Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 SMG on period Hydraulic Unit

Hey guyz,
    My car with 50k on dash got problem of throwing gear in neutral and fault appearing "SMG on period Hydraulic Unit".
    Problem started about a month back while driving back home from work it would throw gear into neutral and i try shifting wont do and all of sudden within 30 sec shift back to 1st gear and i drive home. This started getting worse and now driving maybe 2-3km it does that and then i switch of car wait maybe 30-40min to start engine else it wont crank. With help of less professional diag tool i own, tried diagnosing and observe pressure, temp values at time fault appears. Have also done resistor trick with hydraulic unit temp sensor but didnt work out. Hood contacts are ok. Fluid level ok no leaks or kinks in pipes. If any of you faced similar issue do suggest me with solution. With my diagnose and research have concluded its either the accumulator or complete hydraulic unit need to be replaced.

So my question is in dxb is there bmw professionals having experience on M cars and who can re-condition my smg pump ???

I had an SMG in my E46 M3 , it caused me a lot of problems so I converted it to manual. If you still want to keep your SMG , read the DME by DIS and you should see the errors coming out from the smg then you can look on the forums with the errors you have to know the solution for your problem. My advice convert to manual if you like manual transmission and you will really love the car after this conversion. You will get a trouble free transmission after the conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE

Comment

Thanks bro for advise.
      Where did you do conversion ? Is ther any issues later i mean acoustic issues etc.
      How much did it cost you ?

Comment

Here is a link for the parts you will need and the prices. DIY: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

. I didn't do my conversion here as my car was in egypt but I did the whole process with the mechanic and the machining shop. There are two tricky parts , the machining of the bell housing of the transmission which can be done if you find a good machining shop or better if you find a used manual gearbox damaged , you only need from it the bell housing this is only needed because you need the stick to be centered when neutral and you have the spring for the reverse as in SMG these are not put in the bell housing. second
        Is the coding of the car and I did this myself , for the clutch parts installation it is very easy and you can buy used clutch system , the m3 clutch system is the same as any 6 cylinder e46 so you can easily find it and save a lot in buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE

Comment

Originally posted by Haseeb View Post
          Hey guyz,
          My car with 50k on dash got problem of throwing gear in neutral and fault appearing "SMG on period Hydraulic Unit".
          Problem started about a month back while driving back home from work it would throw gear into neutral and i try shifting wont do and all of sudden within 30 sec shift back to 1st gear and i drive home. This started getting worse and now driving maybe 2-3km it does that and then i switch of car wait maybe 30-40min to start engine else it wont crank. With help of less professional diag tool i own, tried diagnosing and observe pressure, temp values at time fault appears. Have also done resistor trick with hydraulic unit temp sensor but didnt work out. Hood contacts are ok. Fluid level ok no leaks or kinks in pipes. If any of you faced similar issue do suggest me with solution. With my diagnose and research have concluded its either the accumulator or complete hydraulic unit need to be replaced.

So my question is in dxb is there bmw professionals having experience on M cars and who can re-condition my smg pump ???
          The actuator may be faulty and not holding enough pressure. listen for a whine when you unlock the car. Should give you an indication of the health of the SMG system. If its a louder then usual whine, then suggest you get it checked
          Current
          E92 M3 - Mineral White
          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
          E36 318is
          E39 540i ///M sport
          VW CC
          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Good meeting you today [MENTION=190018]Haseeb[/MENTION]

Let us know the course of action and if it fixed the problem.
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

welcome to the e46 M3 world.

Back in the days they used to replace the whole unit. These days they fix it up. check with our sponsors for a 2nd opinion.

sometimes it's the salmon relay, google it. I bought 8 units when i had my e46 m3 in 2009, if you are lucky i might still have some that i didn't distribute. might fix your problem.

Comment

Hey all,
                Ok i fixed good known smg pump and it worked. No more breakdown.

And great time at bimmerfestAE. Thanks to Wazif & Shak [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great to hear that [MENTION=190018]Haseeb[/MENTION]. Enjoy your M3 :)

Thank you for being part of Bimmerfest and making it a success.
                  Current
                  E92 M3 - Mineral White
                  F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                  E36 318is
                  E39 540i ///M sport
                  VW CC
                  E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
                  X