Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towel-less Wash - for DIY fans

Well, I thought this is worth a share..

I do like to take good care of my car, specially in this weather where sand particles are sharp and small. They're easily undetectable, and with a rub of any cloth can create a permanent hair-line scratch, and with time you'll see your car full of scratches and that glossy shine is gone.

Now. If you wash the dirt off, rather than cleaning it or rubbing it (like what they do here in all stations) you'll end up saving the paint and protecting the shine. Because if you spray soap on the car and rub it, you'll end up moving all the sand particles along the sides of the car, scratching the paint off.

Here's how to protect your car, and what tools are required.

A. Things You Need:

1. Water Source (I don't have Jet Washing Machine, so I'm using a 2x2L Spray Pump)
    2. Car Soap.
    3. Multi-Purpose Spray Can (Bottom Left).
    4. High Quality Drying Towel.
    5. High Quality MicroFiber Towel.
    6. Regular Towel.

B. How To:

1. Rinse the car with water, about 4L. Try not to miss any spot.
    2. Mix Soap (0.4L) with water (0.6L) inside the multipurpose spray can and use it evenly on the car. Use about 0.75L of the mixture.
    3. Use about 6L of water to wash the car off. This will wash the soap, and dirt off your car. Do NOT touch the car just yet. Repeat this step until the soap is completely washed off.
    4. Use the drying towel to dry the car off. Dry the body first, leave the windows and the wheels.
    5. Use the microfiber towel to dry the windows off, and apply it one more time to the body even if it's dry. It will remove any dry water marks that are left behind.
    6. Use the regular tower to clean the rims and the wheels off.

C. OUTCOME

Note: Not the best pictures but you can see how shiny the car is.

Feel free to ask me anything about it :D

Happy Washing!
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

nothing more satisfying that putting elbow grease into your beloved cars! would love to do this unfortunately i do not have the luxury of a basement parking :(
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Another method is to wax regularly. The sand and towel rubbing will be rubbing off wax instead of paint and re-apply every few months. I did this with my black cruiser but as a desert rig and after introducing the complete right side to a bunch of branches i don't care about scratches on it anymore, I'll wax it 2-4 times a year just to keep the paint glossy and when the time comes it'll get a full re-spray.

Comment

Good advices gentlemen [MENTION=2]RAFiK[/MENTION] your way is similar to my way in washing my car
        Start with the body them move to the windows and last is the Tyers.

Comment

yep :D

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
          Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
          eMail:
          Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Do you guys know any place where you can find a backpack reservoir with a hand pump attached, that would make it easy too :)

Comment

have you tried Ace Hardware?
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I haven't yet, i live in Abu Dhabi and i guess that's in Dubai, have any map links to the location ? ill drop by sometime and check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Constantin View Post
                  I haven't yet, i live in Abu Dhabi and i guess that's in Dubai, have any map links to the location ? ill drop by sometime and check it out.
                  Yes, they have 2 branches in Dubai...one on Sheikh Zayed Road after Time Square Centre and the other in Dubai Festival City. Google Maps has the coordinates for both.

Google Maps

Google Maps
                  Current
                  E92 M3 - Mineral White
                  F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                  E36 318is
                  E39 540i ///M sport
                  VW CC
                  E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

No need to go all the way to Dubai; Ace hardware is located in Abu Dhabi Mina right next to Toys R Us and Action Zone. Here you go:

Google Maps

Comment

Great!

Originally posted by moaherzallah View Post
                      No need to go all the way to Dubai; Ace hardware is located in Abu Dhabi Mina right next to Toys R Us and Action Zone. Here you go:

Google Maps

Lucky me i work in Mina and Toys R Us is close to me, thank's alot Moaher!:D

Comment

I used this method, for quite a while. I used 2 hand pump bottles with water and the other with shampoo diluted. However, it does ruin your paint as there isn't enough lurbrication and dust and sand caused scratches. Still you need to get the car pressure washed every two weeks atleast. The Best option would be using Meguairs, wash and wax anywhere (Waterless car wash), with the two quality microfibre towels. trust me the quality of your towel plays a big role in keeping your car free or minimal scratching. Once you've done cleaning you will notice that your towels are soaking wet, as this product uses some sort of molecular liquid expansion. I every now and then use an exterior quick detailer to give it a just waxed look or even a use a cleaner wax. that way you keep the ride shiny.

Hopefully now i don't have to wash as much since i got the car ceramic coated:thumbsup2:. Noticed one thing is that dust doesn't settle on the car like it used to before the coating. Easily blows off when driving. Water sheets quickly, and best of all, prevents bird droppings from burning the clear.

Comment

Originally posted by hgangesh View Post
                          I used this method, for quite a while. I used 2 hand pump bottles with water and the other with shampoo diluted. However, it does ruin your paint as there isn't enough lurbrication and dust and sand caused scratches. Still you need to get the car pressure washed every two weeks atleast. The Best option would be using Meguairs, wash and wax anywhere (Waterless car wash), with the two quality microfibre towels. trust me the quality of your towel plays a big role in keeping your car free or minimal scratching. Once you've done cleaning you will notice that your towels are soaking wet, as this product uses some sort of molecular liquid expansion. I every now and then use an exterior quick detailer to give it a just waxed look or even a use a cleaner wax. that way you keep the ride shiny.

Hopefully now i don't have to wash as much since i got the car ceramic coated:thumbsup2:. Noticed one thing is that dust doesn't settle on the car like it used to before the coating. Easily blows off when driving. Water sheets quickly, and best of all, prevents bird droppings from burning the clear.

You won't scratch the car if you pour soap and lots of water on the car. As the water/soap washes off the car, the dust will fall off with them.

Ceramic coating is probably one of the best things done to protect your vehicle. Only problem is that it doesn't last much with this severe harsh climate.

Need Assistance?
                          eMail:
                          Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Certainly Rafik, lots of water and soap is the way. However, in our Apartment, there is a strict enforcement of people washing cars with buckets and use of water.

With regards, to the ceramic coat, the detailers have guaranteed it for two years, however, you need to get a top up coat maybe after two years to prolong that life of the original coat. Plus they have given me a goody bag with some stuff to use every now and then to keep it preserved. The products, they give are Shampoo and a cure spray, that you need to just spray on the car after it has been washed and shampooed and wet. Rinse off after a few seconds.

Wax and sealant will not last in this weather for sure. Its been close to a month, since i got it done and still feels like glass.

Comment

Working...
                            X