Service contract vs independent service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service contract vs independent service

I just bought 2015 BMW 520i but this car doesn't come with any service contract. Car is bought from AGMC. Also warranty comes with standard 2 year warranty.

Please suggest whether taking service contract from AGMC is good choice or I should go with independent service with local workshops ?? (Abu Dhabi motors refused to provide separate service contract)

Also suggest what is repair contract as AGMC provided me seperate quotation for 5years/100,000 KM SERVICE AND REPAIR contract.

For warranty Arabia insurance is offering additional warranty for 4 years / unlimited KMs as well. Is it a good choice to take???

First of all welcome to our forums,

Now before we move on, you need to differentiate between Warranty and Service Contract. Warranty does cover any factory faults and errors (i.e Faulty Engine, Faulty A/C, Faulty Lights, Labor Charges for Warranty Repairs...etc). However, service contracts cover wear and tear items (i.e Brakes, Discs, Wiper Blades, Engine Driving Belt...etc).

Now, AGMC does offer for some models 2 Year Warranty (Unlimited Mileage), with or without a service contract. Now my advice is, if you have warranty it is advisable to purchase a service contract.

Picture this, you're driving one day, and out of the odds your engine breaks down. You take your car back to AGMC, and they tell you that the car needs a new engine which will be covered under warranty. The warranty covers the parts only but not the labor charges due to unavailability of service contract. So you'll be charged an arm and a leg for replacing the engine.

Bottom line, with warranty, get a contract. I believe AGMC does sell the contract for 4K AED for 5 years/100,000 kms.

Good luck!
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Very good suggestion and points made my Rafik.

On the other hand, if you follow the old school maintenance schedule. The probability of a catastrophic failure is negligible.

You have to calculate how many services AGMC will do for 4k in 100k kms and what is included in the service package.

Does anyone know if AGMC have started servicing the cars at 10k kms.
      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Within the warranty period any warranty repairs are covered 100% parts + labour.

BMW "goodwill" is used once out of warranty and is under their discretion of how much parts or labour will be paid if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by RAFiK View Post
          First of all welcome to our forums,

Now before we move on, you need to differentiate between Warranty and Service Contract. Warranty does cover any factory faults and errors (i.e Faulty Engine, Faulty A/C, Faulty Lights, Labor Charges for Warranty Repairs...etc). However, service contracts cover wear and tear items (i.e Brakes, Discs, Wiper Blades, Engine Driving Belt...etc).

Now, AGMC does offer for some models 2 Year Warranty (Unlimited Mileage), with or without a service contract. Now my advice is, if you have warranty it is advisable to purchase a service contract.

Picture this, you're driving one day, and out of the odds your engine breaks down. You take your car back to AGMC, and they tell you that the car needs a new engine which will be covered under warranty. The warranty covers the parts only but not the labor charges due to unavailability of service contract. So you'll be charged an arm and a leg for replacing the engine.

Bottom line, with warranty, get a contract. I believe AGMC does sell the contract for 4K AED for 5 years/100,000 kms.

Good luck!
          AGMC is selling two services services:

1. Service contract - 17K
          2. Repair Contract (Warranty) - 4.5 K

They have mentioned - The following wear repairs as well as maintenance and service procedures on vehicles conforming to ex-factory specifications (including oil, labor and necessary genuine BMW parts) are inclusive:

-Engine oil change (not including refill quantities) and inspections as well as vehicle check;
          -service/replacement of air cleaner, fuel filter, micro filter, spark plugs, brake fluid;
          -front and rear brakes (brake discs and pads);
          -clutch (only if worn);
          -windscreen wipers/blades (as part of engine oil change if necessary);
          -standard scope in accordance with BMW service booklet

Now i am confused whether above is included in standard BMW warranty or not. If its is not included than what is the difference in service contract and repair contract (warranty).

