Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalytic converter removal

Hi guys....

I have a question about the removal or empty out the catalytic converter. Is it really benificial and increase engine performance? Or is it harmful and might destroy the engine and the system in your car ?

Thanks

Thank you for starting this great thread.

So let's discuss what the cats are there for. Cats were introduced in the late 80's early 90's to reduce the CO2 emissions. It basically consists of a hundreds of straws that allow air to pass through, and once heated they attract co2 particles. After some time these straws clog causing a semi blockage.
    Modern cars have post O2 sensors that measure the air quality after passing through cats.
    Bmws such as 335 and Mpower need that extra airflow pushing through so you find tuners such as JB4 canceling out the signal from the post O2 allowing straight pipes (catless).
    With straight pipes you lose low end pressure, yet gain on the higher end.
    There are high flow cats available which I think is the best option for those willing to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you Alaa for your point of view and your good explanation, even though in my opinion catalytic converter shouldn't be removed in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaa.B View Post
        Thank you for starting this great thread.

So let's discuss what the cats are there for. Cats were introduced in the late 80's early 90's to reduce the CO2 emissions. It basically consists of a hundreds of straws that allow air to pass through, and once heated they attract co2 particles. After some time these straws clog causing a semi blockage.
        Modern cars have post O2 sensors that measure the air quality after passing through cats.
        Bmws such as 335 and Mpower need that extra airflow pushing through so you find tuners such as JB4 canceling out the signal from the post O2 allowing straight pipes (catless).
        With straight pipes you lose low end pressure, yet gain on the higher end.
        There are high flow cats available which I think is the best option for those willing to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        +100

Exactly , So I've done this mod to almost all my cars 8-) and the only "downside" for it is basically the smell ! There is an unpleasant smell all catles cars have and sometimes it can be very irritating to some but some how I got used to it , certain mods specially going forced induction be it turbo or SC you are requires one to go catless to insure better flow and full boost .

over all unless you are driving a 1.6 honda ;P going catless will always free up some nice gains on your overall performance .

2008 E90 M3 6MT - Nardo Grey - Harrop TVS1740 SC @ 6.5PSI - UCP Pedal - Bullet Valvtronic Exhaust
        - Rouge Engineering Shifter Kit - Fabspeed X-pipe - Evolve test pipes - DEFI CR gauges/P3 Vent Gauge -
        BMW Iconic Custom Headlights - Custom Authentic Alcantara Interior .. And many other mods :P

1996 SC300- AT- SOLD
        2012 Toyota Fortuner - DD
        1994 Toyota Supra MKIV - 883 WHP ;) drag queen - Track only

Comment

Cats are mainly for emissions, and to reduce noise. They do affect performance once you play around with them. This is why its important to note that you can do one of the following to your cats. 1. Run stock cats. 2. Install Race cats, improves airflow while maintaining emissions. And finally 3. De-cats which is a straight flow without restrictions.

The only downside in taking them off completely is that you harm the atmosphere and get fuel smell. But to capitalize on taking them off and to maximize your benefits, its recommended to tune your car and to switch off the post cat O2 sensors.

Its also important to understand that taking off the cats for the sake of taking them off won't do any good. Usually people end up taking them off for a reason, either they got clogged which is not common on newer cars, or to enhance the performance, or to play with sound the machine makes.

As a personal preference I would never take them off for no reason and if my car was stock I would simply replace the cats with perhaps a race spec platform 200cells vs 400cells from the factory.

Comment

Thanks for good explanation and helpful information .
            My question, will removal of the cats affects and disturb combustion process by disturbing the work of oxygen sensors and computer.
            I heard that the computer will not work effectively in measring the amount of feul and air through combustation process.

Comment

you can go for this option if you don't want to go for tuning

X-Kitty N54 Downpipe Fix (DP Fix) - Extreme Power House

its mentioned for N54 but it will work for N55 engines

with my experience on this i do prefer tuning than dpfix cable
              sigpic
              • BMS Dual intake system • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e Tial BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg3 map • Fox super SS cutback • MMP 2.5 Turbo inlets & outlets • CF Front Splitter Lip Diffuser

When fast cars become cheap, the wrong type of people buy them
              and the e36 M3 is one of the biggest victims of this phenomenon" - BMW Car Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by yazan74 View Post
                Thanks for good explanation and helpful information .
                My question, will removal of the cats affects and disturb combustion process by disturbing the work of oxygen sensors and computer.
                I heard that the computer will not work effectively in measring the amount of feul and air through combustation process.
                every car behaves differently. it really depends on the car in question.

this is why you go for a tune after you mess around with the cats

Comment

Working...
                X