X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 Check Engine light due to Catalytic converter failure

When I bought my car I had a Check engine sign on my dashboard
    my guessing was a sensor that can be changed and things will go fine

I have been to several garages, all of them started to give guessing and big list of things to be checked

they are somehow right but you as owner should know in many cases if what they talk about is correct or not

note that the check engine light wont allow your car to give its best performance and will let you struggle to find an answer
    fuel consumption would also go higher beside that sometimes the car gets shaky and it wont cross the speed 60 KM/hr unless you switch the car off and on again

that light could come Due to any of the following but not limited to below from my experience

1- Cam shaft sensors
    2- Air leak issues that could come through manifold , MAF, DISA
    3- main Computer failure
    4- failure of Coils or bad spark plugs
    5- Catalytic converter

so for my case I have done most of the upper changes and every time the check engine still shows
    the last thing I went for was changing the Catalytic converter (front side of the exhaust system that replaces the headers for those who dont know where to locate it)

once I did that, Car is breathing and started to reduce fuel consumption and most important it became responsive and much faster

other solutions i hear about was to remove it and make straight pipe but I didnt want to try that
    so decided to go OEM and I am so much satisfied with the results

good luck(Y)
    sigpic
    E46FANATIC

Thanks for this post E46fanatic! it is good info that will help fellow e46 owners.

It is threads like these that makes this forum an valuable source of knowledge :)
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
      Thanks for this post E46fanatic! it is good info that will help fellow e46 owners.

It is threads like these that makes this forum an valuable source of knowledge :)
      Pleasure wazif
      I agree with you that we must build a better base as we aim to help people and make the joiners happy

I could make the thread more detailed but i was a bit in hurry, will share future experience always to help all
      Thanks for your efforts too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      E46FANATIC

Comment

Working...
      X