Under 100,000 KM, I am expecting some 6-7 services (service every 10K) and as far as I understand in this part of world one should go for oil change every 10K KM which means I have to go for 4-5 oil change service on my own. Let me know what group feels on this. Regarding per service cost I make to understand this will be average around 1-1.5K for every service which means for 6-7 service it will cost me around 7-10K, group please provide insights

Comment

Originally posted by akshitdewan View Post

They have mentioned - The following wear repairs as well as maintenance and service procedures on vehicles conforming to ex-factory specifications (including oil, labor and necessary genuine BMW parts) are inclusive:

-Engine oil change (not including refill quantities) and inspections as well as vehicle check;
            -service/replacement of air cleaner, fuel filter, micro filter, spark plugs, brake fluid;
            -clutch (only if worn);

Now i am confused whether above is included in standard BMW warranty or not. If its is not included than what is the difference in service contract and repair contract (warranty).

Under 100,000 KM, I am expecting some 6-7 services (service every 10K) and as far as I understand in this part of world one should go for oil change every 10K KM which means I have to go for 4-5 oil change service on my own. Let me know what group feels on this. Regarding per service cost I make to understand this will be average around 1-1.5K for every service which means for 6-7 service it will cost me around 7-10K, group please provide insights
            Can you email me your contact details? And I'll contact you tomorrow and try to get you a better deal on the service contract?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
            Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
            Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
            Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
            Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
            1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
            Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
            eMail:
            Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Service from an independent workshop will not cost you 1-1.5k.

Better get a quote for the service from in independent shop and compare the total cost. Number of services is very important to make a fair comparison. You need to check with AGMC weather they will service the car every 10k kms or as per the idrive, which is around 20k to 25k kms. You will probably get 1 brake service, or 2 if you use the brakes very hard or track the car. Clutch replacement you will not need assuming your car is an auto.

Best to check with AGMC again on what is included in the manufacturer's warranty and what are the providing for the 4.5k.

-clutch (only if worn);

sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

it really comes down to your preference and budget. i would negotiate the whole package down and take the grand agmc offer for peace of mind. if you plan on selling it off before the period expires you will be in a strong position to hold on to a decent price, if you plan on keeping it for the next 6 or 7 years or more then it really is up to you and your budget perhaps a 3rd party package can kick in but make sure they dont send you to horrible workshops. i would say either ways go ahead with the whole package from agmc. but then again the independent shops such as octane are decent for servicing our cars.

Comment

Updating after a long time 😀

First of all Happy new Year to all !!!!!

I am near to crossing first milestone I.e. 10K KM and I still haven't decided by going for contract from AGMC or independent workshop.

Few questions again (sorry for asking newbie 😀):

1. I may sold of my vehicle in next 6-12 months as I am considering moving out. Do you still suggest to go with AGMC contract of 16K for 5 year warranty or I should go with independent workshop. Max mileage I am expecting is 25-30K before I sell off this vehicle

2. Going with independent workshop for car service impacts vehicle warranty ??

3. Can someone suggest doing vehicle service from independent workshop has impact on re-sale as well ?

4. Do independent worshop update vehicle service history as well which gets updated at BMW global level ?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Updating after a long time 

First of all Happy new Year to all !!!!!

I am near to crossing first milestone I.e. 10K KM and I still haven't decided by going for contract from AGMC or independent workshop.

Few questions again (sorry for asking newbie ):

1. I may sold of my vehicle in next 6-12 months as I am considering moving out. Do you still suggest to go with AGMC contract of 16K for 5 year warranty or I should go with independent workshop. Max mileage I am expecting is 25-30K before I sell off this vehicle

2. Going with independent workshop for car service impacts vehicle warranty ??

3. Can someone suggest doing vehicle service from independent workshop has impact on re-sale as well ?

4. Do independent worshop update vehicle service history as well which gets updated at BMW global level ?

Thanks in advance

I believe if you are planning on selling the car, the value with a service contract/longer warranty is definitely going to give you a better price, however I am not sure how much more...

It all depends on who is buying it, if someone knows about this forum and know the reputation Octane Garage has then I think it won't matter that much.. but if you're selling to the rest 99% of people who automatically think serviced outside bmw = bad car... then that service contract and extended warranty is going to give you an easy sell

Comment

Working...
                    X