race Exhaust # Updated Rear Lights

Comment

Haha she looks much better in the photos than in real life, the paint job is horrible, loose door handles, headlights/taillights need replacing as well as all exterior chrome and rubber parts

Comment

Looks great
                              EURO 04 M3
                              Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

Looking awesome!

And I must ask about the location as well!!!
                                Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                                Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                                Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                                Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                                1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                                Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                                eMail:
                                Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Working...
                                X